Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: B20a Cams

Accord of the Year - 2007

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord, CRV B20 swap.

Re: B20a Cams

Quote Originally Posted by SovietSuperSoldier
    OK I see you guys are undecisive about certain parts and what can be swapped over or what not. You can use H23/f22 rods in a b20a just fine. No jump in compression though! I thought rjudgey would at least know that! And b16/b18 pistons work but the pins are the problem. Weisco's make em for the B20a and in any cr you want. B16/B18 flywheels and clutch's work as well but with a tiny bit of modification. H22 valve springs and retainers are direct fit as well. Anything else for you guys????

Just to clarify this is not the b20 that came in the Ludes or CRV's. This is a JDM/EDM b20 out of a 3rd gen accord. I have never heard of people swapping the entire h22 valvetrain over to a b20. If that is true, that would help out with some engine builds. Where did you get your info from?
    Complete repair manual <---- (click here)

Accord of the Year - 2009

Vehicle
    Accord 2.0i-16 '87 - Accord Aerodeck EXi '89

B16/B18 valve springs and retainers fits too but the stock locks doesnt work with those. Not sure if the B16/B18 locks fit's the B20A valves though, if they do that would solve the problem.

But as far as the H22 springs and retainers goes I thought it was confirmed on preludepower that the springs would fit but the retainers wouldnt?

Link to my 3geez garage
    • Accord 2.0i-16 '87 B20A2 DOHC 16v
    • Accord Aerodeck EXi '89 Exclusive Edition

Accord of the Year - 2008

Vehicle
    89 Accord No Motor and 88 Accord HB LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdane
    H23 rods use the same piston pin size as the B20A. The lenght difference is too tiny to be significant though I think.
    Now go get yourself an aerodeck already. 770 quid does sound like a bargain
    This is good to know instead of having rod's made for my B20a i can buy a set of Eagle Rod's for H23 to go in my b20a.This is what i need to know is the rod bearings on the H23 the same size as the B20a ?
    LX-R coming soon Here's a hint. 89mm stroke/ 41.60cc head /ARP head & main stud's /SRP piston's 81.5mm 9:5:1/Crower Rod's & more to come

Vehicle
    1991 Honda Prelude Turbo: 1987 Mitsu Starion ESI-R

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdane
    B16/B18 valve springs and retainers fits too but the stock locks doesnt work with those. Not sure if the B16/B18 locks fit's the B20A valves though, if they do that would solve the problem.
    But as far as the H22 springs and retainers goes I thought it was confirmed on preludepower that the springs would fit but the retainers wouldnt?

Talk to Fly on Preludepower. He's done it;)
    And twoloudnproud, are you planning on running more than 300+whp??? If not then stock H23 rods are fine. I swear some people think they're building a Ferrari and want to upgrade every nut and bolt when they're going to be running a N/A engine that might put out 200whp.
    Last edited by SovietSuperSoldier; 10-08-2006 at 03:56 PM.
    Tonybaker12 FTW!

Vehicle

If you guys want to make some serious N/A power then your best bet would be to get some ITB's. They're good for probably another 30hp.
    Tonybaker12 FTW!

Vehicle

And twoloudnproud, are you planning on running more than 300+whp??? If not then stock H23 rods are fine. I swear some people think they're building a Ferrari and want to upgrade every nut and bolt when they're going to be running a N/A engine that might put out 200whp.
    What i want is to hit 8K or 8.5K without worring about sending a rod through the block.I am building a B20a turbo the power band i am looking at for the cams is 400 to 8500 RPMs that why i was asking about the H23 rods if the stock H23 can handle it that would be great.save me some money
    LX-R coming soon Here's a hint. 89mm stroke/ 41.60cc head /ARP head & main stud's /SRP piston's 81.5mm 9:5:1/Crower Rod's & more to come

Vehicle

Yeah those H23 rods can handle it. But what cams are you looking at? And I assume your planning on N/A? The key to revving high like that is the rotating mass(crank,rods,pistons,bearings,flywheel etc.) Lighten that and beef it up a bit and you can safely do that. Oh and the valvetrain must be up to par as well.
    Tonybaker12 FTW!

Vehicle

Yeah those H23 rods can handle it. But what cams are you looking at? And I assume your planning on N/A? The key to revving high like that is the rotating mass(crank,rods,pistons,bearings,flywheel etc.) Lighten that and beef it up a bit and you can safely do that. Oh and the valvetrain must be up to par as well.
    i am going to use CROWER TURBO CAMSHAFT B18A B18B and for the head it going in the shop for the works dont know what valve springs i am going to use yet still looking.

Accord of the Year - 2009

Vehicle
    Accord 2.0i-16 '87 - Accord Aerodeck EXi '89

No, he's the one that found out that the H22 retainers didnt work, but the springs did.

Link to my 3geez garage
    • Accord 2.0i-16 '87 B20A2 DOHC 16v
    • Accord Aerodeck EXi '89 Exclusive Edition

Vehicle

thegreatdane so can we use H23 rods in the B20a ?
    Last edited by TWOLOUDNPROUD; 10-10-2006 at 04:39 PM.

SEi User

Someone told me the H23 rods were a little longer bot by much but any extra length over the original B20A rod will increase the CR ratio as it will be lifting the pistons up higher into the chamber!! AS another thought i was thinking why don't we use the H22 rods they are a little longer and if you machine the top of the piston to fit the combustion chamber you would get adn even bigger increase in CR ratio?? Any thoughts anyone know what the exact lsize of the lenght of rods are between B20A/H23/H22??
    For the price of uprated Rods as in around $3-450 with ARP rod bolts included any application thats going to be revving past 7.5K and especially 8k or more i would strongly urge them to use aftermarket rods even with N/A engine as with continual use pass 30k miles they do break and come apart i know because i have an engine with two rods through it!!
    Plus with the extra long stroke of a B20A they tend to put that extra little bit of strain on the rods than normal too.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by rjudgey
    Someone told me the H23 rods were a little longer bot by much but any extra length over the original B20A rod will increase the CR ratio as it will be lifting the pistons up higher into the chamber!! AS another thought i was thinking why don't we use the H22 rods they are a little longer and if you machine the top of the piston to fit the combustion chamber you would get adn even bigger increase in CR ratio?? Any thoughts anyone know what the exact lsize of the lenght of rods are between B20A/H23/H22??
    For the price of uprated Rods as in around $3-450 with ARP rod bolts included any application thats going to be revving past 7.5K and especially 8k or more i would strongly urge them to use aftermarket rods even with N/A engine as with continual use pass 30k miles they do break and come apart i know because i have an engine with two rods through it!!
    Plus with the extra long stroke of a B20A they tend to put that extra little bit of strain on the rods than normal too.
    in my chilton manual the engine specification the b20a bore is 3.19in and the stroke is 3.74in the h23 bore is 3.43 and stroke is 3.74in it the same as the b20a

SEi User

Thats the stroke just because the stroke is the same doesn't mean the length of the Rods are the same depends where the piston pin is located. From what i was told the H23 rods are compatible but a tiny tiny bit longer, but the pins used are bigger so pistons need to be used from Type R with the 22mm wrist pins. As for Revs H23 isn't designed for high revving so even more reason to use uprated rods on the B20A the H22 with Vtec revs higher which is why it has a shorter stroke to relieve problems with Rods going through the block at continual high rpm and high mileage.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord SEI Coupe, 08 Ford E-250

If you use H23 Rods with B20A5 pistons you will be fine. I have Pauter H23 Rods and Wiseco Pistons from a USDM Prelude B20A5.

And for the valvetrain i am running B18 springs/retainers with ferrea b18 exhaust valves and custom cut intake valves because the intake valves have much larger heads like one of an H22 but a b18 stem size.
    Last edited by RobT5580; 07-29-2007 at 01:14 PM.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    1986 prelude

so do these people still have the cams being made i jsut send them to them or they make them . iwill they do wild cams
    rhd restoration 2nd gen prelude

Vehicle
    1986 Accord Lx 5Speed

Last edited by OldSchool86; 04-27-2009 at 06:35 AM.

SEi User

They are machined made cams not regrinds and they can do any spec you want but the head will need machining and you'll need to upgrade the entire valve train and also advise bronze valve guides as the iron ones will wear out quicker. Also wouldn't go too mental on duration as the heads rockers can only take upto 8k rpm any higher and they can come off the springs!! I'd go for more lift instead with the huge valves that are in B20A 12mm lift is benefitial.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

I get confused looking at the Brian Crower b18 grinds...more focused to turbo efi.
    I wonder which grind would best suit an all motor, 300-500 cfm carb of either delortos or even a downdraft tuned Holley off road carb with adjustable secondary diaphragm...and EDIS
    just saying....

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Quote Originally Posted by rjudgey View Post
    They are machined made cams not regrinds and they can do any spec you want but the head will need machining and you'll need to upgrade the entire valve train and also advise bronze valve guides as the iron ones will wear out quicker. Also wouldn't go too mental on duration as the heads rockers can only take upto 8k rpm any higher and they can come off the springs!! I'd go for more lift instead with the huge valves that are in B20A 12mm lift is benefitial.
    Understandable, my goal is street power wnd better flow than stock blacktop cams. I dont remember if b20a5 performance cams worked in these or at all, I can buy used b20a5 cams and have them regrind if there useable or maybe b18 stock cams and get out the band saw.

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Yeah, I am pretty sure the B20A5 cams are the same.

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX

Yes, the B20A5 cams will work.

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

I believe web cams made aftermarket cams for the b20a5

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Calling all b20a experts!
    Ok ive been searching a couple hrs for clear verified info on how b18 cams work in the bastard b20a. I got my hands on a setof Crower 404 b18 cams and b18 Crower springs & titainium retainers.
    The Crower website says these fit "1st gen" b20 but we never know what that means right....
    from what I read here is the valve spring retainers wont work because the b20 keepers are smaller as are the valve stems.
    I don't see a place where the cam can be "sawed off" either.

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

thats a bit beyond me as i havent had any experience with comparing valves / retainers / springs. the cams themselves will fit tho :P

SEi User

Bringing this back up I've been looking at more parts for my B20A build, really want the head to flow more and get much higher compression.

Stock B16/18 pistons should work for me as the wrist pins if I remember rightly on EDM B20A are 21mm so direct fit, you can get those in a 82mm bore size which is extra CC's so that's good and extra CR ratio, bad news is the stock pistons are Compression height of 30.75mm the B16/18 pistons are 30mm so you will loose bit of compression by putting these in, only other option is spend loads on aftermarket rods and Wiseco pistons which only do 81.5mm bore and 10.5:1CR ratio. Other option is take .25mm off the deck and .5mm off the head, as a matter of course I've taken .5mm off the deck with no issues and you can quite easily get 1mm off the head more if you don't mind scrapping the head if you blow a few head gaskets. Which if your using slightly raised flat top B16/18 pistons combined with .75mm less metal in the way on head and block you should get a nice healthy CR ratio at around 11:1 if you don't take too much out the chamber when cleaning it up.

Now for the trick part and answers the above question on the valve locks, you can either get new ones that fit or better option use B16/18 valve guides which are the same external diameter which will then enable you to use B16/18 vavles which have benefit of two things, more choice in parts for me supertech seem to offer the best value/performance/quality valves they do them in stock sizes or 1mm over size which would mean we could have a B20A with 34mm inlet valves and 29mm exhaust valves, you would also have the benefit of the stems dropping from 6.5mm to 5.5 mm the supertech ones are also waisted down to 5mm so this really helps get extra air/fuel in and exhaust gas out.

Combine that with Brian Crower cams and either ITB's or Webers you could be looking at quite an evil engine and you'd have not spent that much on parts as they're all off the shelf common parts from other engines. Personally I'd use uprated rods which if you fit new bronze bushes in to fit 21mm is fine but you need to have oil squirters drilled into them as all aftermarket rods see to have these missing with their excuse is it's not a road car so will be spinning at high enough rpm to splash enough oil around, you could have these machined in but factor that extra cost in.