Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: B20a Cams

SEi User

Exclamation B20a Cams

Cat Cams got some answers from their U.K. dealer.

Just sopke with the U.K dealer for Cat Cams their based in Belgium and they'll make anything from scratch from chilled cast or billet steel, also the years of the B20A they have listed seem to match Preludes and Accords of the same ERA so it looks like they are for an Actual B20A!! The guy's going to phone me back to confirm tomorrow hopefully price was about £360 ish pounds for the pair which is pretty good.
    Also they said that they could do a custom grind on steel billet for A20 for around £250-300ish only down side they need a head and valve train to test fit but as i have plenty spare shouldn't be a problem!!
    They have been making cams for 15 years also very popular in Germany where a lot of B20A preludes and Accords were sold so chances are hopefully they are for the right engine!! Which would be pretty cool a direct replacement B20A camshaft!!

Accord of the Year - 2009

Vehicle
    Accord 2.0i-16 '87 - Accord Aerodeck EXi '89
    Interesting! I can see they have retainers listed for that engine as well so I guess they have springs as well. Assuming that this is for the accord and prelude b20a.

edit: they have a dealer in denmark as well. wohoo! lol :tongue:
    Last edited by thegreatdane; 04-13-2005 at 09:57 AM.

Link to my 3geez garage
    • Accord 2.0i-16 '87 B20A2 DOHC 16v
    • Accord Aerodeck EXi '89 Exclusive Edition

SEi User

springs

well they got a list of springs on the websites with all the dimensions so it's just a case of measuring up what fits!! No big deal got some springs in the workshop was going to see what would fit!!

Vehicle
    Yea, but I dont have any spare B20A springs laying around though. Actually I dont have anything in spare for that engine...

Link to my 3geez garage

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987 HONDA ACCORD 1.6 EX
    Ok, Thank you vary much Rjudgey, to call these guys for informations, because maybe next year I'l do a EDM B20A2 swap 137hp.......I think B20A2 (without the jdm cams) could take more than 40-45hp gains with Just some cheap ITR PISTONS £250(like carotman's B20a), Cat Cams and P&P head.
    Then is a stand alone ECU, ITB with 310-370cc injectors+ F.P.G and free flow exaust-header..and I think could be 230-240crank hp?? at 7000rpm?? or less??streetable and
    cheaper than one jdm B18C 197hp complete swap?
    Anyway £360 for the pair is VERY GOOD price.............normally SKUNK-TODA CAMS for the newer B VTEC ENGINES cost £650+ the pair.....
    ACCORD 3G RUNS FOR EVER

Vehicle
    88 LXi
    Quote Originally Posted by rjudgey
    Cat Cams got some answers from their U.K. dealer.

Just sopke with the U.K dealer for Cat Cams their based in Belgium and they'll make anything from scratch from chilled cast or billet steel, also the years of the B20A they have listed seem to match Preludes and Accords of the same ERA so it looks like they are for an Actual B20A!! The guy's going to phone me back to confirm tomorrow hopefully price was about £360 ish pounds for the pair which is pretty good.
    Also they said that they could do a custom grind on steel billet for A20 for around £250-300ish only down side they need a head and valve train to test fit but as i have plenty spare shouldn't be a problem!!
    They have been making cams for 15 years also very popular in Germany where a lot of B20A preludes and Accords were sold so chances are hopefully they are for the right engine!! Which would be pretty cool a direct replacement B20A camshaft!!

That would be a great thing a real cam for our car. I'd go new and skip the regrinds for what your doing. Regrind is like old school 60's tech. :lol:

wp

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX Sedan (RIP), 1989 (same) RIP, 86 Hatch Lx-i, JDM b20a, Gude headpkg, AEM cam gears/cai, thermal xhst, 2.5/3" lowrd tokico/groundctrl, 17" Seneca whls, hypereutectic pistons, .020" over, 13:1 comp
    you could make a lot more than 230-240. with 270cc injectors and just the GUDE headpackage with cam timings set at 0 deg adv/ret, (completely untuned), my b20a made 218 flywheel hp. so adjust for tuning, MSD ignition, and every other little goodie... you can make a lot of power. and 8000+ rpm with a better bottom end (shotpeen/polish rods, hypereutectic teflon coated pistons etc)... I can't find it right now but someplace sells a lifetime guaranteed race motor that is labeled a b20, and has the EXACT same bore/stroke of our b20a's. I think 81/95? either way, it seems to be modeled directly after ours, they claim it is invincible and will take any beating, and yields 280hp and 190 ft/lb. peak HP at 7800rpm

Vehicle
    Impressive. Do you have any dyno sheets of this and do you still have the car? Those pistons were they for a B18C?

Rjudgey, did you get confirmed if the cams are actually for our B20A?
    Last edited by thegreatdane; 05-17-2005 at 06:09 AM.

Link to my 3geez garage

SEi User

Cat cams

Just got a response back today they only have done re-grinds for the A20 but for the B20A they seem confident that we are talking about the same engine but i'm just worried that they might not fit as they may be for 3G prelude engines instead? The later B20's in 3G ludes aren't the saem are they?
    Their not that expensive i might risk buying a pair, but i asked if i send them a pair of stock ones if they can check to see if they are the same.

Qoute:
    Hi,

I might have already answered this but I don't think so.

If not then sorry for the delay.

The answer we have from Catcams is:

I think Honda has actually developed more engines than they ever sold cars, so I’m never 100% sure on them.

A/ B20A
    As far as I know, B20A should be B20A, so I assume our cams should be correct for the Accord if indeed the B20A is said to be fitted (DOHC 16v, 8 lobes per camshaft, mechanic slipper followers, no Vtec).

B/ A20
    We have seen some SOHC 12v cams for regrinding, but I think we do not have castings for this engine. We can make billets if required, but we will need the cylinder head and it will take some time (and money). But it can be done.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Matthew Saville

Vehicle
    88-89 Accord DOHC has part nr. 14111-PH3-010 for the intake cam. 88-89 Prelude 2.0 DOHC has the same part number for intake cam.
    Ex. cam part nr. are different though.
    87 and 88-89 accord DOHC doesnt have the same part nr. on intake cams either.
    But when the intake cam can be swapped, it leads you to believe that the ex. cam can be swapped as well?

Link to my 3geez garage

Vehicle
    85 Suburban, 86 Accord EX-i, 89 Accord SE-i, 90 Accord EX-R,
    Whenever I get around to installing my B20A and making sure it runs right, I'll be sending in my cams to Colt. Carotman has the ones he made for Mike Lee's turbo B20A (a bit more aggressive than usual). I can't remember now since it's been a while but I think he charges somewhere around $400-$500CAD for the pair.
    www.b20accord.com

SEi User

Cams

You have to be carefull with these cams as they are hollow they don't tend to like being re-ground too well, not to any big degree, turbo you can get away with as you don't use much lift or duration, but were talking complete new cams here which are made from billet blanks not re-grinds or anything else cheap and for the money their asking if they do fit isn't that bad £326 for the pair they do three profiles from mild to wild as well with the wild one requiring some headwork to get the valves to work without hitting the guides!
    Sounds promising anyways getting high Duration cams for these engines has been a dream and if they are real then could become reality!! Not sure when i can get some cams to them to compare so expect an update in a few weeks as they need to be shipped from U.K to Holland.

Vehicle
    85 Suburban, 86 Accord EX-i, 89 Accord SE-i, 90 Accord EX-R,
    Quote Originally Posted by rjudgey
    You have to be carefull with these cams as they are hollow they don't tend to like being re-ground too well, not to any big degree, turbo you can get away with as you don't use much lift or duration, but were talking complete new cams here which are made from billet blanks not re-grinds or anything else cheap and for the money their asking if they do fit isn't that bad £326 for the pair they do three profiles from mild to wild as well with the wild one requiring some headwork to get the valves to work without hitting the guides!
    Sounds promising anyways getting high Duration cams for these engines has been a dream and if they are real then could become reality!! Not sure when i can get some cams to them to compare so expect an update in a few weeks as they need to be shipped from U.K to Holland.
    Sorry if I took anything away from your post. Just wanted to throw out there are options for us out in North America for B20A cams. I don't know much about the European companies but from what it sounds like, if it pans out, it sounds like a great deal.

As for the "hollow" thing you mentioned, is this just for the B20A? I'm a bit curious about this as this is the first time I heard of any Honda cam being hollow. Apparently, Honda uses the best materials for cams which is why Colt only does regrinds and won't touch blank billets.
    www.b20accord.com

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987 HONDA ACCORD 1.6 EX
    There is also one company on U.K which makes regrid cams for A20,B20:

http://www.tts-performance.com/catal...d61570ff7c4c2f
    ACCORD 3G RUNS FOR EVER

SEi User

Cams

TTS is just a shop the cams are Web cam re-grinds which they ship off to get done, i spoke to pipercams and they do profiles for everything and they had said that no profiles were available because they are hollow.
    And yes the B20A cams are hollow done to save weight and rotational mass. I think they said also their might be a problem with rocker arm contact as well.

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987 HONDA ACCORD 1.6 EX
    Thank you very much rjudgey, Great Info!!!!
    I didn't know that TTS sales regrid Web-cams.
    So from brand new cams for B20A, there are 3 choises: Crower-Crane B18A cams and Catcams.
    ACCORD 3G RUNS FOR EVER

Vehicle
    18 yr old Prelude, the one with the pop up headlamps. B20 (prototype for the 3g Prelude) ...but in the lighter car, with big brakes
    I'm driving to Holland in January!
    I can confirm the B20 cams are hollow....I snapped one in half LOL
    3g cams do fit. If anybody has a 3g Prelude B20a5, the intake cam in our B20's are similar to the cams in the UK B20a7. ...performance tip.

SEi User

3G Lude cams

So are they the same fit or slightly different? If so are their any 3G Lude cams that cam be used that are an upgrade from stock that you know off? I think a pair of mild cams will really wake my B20A up but still need to find a way round that Rev limiter though!! Anyone know what the JDM ECU rev limiter cuts in at?

Vehicle
    My JDM PH3 ecu rev limit is at 7000 rpm. According to the gauges anyway...
    The intake cams also have the same part numbers in the parts catalogue, but what about the exhaust cam, doesnt that fit too?

Link to my 3geez garage

SEi User

cams

Does it fit the Cam sensor though??

SEi User

4 Sale B20A Performance Camshafts

Well guy's the little dutch fellows finally got back in touch, and gues what the cams i sent them measure identically to the dimensions of there grinds so they are definately for our 1st generation B20A and B18A engines from 3G accords and 2G Ludes.

Downside is that they aren't expensive as some cams considering that they are from blanks and are not re-grinds but as most of you are on the wrong side of the water shipping will make them quite dear!!

Well there £367 pounds exluding vat so us poor Brits have to cough up 17.5% on top of that price for tax and you guy's have your import tax and shipping to check the specs go to www.catcams.com to drool hope this helps i hope to have some in a couple of months.

SEi User

Re: 4 Sale B20A Performance Camshafts

Does anyone know the stock specs of B20A camshafts??

SEi User

Re: New Cast / Billet Camshafts

Well Cat cams confirmed that they are indeed for 1st Generation B20A and B18A engines from ours cars.
    £367 pounds then any taxes or import duty and shipping on top!!

Vehicle

Sweet.
    Did he confirm that there's also cut a slot in the exhaust cam (as in the intake cam)? And the length of them?

I already bought stage2 B18A/B cams that I had shortened to fit. Those ran me around £300 pounds including shipping and everything. Only downside is that they're a bit heavier than those stock ones...

here's the specs from the shopmanual

Link to my 3geez garage

SEi User

Unsure but i'm sure they would slot it for you as there made to order and from blanks. Also again i think they will be heavier being blanks and not hollow which is a shame but hey they;ll be stronger and boy do i want some of that high lift duration goodiness 288 degrees and 12mm lift hell yeah!!