Thread: JDM B20A for Accord Vs. JDM B20A for 3g Prelude, Difference?

Vehicle
    1988 LXI Sedan

JDM B20A for Accord Vs. JDM B20A for 3g Prelude, Difference?

I have already read https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=86

someone please tell me what the difference (other than the motor mounts, mounting position) in a B20A for an accord and a JDM B20A (not the B20A5) for the 88-91 prelude is?

Vehicle
    BB6 Lude, EG Hatch.
    Just cause it says B20A doesn't mean it's closer to the Accord B20A. It's a B20A5 without the "5" at the end, and 10 more HP.

You can't "Cheat" the system.

your choices are

2G Lude B20A
    3G Accord B20A
    3G Accord B18A

All 3G Lude B20A are only compatible with any other 3G Lude. Whether it's B20A(JDM), B20A3, B20A5, B21A1 or B20A9 (Euro)

Vehicle
    1988 LXI Sedan
    Just cause it says B20A doesn't mean it's closer to the Accord B20A. It's a B20A5 without the "5" at the end, and 10 more HP.
    You didn't answer my question, and please don't assume I am ignorant enough to think this engine will fit in a 3g Accord, the 3g Prelude is quite the bastard engine configuration for Honda.

OTHER THAN the motor mounts and angle of mounting of the engine and various other little tid bits, what is the difference between an Accord JDM B20A and a 3g lude B20A... Also I was under the impression that on most JDM motors the last number of engine designation was dropped since it had to do with a USDM type of fuel managment not present in JDM engines.

To help those out:

Are the stroke/bore the same?
    The B20A for the prelude is a closed deck engine as well as the USDM B20A5, is the Accord B20A a closed deck engine?

etc. etc.

from what I keep reading it seems that the only difference are block castings for motor mounts and the bellhousing pattern?
    Last edited by system-f; 05-06-2005 at 11:55 AM.

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 Hatchback LX-i
    search for the accord b20a info here. you'll find compression ratio, rod, stroke, bore, cam profiles, etc.

then head over to www.preludepower.com and look in the 3rd gen forum. you'll find all the info you want on the prelude b20.

compare for yourself.

the prelude b20a makes 20 fewer horsepower than the accord b20a.
    Chris
    http://personalwebs.myriad.net/mouchyn/accordsig.jpg

Vehicle
    1988 LXI Sedan
    the prelude b20a makes 20 fewer horsepower than the accord b20a
    The B20A5 makes 25 less horsepower than the Accord B20A. I cannot find power specs on the B20A prelude motor, only the USDM B20A5 (putting the 5 at the end should be enough to designate that I am refering to a USDM motor). I know that when I droped my stock B20A in my 89 prelude it had quite a bit more kick than the B20A5 I removed out of it, but this could be due to many problems with the old B20A5. Is the prelude B20A 140hp?

I do know the internals in the prelude B20A were much stronger or of better quality than the B20A5. On tear down of my B20A5 a ring landing was missing from #3, and several rings had cracks in other pistons.

After teardown of the B20A when my prelude was sold even after turbochargin the B20A simply had a high carbon buildup and I was told by the new owner that all parts were within Honda spec for reuse.

I do search and keep coming up with responses for the B20A5 on the prelude site. Here the only reference to B20A provides me with needed Accord information B20A information, but no prelude B20A information. If anyone knows of any significant differences, please share.

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 Hatchback LX-i
    well, the internals of the prelude b20a aren't any different than the internals of the USDM b20a5. they have the same casting numbers, they were made the same, and the honda part numbers are the same. the prelude b20a has 145ps, which is about 140HP give or take.

the differences between the prelude b20a and the b20a5 have more to do with compression ratio than anything else. the cams are the same, the pistons are the same, the bore and stroke are the same, the crank is the same, etc.

here, check this thread out. it has tons of information.

http://www.preludepower.com/forums/s...d.php?t=211212

I know the info is over at pp.com. I'm a moderator there and have put most of the information together myself. Just gotta find it
    Chris

Vehicle
    1988 LXI Sedan
    thanks, bb searchs are hard when it will not search for exact words. It kept pulling up b20a5, thanks again.

Short circuit between my keyboard and chair, probably.

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 Hatchback LX-i
    Quote Originally Posted by system-f
    Short circuit between my keyboard and chair, probably.
    haha. when i worked in a technical support call center, that was one of the "sources of problem" we could write down.

the problem is: "BKAC"

"between keyboard and chair"

we couldn't write stuff out like that on tickets because the customers got copies of the call reports. so, the code BKAC allowed us to document that the user was retarded and that it wasn't a fault of our equipment without offending the customer.
    Chris

LX User
    Vehicle
    1950 Plymouth daily driver, 1967 Riviera, 1951 Buick Roadmaster with a 455
    Haha! When i was a GM of a restaurant here we used to term "dead fries" for a stupid customer.

DX User
    lol... dead fries

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 LX, 17"x7.5" Enkei 205/40's, Custom fabbed Seamless body front to back, shaved trunk, waiting for 3-Stage Candy paint to be applied
    Need me A B20 JDM.........Help...heard there were available in Montreal....any one know about this??