Thread: 94 honda accord ac

Vehicle
    2003 Infiniti G35 sedan

94 honda accord ac

i know its not a 3g issue...but if anyone can send me in the right direction, ill appreciate it...
    wierd problem, my ac doenst throw cold enough air and when i come at stops it just sorta just throws air...we put freon in the system, that didnt really help that much.....
    my mech told me to check to see if the condensor fan was turning on, and it was working fine...
    when im drivin down the freeeway or somethin, it throws cold air, not strong thought...but cool air....so its mediocre..
    so anyone god any clues what might it be??
    thank you

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 LXI MT Coupe
    http://www.aircondition.com/wwwboard/ is a good site for information. If you are asking a question though be prepared with the data eg. pressure readings on high and low side, ambient air temperature and outflow air temperature. It sounds like a condenser issue though. Have you cleaned the exterior of the condenser?
    Last edited by nutmeg_runner; 07-06-2005 at 05:43 PM. Reason: complete url

Vehicle
    2003 Infiniti G35 sedan
    im not that mechanically inclined...ima try to get my mech to do that

Vehicle
    1990/BMW/535iA
    Definitely sounds like an air flow issue through the condenser. It may be severely plugged up with debris. Sometimes you can blow the condenser out with compressed air or water...but it can also cause damage. Have you considered swapping out the condenser with a junk yard unit?
    3axap.
    ------------------------------------------------

Vehicle
    2003 Infiniti G35 sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by '89AccordLX(Rus)
    Definitely sounds like an air flow issue through the condenser. It may be severely plugged up with debris. Sometimes you can blow the condenser out with compressed air or water...but it can also cause damage. Have you considered swapping out the condenser with a junk yard unit?
    i really dont know how to do that
    ima ask my mech what he can do with it...thanks for all the help you guys

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    4th and 5th gen accords were plagued with bad bad condensors like the 3g was with the compressor. IF the gas is not going thru the condensor and is being pumped by the compressor, then there will be extreme pressure on the highpressure side and u will probably see it discharge one way or the other. I suspect a bad AC compressor CLUTCH. the best bet is to check to see with the AC pressure gauge where the pressure is on the system when the car is idling normally. Then take it to a AC service garage and state the problem and tell them that you suspect it to be the compressor clutch.

Changing a compressor clutch is not hard, you can do it at your house. Just need some extra tools to do it right. hope it helps.

Vehicle
    2004 Pilot EXL-NAV, 2010 Acura TL, 2013 Accord Coupe V6 Nav/Sat
    You probably have air and moisture in your system. Maybe even a small leak. The clue is that you get some cold air when you are driving faster. The compressor is turning more rpms and therefore more liquid freon to cool. Can you see air bubbles in the window on top of the reeiver/dryer can? If you see bubbles you have air or not enough freon. i'm not sure if the 4g has a window on the receiver though. Does the compressor cycle on and off in short cycles?

Vehicle
    2003 Infiniti G35 sedan
    some of the suff you all have said i have no clue aobut...sorry im not mechanically inclined....but thanks though...ima have my mech look at this thread and then ill reply back and see what he understands..haha
    thank you all

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX
    Have the tech. look at the sight glass on the receiver/drier, that is first thing.
    He should be able to test the high side & low side schrader valves to determine whether it has a clogged receiver/drier, bad compressor, bad thermostatic switch, restricted expansion valve, bad or weak blower, or condensor clogged or restricted. There are many varibles to what it can be. I'm leaning towards the clutch not functioning properly, but pressure tests will pinpoint the cause more than hearsay.

Reciever sight glass Inspection:

Clear sight glass- usually indicates has the correct charge.

Foamy or bubling- is low or air is in the system.

Cloudy- may indicate the disiccant in the reciever/drier has broken down & is circulation in the system. Replacement of drier/accumulator should be taken.
    Last edited by 88Accord-DX; 07-09-2005 at 01:13 AM. Reason: add on

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    The previous poster had it pretty good. I also like that you refered to the person as a Tech(nician)... that's what we are. Mechanics are a thing of the past... almost nothing operates on a purely mechanical basis these days. ASE stopped using the title of Mechanic back in 1985; good show my friend.

Nothing can be diagnosed online in a forum like this w/o High and Low side pressure readings, end of story. A 4G accord most likely uses R134a freon, so you'll be wanting about 30psi on your low side and about 200 on your high side... pressures are ALWAYS dependant on ambiet Temp. A simple test for those with gauges if you don't already know is that a vehicle at rest and reading almost nothing on the temp gauge (cold) should read outside air temp. with the engine off on both low and high sides of the system pressures on the manifold. This is b/c the system pressures have equalized. If they don't, suspect low freon or a blockage if one side is reading correctly and the other higher or lower.

From my experiance, blowing cooler while on the gas than at idle tells me theirs large amounts of air in the lines due to not having evacuated a system and pulled a vac. on it before charging, it's simply low on freon or you have a blockage/restriction. Often restrictions can be easy to find by simply tracing down a line/hose and looking for frost. Frost should never really be present on a line (most commonly the low side)... if so, you have a restriction causing a lack of flow.... simple visual check that works.

Most A/C work isn't hard believe it or not, just takes using a bit of logic. For those intersted, I have a NICE Red Dot AC Manual (set of actually) on a CD that I picked up at a training class. These have several hundred pages of info on them in PDF format and go though a lot of nice trouble shooting... the offer is there. Email or IM me privately for more info.

Dustin