Thread: Auto Tranny Issue

DX User
    Vehicle
    check the sig

Exclamation Auto Tranny Issue

Alright, time to go headfirst into auto's that aren't electronically controlled...

I gotta 87 LX Auto. When going less that WOT, it'll shift gears, no problems. When I open it up though, it'll kick down to first, and never shift out (I went over the redline and still nothing till I let off... I shouldn't be beating this 302k 18 year old engine up like this)..

Anyways, trying to see what anyone thinks. To me, it sounds like a vacuum issue. It shifts gears so I don't see the transmission itself being the issue.

And no, this isn't my sign from God to do a 5-speed swap. Thats what I'm getting another CRX for
    --------------------------------------------
    2002 Impala LS
    2005 Camry LE
    1996 Corolla DX
    1989 Civic Si
    1987 Accord LX

1966 Sunfish - I'd rather be sailing

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    I beleive it's internal...

Even with the TV cable maxed out it shouldn't jump past redline... you could check if the TV cable is too tight while an assistant holds the thottle at WOT for you while you check the TV lever and cable adjustment... there is a how-to or FAQ on adjusting the Auto trans HERE: https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40885 .... anyways if the TV cable was disconnected it will just shift extremely early thru the gears till you end up in 4th assuming you are in D4

You might want to check the trans fluid level
    If it's not the fluid then it's more then likely internal
    There are no vacuum to the trans... the only part on the carb connected to the trans is the TV cable that like I mentoned above... I doubt it's the cause but you should check it anyways.
    - llia

the only thing you can do about it is play with the TV cable (let a little slack out) or replace the fluid
    Eric
    3geez member since October 12, 2000
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau

DX User
    Vehicle
    check the sig
    fluid's good.. i'll check the cable... hoping nothing internal, if it is, guess i'll be parting out...
    --------------------------------------------
    2002 Impala LS
    2005 Camry LE
    1996 Corolla DX
    1989 Civic Si
    1987 Accord LX

1966 Sunfish - I'd rather be sailing