Thread: b16 or d16?

Vehicle
    1986 Accord LX

b16 or d16?

first of all, i want to direct all of you to the website that i plan to buy from.

http://www.ardperformance.com/cgi-bi...l?action=index

now, i am debating wether to get the d16a8/a9, or the b16a1. i would rather have the b16 but i want you guy's imput. now, i noticed on the d16 that it is a dual cam, instead of the single cam. i was wondering what car this engine came out of, because i've never seen this engine before, and the engine's not listed on nopionline. second, i noticed that the engine is non-v-tec. that's two strikes. one good thing about this d16 is that it is only 30 hp and 3 ft/lbs short of the b16. i just want your guy's feedback on which engine i should purchase. if i can't find a good one there, i'll look at car shows or something. i need to get that car runing. oh, and if anyone asks why i don't stick with the a20a, it's because mine is a caurberauted piece of crap.
    _-_-alex-_-_

sucks

the only REAL power is pure JDM

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Prelude 2.0Si-T
    you can upgrade your carb to EFI if you want but this "link" should solve all of your engine questions
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

Vehicle
    Accord 88 LXi Coupe

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by 14biggy
    first of all, i want to direct all of you to the website that i plan to buy from.

http://www.ardperformance.com/cgi-bi...l?action=index

now, i am debating wether to get the d16a8/a9, or the b16a1. i would rather have the b16 but i want you guy's imput. now, i noticed on the d16 that it is a dual cam, instead of the single cam. i was wondering what car this engine came out of, because i've never seen this engine before, and the engine's not listed on nopionline. second, i noticed that the engine is non-v-tec. that's two strikes. one good thing about this d16 is that it is only 30 hp and 3 ft/lbs short of the b16. i just want your guy's feedback on which engine i should purchase. if i can't find a good one there, i'll look at car shows or something. i need to get that car runing. oh, and if anyone asks why i don't stick with the a20a, it's because mine is a caurberauted piece of crap.
    Carburetors aren't crap if you take the time to know how they work and tune them...but I agree that 2 and 3G accord carbs are finicky... The non vtec DOHC d16 is from the Gen 1 Teg and the early non vtec b16s are Civc and CRX motors if I'm not mistaken. Go with the b16 if you want more aftermarket upgrades, depending on which b16 it is. Both are going to be a bitch to swap...do yourself a favor and search...there are a couple of users who have completed b16 and b18 swaps. Search...search search

"The Future is Unwritten" -Strummer

"speed costs money, so gaffer tape and cable ties will suffice"-Peasant Tuning

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    Ok, I'm sure you found that website has mounts for the B swaps. Well, welcome to misinformation land. That website is just a dealer for parts manufacturers. The company that made mounts, Place Racing, is out of business, therefore no mounts. If you want a B-series swap these days, you will need custom mounts, custom axles, and custom shift rods. Then you have to figure out the wiring.

2nd, a D16 swap into an Accord is not a good idea. It's completely custom again and the power you would gain over your carb motor is not worth it. You can convert your carb motor to EFI for less money and have just as much power.

3rd, please search before asking questions. These topics have been covered many, many times before.
    No projects. Life consumes my time and money.

Vehicle
    1989 honda accord sei
    the d16 series engines have alot more potental the tha a20 engine because there are after market parts for them if you get th d16z6 or y8 vtech you start out with 125 to 127hp were the a20a3 is only puting out 120 so were is the d16 not worth swaping for the b16 you would have an easier time puting the d16 and th money you save on the engine you can put into mods and be around the same hp as the b16

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987 HONDA ACCORD 1.6 EX
    d16 as Steve said, needs custom mount kit- axles -wirring to go in..........why
    to spend so much money, to have one engine with 5hp more and MUCH LESS TORQUE than your stock motor ????
    There is NO comparisson for 'which is better engine for our Accords , D16 or A20?'
    A20 for sure..
    As the aftermarket support, of course D16 has better support, but if you search in the Forum, you'll see that there are many
    mods for A20 available, enaugh to go over 140whp...N/A, and enaugh to beet Civic EF/EG with tuned D16 any time.......
    ACCORD 3G RUNS FOR EVER

Vehicle
    87 Honda Accord DX
    Quote Originally Posted by Lok
    There is NO comparisson for 'which is better engine for our Accords , D16 or A20?'
    A20 for sure.

For the money you'd spend on either swap, you could do a full rebuild and maybe get some sweet parts too. Plus, you'd have the advantage of not having a frankenstein hybrid to deal with.
    additionally, you'd always have that low-end torque that the D16/B16 could pretty much never provide you with.

How much you looking at spending? I'm sure we could all put our heads together and plan some sweet stuff for ya.
    www.stein-photo.com
    born to XLR8

Vehicle
    1986 Accord LX
    How much you looking at spending? I'm sure we could all put our heads together and plan some sweet stuff for ya.
    yeah, you guys do have some crazy a20s. ok, i think i know what i'm going to do. this dude sells jdm a20s. i just hope the're fuel injected. please tell me if they are.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WDVW

or there's this one. it seems more convinent since it's in ohio, and so am i.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WDVW

oh, and one more thing, where do you get turbo manifolds for a20as? if it's in search, just smack me.
    Last edited by 14biggy; 05-14-2005 at 05:09 PM.
    _-_-alex-_-_

sucks

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation
    a D16 would be such a shitty engine to put in an accord, thats why its A LOW TRIM LEVEL CIVIC ENGINE, cant get much lower than that, your much better off keeping the A20. If you were gonna go thru the trouble to stuff a B16 in there, youre better off stuffing the B18C1 or C5 engine, the difference in torque vs the B16 will be very noticeable, as most of these cars are as heavy as integras anyway. For bang for the buck, i dont think you can beat A20A Turbo
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

Vehicle
    1986 Accord LX
    before i came to this forum, i didn't even know that a20a turbo power exsisted!
    _-_-alex-_-_

sucks