Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PROJECT , TURBO ( 3gmodifier )

Vehicle
    '89 LXi Coupe
    Houston, Texas (Home of the Quicksilver project)
    Yep, I already know about the loss I'll have to take in mounting it in the rear, but like I said, I don't really have much choice because I have to keep A/C and fans. I've even thought about remounting the A/C unit in the rear, but that seemed to be even more trouble, and cooling would be a definite issue. I don't think the loss will be as big as people make it out to sound though, as it will be only another maybe four to five feet of pipe. With a good design on the header and the least amount of curves (and there should not be much), I think the flow can be kept pretty good. Design will be key to overcome the length issue; kind of like the difference with a log style and a tubular style turbo header. The log is obviously shorter, but yet it does not perform as well as a tubular design. Add to that 4-2-1 bonus, and I think it will be okay. Bottom line again is that I just don't really have much choice.
    I have a solid platform to start with, as phase 1 of my project was a bottom end rebuild, so I am using forged internals, copper gasket, and studs. I've measured it at the junkyard, and I'm pretty sure I can get a DSM SMIC in my front fenderwell for initial cooling. I'm toying with some other cooling ideas for later , but it should be enough for starters.
    I've briefly looked into the Megasquirt, but I will research it some more. Again, all that will depend on the sucess of the OBD conversion, as I want this to be completely street legal.
    "Feed their greed with your need for speed"

DX User
    Quote Originally Posted by Robs89LXi
    ..I want this to be completely street legal.

Ahh, you are right, good design can help you! You can get better workking exchaust manifold like N/A-cars have - it may help you get more torque (just 4-2-1 style) at start than what normally people gets with short exchaust manifold & tbo.

In curiosity, how much A/C kompressor & stuff takes room? Do you have picture available? I have normal Honda's stock radiator and fan with intercooler. All what needed to doo was littlebit tilt upper-attachments. Cooler in front fenderwell sounds cool but how easy install that may be?

You want your car street legal, hmm, may this be a first time when I see that somewhere is harder to get modified car to street legal than here in Finland? My car is street legal, all I need to do is inspect a motor vehicle with bigger power. Maximum power is orginal plus 20%, so it meens in my case that i need to lower in that situation my tbo-pressures in 0.3 bar that i can get maximum 146hp out of front wheels. Rest hp's are for outlaws Do you need use in kalifornia catalyst? Here in Finland, if car is taken use in 1987 or later it needs catalyst in inspecet's visitors but my car is 1986's model I don't need even that!

Vehicle
    '89 LXi Coupe
    Yeah, Houston has pretty strict emissions requirements and are done anually. Catalytic converters are a must, so I will be running as huge a diameter exhaust as I can to help reduce the back pressure. The nice thing about a rear mount turbo though, is that at inspection time, I can just install a bypass pipe and intake to get back to stock .

LXi User
    Quote Originally Posted by Robs89LXi
    Yeah, Houston has pretty strict emissions requirements and are done anually. Catalytic converters are a must, so I will be running as huge a diameter exhaust as I can to help reduce the back pressure. The nice thing about a rear mount turbo though, is that at inspection time, I can just install a bypass pipe and intake to get back to stock .
    I live in H-Town too and didn't realize that there was a restriction on ponies. Do you know off hand what it is?

I am planning on doing a turbo set-up on my 3g. I had honestly not even thought of clearance issues! Stupid Stupid. Like you w/o my A/C I would be screwed even though most of the time my window is down I just don't want to completely lose it for when July hits us. When you say mount the turbo in the rear do you mean like past the oil pan? What about using a slim radiator like the Pro dragsters use? Man this suxors! What about using two teeny tiny Turbos like the DSM's use stock and mount those "on top" of the motor? Kind of like the Supra TT if you have ever seen a stock set up. The turbo is mounted up and to the left and right of the engine. You might need an after market hood but better then no A/C. Then you would have access to the IC much easier.

If you were to go the rear set up what would you use for a manifold? Would it be like an actual header that just has a mounting for a turbo?

Kinda off topic Robs89LXi did you happen to go to Texas Showdown? You planning on going to Formula D? Can't wait for that to come!
    Hopefully my mobile will be out of paint by then!
    For Sale:
    T3/T4 Turbo, wastegate, and BOV
    P75 ECU
    Untouched Head

Port & Polished, 5-angle valve job, bowl and swirl job, Head -$1000 invested in machining alone

Misc.
    DDR Pad and DDR Extreme
    PS1
    NES
    Needed:
    Dremel
    Money

Vehicle
    88 accord lxi (sold) / b20a equipped 89 accord coupe sei(2.0Si replica) 08 CBR 600RR SPECIAL EDITION / Me and my wifes 02 Civic Coupe EX, she can drive like a mutha f**ka / 92 civic hatch vx(beast in the works)new DD 05 civic lx( has A/C YES!!!!)
    robs89lxi, you know what, thats the one thing i didnt think of yet, making it so the set up can just be unbolted and bolt the spacer back in for smog checking. good idea, its pretty strict out here too, especially when it comes to turbos, it is so hard to get a set up legalized.
    3gmodifier(aka)JDM WHORE!

"IF YOUR CAR HAS A PROBLEM, YOU HAVE A PROBLEM"

DX User
    Hmm, if you have rought limits on polution & etc, its even more important that you have good engine management! If you have good system, you can easily make streetlegal-setup and usefull-setup for your engine. In street legal system you choke fuel injenctions so little that your car aint' pollute and there ain't too much power. When you want go outlaw, just download a new software to ecu from laptop and drive. If you start makeing system where you install and uninstall hardware between inspections - you will quite soon get bored and sell your car.. It's too hard to make - i quess

And catalysts, there are much of different racing catalysts what ain't make resistance at (allmost) all. Use them with big exchaust pipes and street legalize is easy.

Heikki

Ps. My car is today inspected and noted at one of street legal vehile! All i needed to do was lower pressure at 0.3bar and littlebit modify fuel injenction map.. there is now (in paper) 106kW

Vehicle
    '89 LXi Coupe
    Woot: There are no HP restrictions in Houston. For the mounting of the turbo, yes I'm going to be looking at mounting on the back of the engine towards the tranny. It will be tight, but I think there is enough room. Still in the planning stages right now. The other suggestions you mentioned might also work, but there would be a lot of plumbing involved and might be quite a nightmare. Plus, I like to keep things hidden .
    No, I don't go to any car events. Again, I like the sleeper.

Heikki: I am hoping that I will be able to make it an easy to reach/disassemble, flanged unit, and since inspection is only once a year, it would be a small price to pay to change out pipes to get it to pass. Like you said though, proper engine management is the first option, but if all else fails, I will rely on the stock setup. Congrats on passing too !

DX User
    Quote Originally Posted by 3gmodifier
    i am getting ready to fabricate..
    So, how your project is going? Do you have any details etc..?
    Last edited by Heikki; 08-18-2005 at 10:33 PM.

TO THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN LOOKING, THERES A TURBO SET UP ON EBAYMOTORS.COM FOR THE 3GEN ACCORD BIDDING NOW
    Brandonj RacerXBrandonJ RacerX

Vehicle
    '87 Carbed Hatch(RIP), 88 FI sedan w/ power group, '73 Jag w/ 350lump
    my question for those of you in the know is :why not do a rear mount turbo with an intercooler mounted to the rear left of the engine that feeds directly into the intake?? I would think short piping for both would be better wouldn't it??
    I'm looking at doing something simple and clean... I want more ponies soon
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard;
    And the stupid people are breeding......

http://www.cardomain.com/id/bluebead

Re: PROJECT , TURBO ( 3gmodifier )

I am bumping every old turbo thread. Is it running or gone.