Thread: What should i do first?

LX User
    Vehicle
    87 honda accord lxi

What should i do first?

Hello so i just got a 1987 accord lxi for free... it has 200k miles on it but suppose to have a new tranny and clutch so that was a plus... i already did some work on it i had to replace some of the exhaust and repair the oil pan and get a new front crossmember since the other was so rotten i didnt think it would be too safe. The exterior is alright but is rotten pretty good on the rear fenders and below the rear tail lights. i think i want to fix the body work first

what should i do after the body work? i want to improve performance a tad bit what would be some easy mods to do? im thinking about doing new performance front brake rotors and do put new shoes and pads on. I havent droven it much yet but the guy i got it from said that he got it up to 130 mph

how much do performance spark plugs and wires help?

Vehicle
    Traded in: 1988 Accord LX New car: 04 Jetta GLI
    you should probably do intake, header and exhaust first(IHE). check the FAQ's before ya post man!
    Kevin

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord, 220k
    I say you just drive it and save money for a clean one, or a different car with more performance potential if htat's what you're after.

LX User
    Vehicle
    87 honda accord lxi
    yeah i wanted the car because of the good mpg.. i was looking at doing the CAI ... https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=166

it didnt look hard at all i have good welding skills so that shouldnt be a problem.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by AntiRice
    I say you just drive it and save money for a clean one, or a different car with more performance potential if htat's what you're after.
    3geez for life.

LX User
    Vehicle
    87 honda accord lxi
    what kind of car do u guys think has the most performance potential? something like a s2000.... i dont want to get a civic cuz everyone up here in upstate new york has those i want something sweet looking and different

nissan skylines are good in need for speed (its a game)

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    Skylines were never sound in the US so you'd have to have one imported. Big hassle.
    No projects. Life consumes my time and money.

LX User
    Vehicle
    87 honda accord lxi
    ok so that cuts down the list by one car... i want to stick with a foreign made car american cars suck....

think a toyota supra would kick some ass?

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    toyota supra got very expensive after the TFTF came out.
    you can try to find the older supras, the square ones. they have some potential.

you can import Skyline, but it will cost you arm and a leg. there is a company that does that.

I have to agree that everyone has a civic now days.

I would say, stay with honda family. get 4G accord and drop H22 into it or get CRX and make one fast car even with N/A setup.
    Alex.

LX User
    Vehicle
    87 honda accord lxi
    alright ill look into that then.. i have had good luck with toyotas soo far this is my first honda so ill tell u how it goes...

my friend just got a 94 celica gt how much potential does that thing have? stock hp is 135

Vehicle
    2012 Civic si, old bikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigal004321
    i want to stick with a foreign made car american cars suck....

bah..

if you want something performance oriented and dont mind keeping up with maitenance....look into a DSM

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord, 220k
    what kind of car do u guys think has the most performance potential? something like a s2000.... i dont want to get a civic cuz everyone up here in upstate new york has those i want something sweet looking and different

nissan skylines are good in need for speed (its a game)
    Dunno about best potential, but if you want different:

230 naturally aspirated horsepower in an all aluminum flat six engine (like a porsche), 10.5:1 compression, knife edged forged crank, forged rods, pressure cast pistons, and extremely overbuilt (200k is cake, so's 300k if it's maintained).

All wheel drive, leather and suede interior, italian designed exterior, lexus build quality, top speed of over 150mph, and available for 3-7 grand.

I love mine.

That said, it only comes in an automatic, so I honestly prefer driving the accord around town and short distances. I used to hate hondas til I got this one. What a great car!!! I hate how big and fat the new accords are, if I ever get another daily I'm going to get a hatchback 3G.

- Rob

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord, 220k
    my friend just got a 94 celica gt how much potential does that thing have? stock hp is 135
    Crap. The thing is heavy, has soft ass suspension, and a stock neon expresso puts out 150hp. The only decent celica toyota offered in the early-mid 90s was the All-Trac.

LX User
    Vehicle
    87 honda accord lxi
    what kind of car is that???

Dunno about best potential, but if you want different:

230 naturally aspirated horsepower in an all aluminum flat six engine (like a porsche), 10.5:1 compression, knife edged forged crank, forged rods, pressure cast pistons, and extremely overbuilt (200k is cake, so's 300k if it's maintained).

All wheel drive, leather and suede interior, italian designed exterior, lexus build quality, top speed of over 150mph, and available for 3-7 grand.

I love mine.

That said, it only comes in an automatic, so I honestly prefer driving the accord around town and short distances. I used to hate hondas til I got this one. What a great car!!! I hate how big and fat the new accords are, if I ever get another daily I'm going to get a hatchback 3G.

- Rob

Vehicle
    2012 Civic si, old bikes.
    subaru SVX

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    Bucket
    dude looks like you need some more searching and information before you get started. as for potential with toyota's, i'd get something with a 3sgte, these can be found in 91-97 mr2 turbo or the 88-89 celica all-trac. these are reliable and decently fast. the supra that someone was talking about 88-91 turbo, they came with 7m-gte motors, these have been known to have head problems. soo if you get one, i would re-do the head with good quality parts, then you have a nice fast car. as for honda, get something with swap potential like a civic, 90-97 accord, or 92 and up prelude. then we're talking about b and h series swap which are infamous for reliability if taken care of. like a 92-95 civic hatch with a gsr b18c1 motor are capable of low 14's with bolt ons. and are really reliable. it depends on wat kinda performance you want and how much money you have to get there. good luck. but i suggest you get into other forums and check stuff out to see which car you like.
    Last edited by 88accordhb; 05-19-2005 at 09:06 PM.
    3geez for life.

Vehicle
    87LX / 86LXiHB / 90CRXSi(b16a) all gone... 91CRXSi(b16a) ...round two
    they are nice, they ride well and hadle well, but the only real mod options are all pretty costly and pains in the ass... except n2o. A good friend of mine had one, and it was a cool cruiser, but its heavy as balls (even the trunk lid felt like it weighed 20lbs). I don't know, they don't seem like real 'tuner' cars, there is a big subaru tuning shop here in STL that my friend talked to, and they said they wouldn't even touch the SVX, said it was "a whole nother beast".
    garagement racing

stlhondas.com

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX
    SVX's aren't all that.
    Last edited by 88Accord-DX; 05-20-2005 at 02:51 AM.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by ddude2uc
    SVX's aren't all that.
    i really don't know much about these cars, but a friend had one and it was pretty decent as a regular car. i hate the way they look tho and the automatic thing turns me away.
    3geez for life.