Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eibach pro kit Vs H&R

Vehicle
    1989 CA5 Aerodeck EXi 2.0 A20A4

Re: Eibach pro kit Vs H&R

Quote Originally Posted by frantik
    i followed the installation instructions which said *i think* to turn it all the way to full, then turn a half turn softer
    Where did you read this? On Eibach or Koni instructions?

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    89 LXi Sedan (sold) - Car free now, with hella bikes

koni instructions

Vehicle

Last week I managed to get some time off to rebuilt the suspension with Eibach Pro Kit and Koni.

Vehicle

The setting of the KONI (how many tunrs) was the headache and I have spent quite a lot of time asking around.
    Some of you guys may find it boring but for those who are interested in I C&P some of quote I thought was useful;
    from http://www.koni-na.com/faq.html

"If the car has performance upgrades (springs, wheel/tire packages, etc.) or the driver wants the car a bit more aggressive, most people find the optimum setting in the 1/2 to one full turn from the full soft range. Over the extended life of the damper or if the driver wants a specific firm handling characteristic, the dampers can be adjusted up higher. Very rarely will KONI ever need to be adjusted to the full firm setting."

"The KONI adjustment range is typically about 100% (twice as firm at the full firm settings at the full soft setting) to allow for proper damping of OE springs and high rate performance springs."
    Mr S (Pro Kit with Koni Specials on CA3 2.0 Si) in Japan

According to Eibach Japan, Pro Kit needs about 300km of run-in period.
    I have installed the Koni as they had been initially set (=full soft) and after 40000km(=26000mile) I turned 1/2 from full soft.
    This is passenger car so I didn't want it too hard.
    On this sedan model, the balance during the cornering is great when there is tank full of petrol plus rear passengers.
    If there is less weight on the rear, the front of the car can still cut in well but the rear doesn't hold very well.
    Quote Originally Posted by stgardner View Post
    When I had Konis on the front with Eibach ProKits, Lee at Koni suggested only a quarter turn. I finally set them at about a half turn and it felt pretty stiff (but I have a delicate butt).
    Plus w261w261's info above, I have decided to go front 1/2 turn and rear 1/4 turn.

The result is amazing.
    Compare to H&R + Front KONI, Rear Bilstein combo, the car goes much much smoother almost reminds me of OE set up.
    For the speed bumps, I was almost start laughing - what was the headache I had!?
    My car goes over the speed bump more or less at the same speed as local's car without feeling running over land mine.
    There is no scraping at the bump too.
    I have also driven over "washing board" surface (continuous stripe of bumps) - with H&R, the car start to roll back and force very strongly and felt like I had a brutal massage.
    With Eibach, guess what, there is no such a thing, it just took the washing board like another bump, no back/force roll, great.

For the cornering, I haven't managed to push my car to the limit yet (still running in).
    I can say understeer is there but in between that of H&R and OEM set up.

I and my family have been to Netherlands, Germany in this aerodeck over the summer before switching over to Eibach.
    I have to say, the H&R is perfect for German streets - all the streets are very well maintained and dead smooth flat surface.
    When I came back to UK, I suddenly realized that UK road is full of land mine.
    It is not H&R to be blamed at all but on the UK bumpy road, Pro Kit seems to be good choice, at least for me.

Vehicle
    87' LX-i (hatchback)=Gone, EG8=Daily

While brousing around the local junk yard here i noticed a set of struts with progressive wound springs in the trunk of a 3g prelude. Cool i thought to myself, but after staring at them for two seconds i noticed that the struts resembled those of the 3g accord and sure enough they were!

Well after comfirming that they were indeed front struts for the 3g i quickly snatched them up. I looked around but couldnt find the rears. F it i said so i just bought the front 2. The springs themselves are eibach pro-kit (charcoal in color) and the struts are black blanks.

After installing them on my 3g it droped a good 1.5in. The front wheel well gap is greatly reduced and it has raked stance. I previosly had stock springs on semi-blown tokicos( reason why i bought the struts not just the springs) and considering the black shocks are decent, compared to my previous set-up, ride comfort hasnt suffered much.

Straight line ride comfort is similar to stock but rough roads are slightly more pronounced. But good judgment and caution needs to be used over uneven pavement ( dips, wavy roads, railroad tracks, speed bumps). Ive yet to hit the twisties but around town and in late night parking lot sessions handling has improved. When pushed, body lean is reduced and the car feels planted. Understeer has not increased but is gradually pronounced, but still grips giving the driver a greater sense of road feel.

Im still not sure of weather im gonna keep them though as i have scrapped once or twice on uneven roads, but the stance is killer and handling has improved. I gonna run them for a while to see if im gonna keep them or not. We shall see
    No more 3G but that doesn't mean i cant look at yours...

DX User

i run neuspeed springs and bilstiens with 215/40/17 paradas and the car handles like a dream, sometimes can get a little bouncy in big dips at high speeds but totally happy with the set up.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX 5-speed, 1995 BMW 525i 5-speed

Looks good. Keep up the good work.
    Sam

1989 Accord LX: Sold with 208k-now somewhere around 230k with new owner

Current:
    2014 Elantra Sport 6MT
    2000 Montero Sport 4x4 (beater, trail rig)