View Poll Results: Favorite Exhaust Setup For Sound & Performance - Assume Upgraded Cat Where Applicable

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stock

2 8.33%
  • Stock + Chambered Muffler

1 4.17%
  • Stock + Straight Through Packed Muffler

1 4.17%
  • Custom Catback + Chambered Muffler

2 8.33%
  • Custom Catback + Straight Through Packed Muffler

3 12.50%
  • Custom Catback + Long Resonator + No Muffler

0 0%
  • Custom Catback + Long Resonator + Second Long Resonator

0 0%
  • Custom Catback + Long Resonator + Chambered Muffler

1 4.17%
  • Custom Catback + Long Resonator + Straight Through Packed Muffler

4 16.67%
  • PaceSetter Catback + MONZA Muffler

1 4.17%
  • PaceSetter Catback + Chambered Muffler

1 4.17%
  • PaceSetter Catback + Straight Packed Muffler

0 0%
  • Tuned Header + Pre Cat Muffler + Long Resonator + Custom Resonator Back

1 4.17%
  • Open Header

7 29.17%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Exhaust & Muffler , Getting The Style & Sound You Want

Vehicle
    93 civic
    Quote Originally Posted by Hash_man_Se_i
    RSR is super expensive stuff... you could get one for a 4th gen accord, but it might have to be slightly modified... and youre probably looking at about $600 USD.

Im trying to find the thread here, but busted had a thread where he described his exhaust components.

You spent roughly 300-400 (depending where you go for your custom piping and welding)

I have a 22inch resonator, Highflow cat, straight-thru muffler all from magnaflow + custom 2.25 piping.

Key note: is that exhaust was painted flat black by my brother.

by the way, here is the link.

https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43649

Quote Originally Posted by cke
    Is that straight back? I see the bend at the end, but it's hanging lower then stock. Bends up.
    That's how I want mine. Thanks for showing that it's possible without making sparks =)
    I didn't say it was straight-back muffler. The piping actually mimicks the stock piping in similar bends. What I meant was muffler is straight thru (it is not chambered like stock ones) if you take the muffler part (the flatblack of my exhaust) and look through it you can see thru the other side. In a chambered one you cannot see it.

oh it actually curves a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Acid X
    Busted, how much did that magnaflow system cost you, and was it custom made for the 3g or do they actually sell them for 3gs?
    i paid somewhere along the lines of $400 dollars for a new cat and full custom catback exhaust system. It was all custom done by a muffler shop with universal parts I've gathered up.
    as far as...this car sound like a weedwhacker...you gotta listen to my car. I personally LOVE mine. Mr Eff's exhaust sounds just as well and it definitely isn't a weedwhacker.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1997 Mazda Protege (mom's car)
    The weed whacker sound is usually a problem (or a worsened problem) when people remove their cats, or don't have a resonator, or buy a cheap eBay special fart can. It's even worse with hollowed out cats 'cuz they buzz and sound exatcly like a powered garden tool. (I remember laughing my ass off seeing a CRX with a weed whacker exhaust driving down a street covered in leaves and blowing them everywhere)

Accord of the Year - 2007

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord, CRV B20 swap.
    Quote Originally Posted by firelizard
    The weed whacker sound is usually a problem (or a worsened problem) when people remove their cats, or don't have a resonator, or buy a cheap eBay special fart can. It's even worse with hollowed out cats 'cuz they buzz and sound exatcly like a powered garden tool. (I remember laughing my ass off seeing a CRX with a weed whacker exhaust driving down a street covered in leaves and blowing them everywhere)

I think it has to do with a number of things Engine Size, cat, pipeing, muffler, resonater....ETC. I have full pipeing from the car back with a 00 eclipse v6 muffler and PS header. I still get a little bit of a rattle at higher RPM and it was real bad with the muffler that use to be on there.
    Complete repair manual <---- (click here)

Vehicle
    93 civic
    Sound is actually changed by a bunch of things.
    -Resonator (the longer the deeper the tone)
    -whether your piping is straight thru or chambered
    -Catalytic covertors (some highflo ones sound better than normal cats)
    -size of piping. (2.25 sounds different than 3 )
    -Header (this definitely changes the tone and adds a bit of rasp)
    -Flexpipe (sometimes changes the tone)
    Really..you can make a 1.5 liter sound nice and deep without sounding like a WEEDWHACKER.
    There are nice setups out there that sound absolutely wonderful on hondas and others that just sound like shit. My exhaust sounds similar to aftermarket exhausts like the RS*R. It has rasp but..not to the point where it is thousand bees flying at you.

Quote Originally Posted by Helix
    Well, the shop called friday. Everything from the catalytic convertor back is total junk. I guess the stock honda exhaust systems only last about 230,000 miles. What a bunch of crappy metal!
    Anyway, I really like busted blue's setup, but I fear it'll be too loud for my wife. I don't want anything loud... can you get that muffler with that tip, only chambered instead of straight through?
    just get a dynomax muffler. The exhaust tip I got was seperate from the exhaust and you can just add it to the dynomax and get the same look. Just paint the dynomax flatblack too.
    Here is the tip I bought.

http://www.performance-curve.com/ind...ROD&ProdID=260

Banned
    Vehicle
    89 LX Sedan
    Hrm. The shop called, they quoted me $319 for the two center pipe sections, and a muffler. Installed. Seem reasonable? I can't find any shops around here that'll do anything custom for around the same price.... it's 'walker' brand if that makes a difference. Is there a company that makes a 'bolt on' catback system for the 3g accord? No welding involved?

Vehicle
    87 3G RIP, 95 KA7, 95 5G Coupe
    on my 3G I have a dynomax boss turbo.
    gives it a deeper sound.
    looks stock.
    Powerful tone while accelerating.
    anti-rice

Banned
    Vehicle
    89 LX Sedan
    That's super. However, I'm asking if there's any BOLT ON SYSTEMS for the 3g accord. I've been searching online for about 20 minutes, and the ONLY catback system I've found is pacesetter. From previous experience, pacesetter is total crap. However, the shop the accord is sitting at deals with walker exhaust systems, which really aren't much better. My dad had a walker lifetime warranty muffler that he's replaced about EVERY SINGLE YEAR on his wagon.

So again... does ANYBODY know any 'bolt on' catback systems that exist for our cars?

Vehicle
    1990 CRX, 1992 Honda Civic DX (sold, then stolen! :(), 1988 Honda Accord LX (sold + missed :()
    I went and got an exhaust installed today. I went with a magnaflow, and 2.5in piping. It's really quiet, but not a quiet quiet, its more like a low rumble quiet. If that makes sense. It sounds FANTASTIC though!

I bought it and had it installed in a shop, but unfortunately they just cut off the old exhaust and welded on the new.. But then again maybe thats how you're supposed to do it.

Theres 2.5 inch piping up to where that bend in the pipes are right under the front seats, and then its stock up to the motor.

I feel a TAD better performance, but nothing major. I'm just happy it doesnt sound like a weed whacker on crack.

I highly suggest magnaflow! (But i didnt get it painted like lucky YOU Busted!)

Vehicle
    93 civic
    Quote Originally Posted by Acid X
    I went and got an exhaust installed today. I went with a magnaflow, and 2.5in piping. It's really quiet, but not a quiet quiet, its more like a low rumble quiet. If that makes sense. It sounds FANTASTIC though!

I bought it and had it installed in a shop, but unfortunately they just cut off the old exhaust and welded on the new.. But then again maybe thats how you're supposed to do it.

Theres 2.5 inch piping up to where that bend in the pipes are right under the front seats, and then its stock up to the motor.

I feel a TAD better performance, but nothing major. I'm just happy it doesnt sound like a weed whacker on crack.

I highly suggest magnaflow! (But i didnt get it painted like lucky YOU Busted!)

thats good to hear that you enjoyed the magnaflow.

I had a flange installed that connects to the cat for easier removal. So basically cat and on is a flange with 2.25 piping. The cat easily bolts on to the dc sports header and the custom piping and works quite well.

I asked them to put flanges otherwise they would've done it the way you recieved. Did you install a resonator?

The flat black paint is just paint from an aerosol can from home depot (high temp flat black paint). 3 bucks and some newspaper masking later, I got myself a flatblack muffler.

Vehicle
    1990 CRX, 1992 Honda Civic DX (sold, then stolen! :(), 1988 Honda Accord LX (sold + missed :()
    No, i didn't install a resonator.. It probably would have costed a bit more, and i wasnt looking to spend a bunch of money. I just needed to replace half of the pipe from the muffler to the cat because it had a large hole. So i decided to get a magnaflow put on there, and the guy replaced the damaged pipe with 2.5".

Too bad i didnt know about the flange thing.

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar
    i am running a cherry bomb old school style straight through glass pack.i made the tip out of a ten pound block of billet. i wanted something that would resonate really well and if you hold it up and tap it ,it will ring like a bell. these engines have a nice sound not ricy at all you have to open up the exaust in order to be able to hear it. I figured out that the ricy sound comes from the apc sticker on the front winshield combined with the wing on steroids in the back. anyway i made the entire system from the bottom of the manifold back. the local exaust shop found me a flex coupling in stainless. i clamped it all together then took it off in one piece so the guys at work could weld it. i wanted welds that were consistent all the way around the pipe.my converter got damaged so i temporarily removed it until "somday" i get the money to fix it

here's the cherry bomb and my billet tip that picture was fine until it went through photobucket lets try cardomain

Quote Originally Posted by firelizard
    that's because the crx is a weed wacker,bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzwiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnn nnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeewewewewiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnn nnnnneeeeeeeeee it's a crappy 1.5 remember these are two litres they are always going to sound different then rice buckets. i have an open exaust from the manifold back to the cherry bomb it doesn't sound anything like a rice bucket. the internals of the engine are different too, these are designed more like classic race engines from the 70's . that's the sound i was looking for. and it's loud! i have to shout at my wife under acceleration. it's wierd no one bothers me about it though.

i think the ricers want that sound. the cherrybomb mufflers sound nice because they are a glass pack and get rid of some of that raspiness. my flexpipe is bigger then most because i fabricated it from scratch(hey buthead his flexpipe is bigger then most hehehehehehe uhuhuhuh he said pipe heheuhuhheheheuhuhuh shut up butmunch ahhhhheee%$#@&^& ) i think that affects the sound as well as that heavy tip i made from aluminum. your displacement has a pretty big effect on sound pitch too, just like tuning an instrument. remember the engine is nothing but a big air pump . did the crx have one of those giant fart can tips? maby if he had backed up he could have blown the leaves off of the road

hey bevis, this thread is about big pipes! yea!yea! big pipes! bevis you don't have a big pipe! shut up butmunch!chicks dig 3gs with big pipes, not those queers from the slow and the curious, uhuhuhuhuhuhuh yea buthead they're ricecakes!! yea!yea! ricecakes! ricecakes suck bevis uhuhuhuhuhuh

I finally got a pic of the cherrybomb to turn out,the tip is made from solid billet. I love the sound of this thing but it's loud as heck. I can't talk to my wife at anything like full throttle,can't even hear the radio. It sounds just like an airplane from inside of the car.

has anyone thought about trying supertrapp mufflers,they not only look cool,but you can change the number of discs to tune your powerband. http://www.supertrapp.com/product_se...auto/index.asp

Vehicle
    86 Accord LX-i HB (traded). Now 96 Civic EX coupe
    Hey, we are putting these new mufflers on at my work ( i work at a reputable muffler shop) and these i have to say are absolutely amazing.

This is not a joke, i've seen these things in action before and it just blows you away at what just a muffler can do.

Here's a promo video of them.
    http://www.pickupspecialties.com/Aer...bine_promo.mov

For those of you guys that are deep into performance, ESPECIALLY you guys that are turboed, these are an absolutely amazing technological breakthrough.

Aeroturbine Benefits Include:

* Increased Fuel Economy
    * Reduced exhaust gas Temperature
    * Increased Horsepower
    * Increased Torque
    * Increased Engine Longevity
    * Reduced Backpressure

I am personally going to be putting one of these on my car, at work, the least amount of fuel mileage that we have seen was on a new Ford Focus, which gained 1.5 mpg.

The highest we've seen is a mitsubishi Galant, which gained approx. 7 mpg, just from putting on this muffler.

For more info on these if you guys are weary about this, check out this website:

http://www.pickupspecialties.com/Aer...e_mufflers.htm

OH and one thing about installation of these mufflers!

In order to attain the performance and gas milage that these offer, you MUST have 1 foot, yes, 12 inch's of straight pipe BEFORE the muffler....Otherwise, you won't have optimal flow to the muffler. That site that i linked you all too has pictures of vehicles that don't have that, and they are gaining little to nothing as far as performance and gas mileage.

And as they are stainless steel inside and out, it makes welding more tricky.

They are also very thin, and will burn through easily if you DON'T know what you are doing.

They also have a lifetime warranty from the manufacturer....

Quote Originally Posted by A20A1
    That audio is so off, the guy is way louder then the rest of the clip... but still it's quiet.
    We had a 98ish 4 door civic come in and get an aeroturbine muffler on recently, and i was VERY suprised at how quiet it was... It makes me want one more and more every day.

Quote Originally Posted by suvsareretarded
    Okay, I just watched that video. Wow. What a load of crap. First off, it loses credibility by showing the tach from a 60s musclecar fading into F1 cars and back. That's just stupid. Secondly, it says that factory systems are restrictive and create higher exhaust temperatures. So what if the exhaust temp is higher? Does that matter? Oh wait! Let's just use a snooty british guy voice and people will think it's scientific! And the explanation of how the special chamber works?! WHAT A JOKE! The vast majority of the exhaust will go right down the middle, unobstructed. If you guys are seriously interested in this joke of an exhaust, maybe you should look into this also;

www.tornadofuelsaver.com
    And with the F1 cars and 60's vehicles, what does that have to do with anything? They use them on both of those vehicles because it works.

Maybe it might not matter what temperatures our exhaust is on unleaded fuel engines, but Diesels are another story.... Maybe you should do your research before you flame on this?

They have dyno results that are proven, I personally work at a muffler shop and I can personally testify that these mufflers really do work.

That website you posted up, the damn product looks like a fucking fan..... I would think that it would cause more backpressure.... but that's just from looking at it, I don't have personal experience with these, so i'm not about to say whether or not they are usefull or not.

Do you have dyno sheets proving that these mufflers do NOT work? If not, you can just wallow in shame right now because you are starting up a flame that you have zero information on.

I do have dyno results from various car makers, and models. They prove both HP and torque number increases.

I also have gas mileage records that these really do work. It does vary on the increase in mileage due to the type of car that you own.

it says that factory systems are restrictive and create higher exhaust temperatures.
    In most cases, THEY DO. With more restrictive mufflers, it does create higher temperatures in the exhuast flow.

This design essentially creates a vacuum of air flow through thermaldynamics and physics.

03 Nissan Maxima 6spd 3.5L -- Daily Driver
    96 Civic Ex-T 210whp/183wtq @ 9.5 psi tuned on Hondata s300 -- Now at 12psi, unknown power
    04 CBR600RR - Sold, and now wrecked. RIP

LX User
    Vehicle
    87 accord lxi hatch (FI) stolen :(

Re: Aeroturbine mufflers....

Quote Originally Posted by Accordtheory
    I wonder if it would actually beat a flowmaster on a chassis dyno..if it will, I'll have to upgrade, my flowmaster is too damn loud anyway. The flowmaster design is supposed to produce more average hp over an open pipe also.

i don't know enough about the aeroturbine muffler... but i do know that flow master is crap. i have seen them put on more tham ome independent flow bench, and they don't flow nearly as well as the company says they do. i brought in my dynomax, before i installed it, to my friends machine shop where he has a flow bench. and it easily outdid any flow master he's tested and its cheaper... i would be interested to see some actual flow bench numbers on the aeroturbine, to see how it compares to dynomax and other brands
    87 hatch (stolen)

88 lxi 4dr, 5spd, threw a rod... in process of swapping engine from my 87 hatch (police recovered what was left of the car).

the fucker that sold me the 88 is lucky he lives 500 miles from me...

Vehicle
    1991 Civic STD

so theoretically if this muffler increases outgoing exhaust gas pressure, then would this also decrease the spool time on a turbo?

Of course I'm lazy. If I wanted to work on my car I'd have gotten a DSM
    Daily Drivers Done Right

SEi User
    Vehicle
    87 hatch, stock sleeve b series gsr clone..
    Quote Originally Posted by modu03
    i don't know enough about the aeroturbine muffler... but i do know that flow master is crap. i have seen them put on more tham ome independent flow bench, and they don't flow nearly as well as the company says they do. i brought in my dynomax, before i installed it, to my friends machine shop where he has a flow bench. and it easily outdid any flow master he's tested and its cheaper... i would be interested to see some actual flow bench numbers on the aeroturbine, to see how it compares to dynomax and other brands
    A flow bench is Not equivalent to a running engine. I remember reading a thread on H-T where people were trying to use a flowbench to determine which intake manifold would make more power. Yet if you want a better number, just use bigger, shorter runners. See anything wrong with that? The best use for a flowbench is cylinder heads. Engines move air in pulses, waves, whatever. It's not just continuous, smooth airflow. A resonant anti reversion chamber, a flowmaster uses that to its advantage.
    But, at what point of exhaust energy reduction does the flowmaster stop having an advantage? In other words, say you have a big cube n/a muscle car, headers, no cats, an exhaust that would be loud as hell without mufflers. This is the car where flowmasters made their name, and will beat even an open pipe.
    But now take a modern small displacement turboed engine with a cat, or worse, multiple cats like a wrx, etc. The exhaust will be relatively quiet without even running a muffler at all. So the turbo and cat have taken and dampened a lot of the pulse and sound energy of the exhaust..the exhaust has become more analogous to a flowbench in other words.. So now does the flowmaster just become another restriction to flow?? I am going to put this to the people on H-T and see what they think.
    I had a friend with a WRX, and we put on a new muffler. Even going through all the cats it was still INSANELY loud.
    I know a guy with a wrx with a 3" pipe, no cats, and just a perforated tube style muffler, and his car is way quieter than mine ever was..I don't get it.
    I also don't get how this aeroturbine muffler is supposed to work, either. Separating the pulses and recombining them to cancel each other? I certainly don't see it producing lower backpressure than a straight pipe.

suvsareretarted, I guess I didn't expain myself well enough. The example you used is the resonator, which has a larger volume than the connecting piping. Like pressure and velocity, volume and velocity are inversely proportional also, so the velocity will be lower through a larger volume tube, for a given mass flowrate. That is intuitive, obviously. But where you are off is thinking that there will be a lower pressure in the resonator than the smaller piping connected to it. The higher velocity in the smaller tubing yields a lower internal pressure. Strange, yet true.
    Coming off that, you have a couple misconceptions about how a carburetor works. It is not a pressure operated device, the fuel is not squirted, or sprayed into the airstream. The only reason you need a fuel pump with a carb is to get fuel into the bowl. The airflow throught the venturi pulls the fuel out of the bowl, through the jet, and into itself. If your carb is sized correctly to your application, there will be hardly any pressure difference across the venturi. However, that small difference is still enough to give efi an edge..
    And finally, you still don't understand what I wrote about backpressure. Smaller tubes create scavenging by imparting a higher velocity to the exhaust, giving it inertia, or momentum, to pull a slight vacuum on the overlap cycle. backpressure at higher rpm is a necessary evil of smaller tubing. Backpressure without velocity is totally counterproductive. So once again, any backpressure created by a muffler is counterproductive too.

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord LX-i hatch

Yes because you obviously know enough about said subjects to comment on. I'm not trying to be mean, but honestly, the muffler is a joke. Will it improve performance in comparison to a stock exhaust? Sure, probably about as much as any other free flowing muffler. Is it some revolutionary concept? No. Do I find it hilarious that you actually think magnetic fuel clips work? Yes, hilarious and sad. Whatever dude. Maybe you should deck out your accord with tornado fuel savers, magnetic fuel clips, electric superchargers, high performance JDM grounding kits, and a 'CPU upgrade' off ebay that promises you 25% more power.
    If this design was REALLLLLYYYY so good, then auto manufacturers would be using it from the factory to increase their MPG ratings on every single model.
    hahaha! way to rip him a new one... but seriously, i think they might have something with this design. from looking at the video they have on their website, it appears that the internal design creates a low pressure area in the rear of the muffler, in the same way that the curve of an airplane wing creates lift. however, i'm still not convinced personally that this benefits performance because 1) if it works like they say it does, it essentially kills backpressure, which our engines need for low end torque, and 2) it might not even work like they say it does. remember, they're trying to sell something, so anything they say must be taken with a grain of salt.

Vehicle
    86 Accord LX-i HB (traded). Now 96 Civic EX coupe

If this design was REALLLLLYYYY so good, then auto manufacturers would be using it from the factory to increase their MPG ratings on every single model.
    That is a thought, but there are many people that have come back and had them taken off of their vehicles because they were too loud for them or their significant others.

They probably would do that, however, the noise effect has a huge effect on sales and customer satisfaction.

Quote Originally Posted by charlesb2003
    1) if it works like they say it does, it essentially kills backpressure, which our engines need for low end torque
    Yes it will... and my boss has expressed this to me and he's not too sure that i will have optimum performance after I install this muffler, but seeing as i get most of everything done there for dirt cheap, i figure, why not? It's worth a shot.

This muffler would more than anyone, benefit the turbo guys.

In some high performance cars, before the muffler, there is a section that looks like a muffler, it's a large 'can' so to speak, but it's totally empty. That's the resonator.
    Uhm... every car that i have looked under that is stock, has a resonator, cars that is, trucks i see don't usually have them. Most of them look like a miniature glass pack. Aeroturbine has their own resonators, and honestly, they look like a can....

a resonator is used to quiet down the exhaust, why would you put one on a high performance car might i ask?
    Last edited by Deadhead; 11-29-2005 at 07:26 PM.

03 Nissan Maxima 6spd 3.5L -- Daily Driver
    96 Civic Ex-T 210whp/183wtq @ 9.5 psi tuned on Hondata s300 -- Now at 12psi, unknown power
    04 CBR600RR - Sold, and now wrecked. RIP

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    Quote Originally Posted by Accordtheory
    ...And finally, you still don't understand what I wrote about backpressure. Smaller tubes create scavenging by imparting a higher velocity to the exhaust, giving it inertia, or momentum, to pull a slight vacuum on the overlap cycle. backpressure at higher rpm is a necessary evil of smaller tubing. Backpressure without velocity is totally counterproductive. So once again, any backpressure created by a muffler is counterproductive too.
    I wrote some things in the backpressure faq
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=352

it's under the cylinder "blowdown" portion of my post... about wasting power using the cylinder to pump out left over exhaust gas VS scavenging helping to reduce the amount of gas the cylinder needs to pump out.

But at the very end I had some thoughts on the possible uses for backpressure... beyond the simple more-low speed tourque answers.
    Some of it has to do with loosing power from bleeding the fresh mixture, less mixture to compress and burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadhead
    That is a thought, but there are many people that have come back and had them taken off of their vehicles because they were too loud for them or their significant others.

They probably would do that, however, the noise effect has a huge effect on sales and customer satisfaction.
    I agree that the muffler itself may not be enough noise reduction for most manufatures, and given it may not be suitable for use on a stock system with the cat and such. If the muffler placement in itself full of prerequisits then it may get tossed to the way side as the benifit of adding such a product would be more costly then the power gained.
    It's the tried and true VS. a product that would require testing to probably get the most out of it... honestly I'd get the sense that the auto maker would be in the "why bother" mindset.

Honestly I want to prove or disprove that the AT muffler either works, only works under certain conditions, or is complete BS.

I don't write things off as 100% BS untill I have some proof... as you can see I've stumbled onto some other areas of gas flow, etc. but I'll get back on track and should have some good answers as to why their muffler is able to make a vortex and why it helps velocity, scavenging or what not.

Accord of the Year - 2008

Vehicle
    89 Accord No Motor and 88 Accord HB LX-i

Question

Anyone put the Edelbrock SDT Muffler on there Accord and if you Have Do you like it? Let me Know. Using Edelbrock's patent-pending Sound Deflection Technology, these high-flowing mufflers are the latest in exhaust equipment. The chambered design manipulates the sound waves while allowing the engine to breathe. The benefit is a distinctive and throaty exhaust note that's dripping with muscle without going over the top. The SDT Muffler is completely free from any packing material, eliminating blowouts and deterioration of the sound over time due to wear and tear. The Edelbrock engineers met the audacious challenge of developing a chambered muffler that would achieve the right balance of sound and performance. Their solution—use the sound against itself. As the exhaust enters the muffler, the sound travels through the entry chamber and into the resonator chamber where it's reflected back out into itself, lowering the sound level. The exhaust then passes from the entry chamber and into the parabolic sound deflection chamber via an intermediate tube. Inside, the parabolic sound deflectors are designed so that the incoming sound wave energy is redirected back upon the incoming sound waves, reducing exhaust noise significantly. The end result is a powerful and throaty sound that produces more horsepower than the most popular chambered mufflers on the market.
    Now Available in Two Styles
    Two styles of SDT mufflers are available from Edelbrock to fit a variety of applications. Our Ti-Tech SDT mufflers are built from 14-gauge aluminized steel and finished with new Ti-Tech coating that maintains its good looks even after hours of use in harsh conditions. Read about Ti-Tech or Ceramic Coating for more details on this exciting new finish. For a show winning looks with SDT performance, our 304 Stainless SDT mufflers are constructed from 304 stainless steel that can be polished to a high luster. OUTSTANDING TEST RESULTS
    SDT Chambered Muffler Test Results
    Using our eddy-current Superflow SF-840 chassis dyno, we ran our SDT Muffler against one of the more popular chambered mufflers on the market. Here are the results:
    '67 Chevelle HP TQ '00 Suburban HP TQ
    Competitor's Brand 433.4 421.7 Competitor's Brand 303.0 311.1
    SDT Mufflers 439.6 426.0 SDT Mufflers 315.3 317.0
    GAIN OVER COMPETITION 6.2 4.3 GAIN OVER COMPETITION 12.3 5.9

here is a pic of it

Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter
    i hear flowmasters are good flowing (lol)
    i had a flowmasteri could hear myself think they just not made for 4cyclinder.
    LX-R coming soon Here's a hint. 89mm stroke/ 41.60cc head /ARP head & main stud's /SRP piston's 81.5mm 9:5:1/Crower Rod's & more to come

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Lxi Coupe

Re: Has anyone put this on?

that looks very restrictive

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX

Quote Originally Posted by cke
    Eh, get a freeflow setup and don't sweat it.v=)
    Agreed!!!!

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation

i hear flowmasters are good flowing (lol)
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

LXi User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord LXI Coupe

wait, so the flowmaster sounds bad or good? lol.

also, what do you mean when you say a FreeFlow Setup??
    V12 Supercharged Toyota Accord

LXi User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord LXI Coupe

ok, is it mainly for a turbo engine?? or for just about any car, im just looking to make my car have a Deep tone (or a higherpitched nice one), without the rice fartcan.....
    V12 Supercharged Toyota Accord

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX

No its not neccesarily for a turbo engine its just a name. They sound real nice with 2 or 2.5 inch pipe. Definitely not ricy sounding.