View Poll Results: Favorite Exhaust Setup For Sound & Performance - Assume Upgraded Cat Where Applicable

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stock

2 8.33%
  • Stock + Chambered Muffler

1 4.17%
  • Stock + Straight Through Packed Muffler

1 4.17%
  • Custom Catback + Chambered Muffler

2 8.33%
  • Custom Catback + Straight Through Packed Muffler

3 12.50%
  • Custom Catback + Long Resonator + No Muffler

0 0%
  • Custom Catback + Long Resonator + Second Long Resonator

0 0%
  • Custom Catback + Long Resonator + Chambered Muffler

1 4.17%
  • Custom Catback + Long Resonator + Straight Through Packed Muffler

4 16.67%
  • PaceSetter Catback + MONZA Muffler

1 4.17%
  • PaceSetter Catback + Chambered Muffler

1 4.17%
  • PaceSetter Catback + Straight Packed Muffler

0 0%
  • Tuned Header + Pre Cat Muffler + Long Resonator + Custom Resonator Back

1 4.17%
  • Open Header

7 29.17%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust & Muffler , Getting The Style & Sound You Want

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX

Re: Please recommend a quiet exhaust

Apex-I WS

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

Quote Originally Posted by carotman
    Apex-I WS
    thanks for the info... personally I think that tip is too big but I won't rule it out completely

btw, what's this muffler? it looks too big to be the SEi muffler as stated in the sidebar
    Last edited by POS carb; 02-23-2007 at 01:43 PM.
    Eric
    3geez member since October 12, 2000
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord EX-i

i've got a magnaflow on mine... i like the sound of it..... u do hear it from the inside... but i love it lol.... i personally don't think it is very loud.... but i did get pulled over for it being "too loud" but got a ticket for improper muffler... i still don't know why it would be improper...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2577239
    Jonathan Tavares <Toronto, Ontario, Canada>
    1988 Honda Accord EX-i

Accord of the Year - 2009

Vehicle
    Accord 2.0i-16 '87 - Accord Aerodeck EXi '89

I have a magnaflow straight through dual tip muffler on my 2.5" exhaust system and I definately dont recommend that if you want something quiet. It's rumbling loud as f***

Link to my 3geez garage
    • Accord 2.0i-16 '87 B20A2 DOHC 16v
    • Accord Aerodeck EXi '89 Exclusive Edition

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

Damn the hooker is getting a hole in it?

The hole can affect the sound.

Where is the muffler located? Where does the tips exit?

If the tips exit too close to the car it increases interior noise.
    Best to have the tips exit near the edge of the rear bumper, at least beyond any metal.

Also whats the Diameter of the exhaust inlet and outlet on your Aerochamber? Smaller will help with noise. And if it's dual out muffler you can have even smaller pipes because they will add up to the flow of a single larger one.

You might want to try a dual out muffler vs just using a Y tip to get duals.

The thinkness of the metal will also help. after I cut off my 0.50" thick stainless tip which was massive and quite heavy and swapped it for a regular exhaust pipe with a chrome tip cover interior noise increased. So actually the think metal helped reduce the interior noise.

It was a solid metal tip, not sure if a "Dual Walled" tip will work as good.

- llia

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX

Yes, that muffler in the picure you posted is the OEM SE-i muffler with the chrome tips on it.

I agree that the World Sport muffler is a bit big but it's the best sound/flow compromise you can get. I wish they would make one with no fancy muffler tip on it.

You can now get that muffler in flat black tough.

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i sedan

I can recommend Borla, but it's a bit more money. SS muffler AND tip and decibel level is street legal. Nice lower-frequency burble and seems as quiet as stock when cruising, but has a subtle growl when on the throttle.

Here's the link:
    http://www.borla.com

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

Also might want to look into Super Trapp. They work and if you add enough sections will still flow the same as an open tip.
    - llia

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX-i-1991 Toyota Pickup

My 86 LX-I Exhaust (Videos)

Well I ran across these today and decided to post them up. In car and out.

1986 Honda Accord Lx-i

~~NGK~~Silvania~~MSD~~Pioneer~~MSW~~Bosch~~DC Sports~~
    115WHP 116WTQ

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Prelude 2.0Si-T

Re: My 86 LX-I Exhaust (Videos)

he wont hit the highs cause he know itll sound like shit and hes trying to make it seem like it sounds nice. lets be honest ive had a civic, accord, and now an integra. all our little four cylinders will always sound like "rice" im over that whole shit about how it sounds, just as long as it does wat its supposed to its all good. so wat system are your running anyways???
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

Vehicle
    ^ Actually I Don't hit the highs because I'm not stupid enough to put too much pressure on an engine with 3xx,xxx miles on it. If you want them I will make one. I think it sounds great for what I paid for it...free....sounds good to me. We're not here to bash.

Quote Originally Posted by Estimated Prophet
    Is that the Magnaflow you spoke of? If not what is the set up?
    Yup, it's what I told ya in the im.
    1986 Honda Accord Lx-i

115WHP 116WTQ

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si
    im gunna prove that you can make a 4cyl sound good. just gotta weld one more muffler in there lol

ok yesterday got some welding done, he should be showing up today or something to do the rest.....

sounds good so far i like it. ill post a vid when its done

welds look okay to me prolly just the foto tht makes em look shitty. and yeah ur right who looks under the car and sees. as long as it works and doesnt leak ill be happeY

ok exhausts on car lookin and soundin good no matter what the welds look like... i hope you were lookin at the pics in my 2nd post at those we;lds cause the ones in the 1st post were the old ones
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m24_nszL6eU

Accord of the Year - 2006

Quote Originally Posted by gfrg88
    he wont hit the highs cause he know itll sound like shit and hes trying to make it seem like it sounds nice. lets be honest ive had a civic, accord, and now an integra. all our little four cylinders will always sound like "rice" im over that whole shit about how it sounds, just as long as it does wat its supposed to its all good. so wat system are your running anyways???
    im going to have to disagree with you on that one. The reason being is that I use to have a really nice sounding setup! The setup mas madrel bent 2.25 tubing with a good quality glasspack for resonator and a remus dual tip muffler.

This sounded awsome! no raspiness, no wet fart, or angry bees sound. Just a pure deep tone that would rival that of any 6 cylinder.

I now have the same setup but with a good quality magnaflow ss steel dual tipped muffler, and honestly it does not sound that great to me.

Teh key lies in the remus" mufflers resonated tips. Those extra bits of perforated/glaspacked tips made all the diff in getting rid of the nasty raspy sound.

buy some resonated tips for like 35-45 each to say a dynomax etc instead of the fart cannons and youll be surprised. or buy a muffler with resonated tips alond with adding a rsonator in your exhaust system.

your exhaust sounds ok. a little quiet but not bad.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

when i did do my exhuast it was a bit raspy.....now its all broken in....the cat has a nice orange/red color to it. and its more deep. i have new magnaflow cat 2.25 inch, with pipe to a magnaflow muffler. after the cat is nice and warm i dont get any rice noise to it.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by guaynabo89
    im going to have to disagree with you on that one. The reason being is that I use to have a really nice sounding setup! The setup mas madrel bent 2.25 tubing with a good quality glasspack for resonator and a remus dual tip muffler.
    This sounded awsome! no raspiness, no wet fart, or angry bees sound. Just a pure deep tone that would rival that of any 6 cylinder.
    I now have the same setup but with a good quality magnaflow ss steel dual tipped muffler, and honestly it does not sound that great to me.
    Teh key lies in the remus" mufflers resonated tips. Those extra bits of perforated/glaspacked tips made all the diff in getting rid of the nasty raspy sound.
    buy some resonated tips for like 35-45 each to say a dynomax etc instead of the fart cannons and youll be surprised. or buy a muffler with resonated tips alond with adding a rsonator in your exhaust system.
    your exhaust sounds ok. a little quiet but not bad.
    I actually wish it was quieter...the exhaust isn't even open to what I want it to be yet, so it's gonna get louder unfortunately. I'm thinking of going with another resonator though to quiten it down.

Quote Originally Posted by gfrg88
    im not trying to bash bro!! my 3g had nearly 450,xxx and i would rev the shit out of her, id take it to the track, everything.... its all on how you take care of the car, you now change oil when needed ( i did it every 1500 miles), all the usual stuff and itll last.... and one little bounce off the limiter to see how it sounds isnt gonna do jack shit LOL!!

n00bs these days......
    When when your video comes out with you pinging the rev limiter, I'll watch. There's no need to sit and redline for minutes at a time, what's the point? If my engine was the shit then there might be a point. But being as I have a stock engine, I feel no need to redline constantly or on occasion. You know what I see redlining at ever stop light? Pure rice, and people thinking that a slammed stock car is a sports car. And if you consider me a noob so be it. Every one builds the car "They" want, not what someone else has or wants...at least I won't. I'm sharing part of my car with the community. Might sound like shit to you, but a free magnaflow muffler, and a free car is right up my alley. I do drive it hard, but I let it rest. I just cant stand the obnoxious people at the red light redlining, thats my view on it.
    1986 Honda Accord Lx-i

115WHP 116WTQ

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Prelude 2.0Si-T

Quote Originally Posted by mushroom_toy
    When when your video comes out with you pinging the rev limiter, I'll watch. There's no need to sit and redline for minutes at a time, what's the point? If my engine was the shit then there might be a point. But being as I have a stock engine, I feel no need to redline constantly or on occasion. You know what I see redlining at ever stop light? Pure rice, and people thinking that a slammed stock car is a sports car. And if you consider me a noob so be it. Every one builds the car "They" want, not what someone else has or wants...at least I won't. I'm sharing part of my car with the community. Might sound like shit to you, but a free magnaflow muffler, and a free car is right up my alley. I do drive it hard, but I let it rest. I just cant stand the obnoxious people at the red light redlining, thats my view on it.

i never said, all you have to do is redline the crap out of it all the time. all i said is, that if your trying to show off your exhaust, wich is why you obviously started this thread for, then you should let people how it sounds all throughout the rpm range... not just up to 2500 rpm. and theres a couple of videos in here of my revving my car, to show how it sounds, me driving, me stomping it, etc. i also never said it sounded like shit. also lets all grow up here and stop using "rice" this rice that. just let people do wat they want, wat might be rice to me might be the sickest shit to you, and vice versa, so on and so on...........
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    Quote Originally Posted by Helix
    So again... does ANYBODY know any 'bolt on' catback systems that exist for our cars?

Pacesetter

or

https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53789

Quote Originally Posted by mushroom_toy
    I actually wish it was quieter...the exhaust isn't even open to what I want it to be yet, so it's gonna get louder unfortunately. I'm thinking of going with another resonator though to quiten it down.

Resonators do little to make exhaust quieter they make it deeper, most resonators that are sold are glass-packed and are absorption mufflers not real resonators, they use packing meterial to convert sound into heat, but only a certain frequency is effected, the rest of the sound bounces off. Mufflers with smaller exists/outlets will quiet the exhaust. Need more flow just get a muffler with smaller dual outlets, not a single out with a "Y" to make it look like a dual out. Also avoid having the tip end under the car, it should end at the bumper, at least past the bumper cutout for the muffler tip, to avoid some of the exhaust noise hitting the underbody and reverberate inside the car.

You don't have to rev the car to redline, but some 4,000 rpm tests or drive-bys would be nice to hear if someone wanted to compare your setup to theirs.

The first video of yours sounds like you are indoors like parked in a garage or something.
    The second one is very raspy, some mufflers will actually make that sound worse. I had a tip from some Japanese company or mock Japanese company that when you put it on a stock exhaust would make that raspy sound... though it was a quieter buzz since it was on stock setup waste of $30 for a resonated tip .
    - llia

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX

My Exhaust Setup

i never posted pics of my exhaust setup so here it is.
    Stock header for now (want pacesetter(
    Magnaflow 2.25 Cat.
    Flowmaster??? Muffler
    Need to get a new header and a resonator before july have a big road trip and the sucker is loud!!!!.

video my timing is bad
    Last edited by DDRaptor; 05-30-2007 at 10:34 PM.
    First Accord 88LX R.I.P 7-19-07 (Might be Jolted back to life at least temporarily)
    Seeking another but only with 5-speed I'm joining the Darkside
    89LX or SE-i(yeah right)

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Re: My Exhaust Setup

yeah my magnaflow is a bit loud at high RPMs but it looks stock.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    Honda Accord's EXi #1 [A20a4] R.I.P & #2 [B20a2]

Messy You just everywhere... LOL

Allthou, nice setup. like it.

Its prttey fnuny how you can raed tihs eintre snetnece with all tehse ellters out of palce...

My Build Thread

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomisimo
    Messy You just everywhere... LOL
    Allthou, nice setup. like it.

and i still manage to hit preludepower and talk to my friend on aim...

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    Honda Accord's EXi #1 [A20a4] R.I.P & #2 [B20a2]

You never sums to ameze me )))

Its prttey fnuny how you can raed tihs eintre snetnece with all tehse ellters out of palce...

My Build Thread

damn you only got 88k miles! i have like 4x that much

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX

i was waiting for someone to say that.

looking for sugesstions as to resonators in 2.25in

and someone have a pacesetter they wish sell for about $100-140
    First Accord 88LX R.I.P 7-19-07 (Might be Jolted back to life at least temporarily)
    Seeking another but only with 5-speed I'm joining the Darkside
    89LX or SE-i(yeah right)

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Hatch MT

Quote Originally Posted by DDRaptor
    i was waiting for someone to say that.
    looking for sugesstions as to resonators in 2.25in
    and someone have a pacesetter they wish sell for about $100-140
    A cherry bomb should do the trick:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cherr...spagenameZWD1V
    Honda Parts Connection -- http://www.acurahondaparts.com