View Poll Results: Favorite Exhaust Setup For Sound & Performance - Assume Upgraded Cat Where Applicable

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stock

2 8.33%
  • Stock + Chambered Muffler

1 4.17%
  • Stock + Straight Through Packed Muffler

1 4.17%
  • Custom Catback + Chambered Muffler

2 8.33%
  • Custom Catback + Straight Through Packed Muffler

3 12.50%
  • Custom Catback + Long Resonator + No Muffler

0 0%
  • Custom Catback + Long Resonator + Second Long Resonator

0 0%
  • Custom Catback + Long Resonator + Chambered Muffler

1 4.17%
  • Custom Catback + Long Resonator + Straight Through Packed Muffler

4 16.67%
  • PaceSetter Catback + MONZA Muffler

1 4.17%
  • PaceSetter Catback + Chambered Muffler

1 4.17%
  • PaceSetter Catback + Straight Packed Muffler

0 0%
  • Tuned Header + Pre Cat Muffler + Long Resonator + Custom Resonator Back

1 4.17%
  • Open Header

7 29.17%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust & Muffler , Getting The Style & Sound You Want

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX

Re: My Exhaust Setup

yeah man thanks for that advice i have one in my storage unit but it's 2"
    First Accord 88LX R.I.P 7-19-07 (Might be Jolted back to life at least temporarily)
    Seeking another but only with 5-speed I'm joining the Darkside
    89LX or SE-i(yeah right)

Banned

Flowmaster??????

I have never seen a flowmaster like that

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Hatch (Sold),1989 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 88 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 89 LX-i Sedan (RIP)

I like the exhaust tip that you got on there.
    Do you know what brand it is?

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX

hence the question marks the place i got it from cause i bought the cat online and then when it rusted to hell i went to this place gave them the cat and picked out that muffler best looking out of the ones there.

and pico it's a muffler the whole muffler came like that that's why i picked it it's not very common and it fits the body very well.
    First Accord 88LX R.I.P 7-19-07 (Might be Jolted back to life at least temporarily)
    89LX or SE-i(yeah right)

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Coupe Twins/89 SE-i Coupe/88 Suburban

Cool muffler.
    88 LX-i coupe auto (241K DD), 88 LX-i coupe 5-speed, 89 SE-i coupe auto.
    Quote Originally Posted by stat1K View Post
    who is tim and where can i get naughty pictures of him?
    CARDONE SUCKS.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

that is NOT a flowmaster muffler.

Those mufflers like the one you have are LOUD as sh*t

They look great though.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

I like how the tip matches the opening.
    The res wont really quiet the exhaust down it'll make it deeper, you'll need something with decent volume, chambers/baffles, and smaller exhaust opening(s).
    - llia

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

Quote Originally Posted by picopop
    I like the exhaust tip that you got on there.
    Do you know what brand it is?
    Still looking, not sure yet

Magnaflow , Oblong tip
    http://www.cromerexhaust.com/exhaust...ails.asp?id=17
    http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

R-Active , Wide Oval Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip
    http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c..._1949_73120325

- llia

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX

wait so what do you really reccomend to quiet the whole system down.
    89LX or SE-i(yeah right)

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

i thought the resonator would quiet it down....by canceling out the loud sound waves.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX

was under the same impression.

edit so not even this would work???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-25-...QQcmdZViewItem
    Last edited by DDRaptor; 06-06-2007 at 10:44 AM.
    89LX or SE-i(yeah right)

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord Lxi

On my 88 Accord I'm thinking of taking the resonator off, and leaving the factory muffler on. How do u think that will sound?

Vehicle
    ???? ????? ???? ?? ???

Quote Originally Posted by hondomatic
    On my 88 Accord I'm thinking of taking the resonator off, and leaving the factory muffler on. How do u think that will sound?

Loud & Ricey
    2004-2011?

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord Lxi

damn lol whats a cheap muffler? Would it sound better if I took off the muffler and left the resonator on

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX

na man i'm gonna keep it factory design,

pacesetter header, magnaflow cat, vibrant resonator, and the question muffler i honestly have no idea who makes and it does'nt have any brands on it. it just fits the body so well.
    89LX or SE-i(yeah right)

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    Here is a thread on different muffler setups and some sound clips, but some othe the older links to the clips are broken.
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44016
    Quote Originally Posted by MessyHonda
    i thought the resonator would quiet it down....by canceling out the loud sound waves.
    Sound waves travel by expanding and contracting the medium they are in.
    to cancle the sound out you have to have an opposing wave that expands while one contracts and contracts as the other expands, that way the net force is = 0 .
    Honestly the Vibrant Resonator is just a Glasspack muffler, it absorbs the sound waves that come through the holes, what frequency it absorbs, I don't know. But don't expect the packing material to last, the sound will no longer be absorbed in the same way when the packing wears out. The vibrant doesn't cancel out sound because it still has the preforated pipe in the middle so you still have very energetic waves escaping the straight through muffler/res so the decibel level isn't really lowered just some frequencies are dampned.
    Most resonators use a HOLLOW section in which to reflect the sound waves back, they may also use angled metal surfaces to diffuse the sound, the resonator in the pic is probably a hollow resonator and it has angled surfaces for diffusion, but even that isn't as good as a resonator chamber in a muffler.
    http://www.lextreme.com/Exhaust-3-resonsator.jpg
    The added volume of chambered mufflers means more surface area so more energy is transfered... the sound also will move a little slower because the gas expands and cools, the change in temp changes the sapeed of sound, but the change is pretty small.

In a straight through muffler with packing only some of the sound is absorbed, the rest exits the exhaust rather unhindered.
    However in a chambered muffler you can trap a lot of the sound in the form of barriers that delay the time it takes for the sound to exit the pipe. The sound will be quieter from; A: friction/restrictions and the increased time it's moving around, and also by B: from running into reflected sound waves and canceling out or just hitting other disruptive waves.
    Think smaller exhaust outlets. The exhaust outlet diameter is just another restriction to trap the sound waves, but don't think of them as massive exhaust restrictions. If you are worried about flow look for mufflers with high CFM rating and two smaller exhaust outlets that are equal in flow to a larger single exhaust outlet. Basicly a dual out muffler.
    For reference; two 1.9654 square inch pipes (1.58" Diameter) will flow the same as one 3.9308 square inch pipe (2.25" Diameter)
    Don't use a single outlet muffler and add a "Y" to make it dual tip because that isn't the same, although smaller diameter will produce a different sound then the larger one.
    Because tip design can effect the exhaust note... may be RPM dependent though.
    Many choices are:
    Rolled tips, most refer to rolled inward
    Rolled Out tips , look more like a trumpet and usually make a decent sound.
    Straight tips
    Slant tips
    I'm getting very interested in the Twin-Loop or Double-Pass mufflers, and their internal construction.
    But usually they are quite bulky.
    Another look materials and how they effect sound.
    http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/le...aterials_table
    Here is something you can apply as to why a lot of glass-packs and straight through generic mufflers and glass packs that claim to be resonators fail to reduce noise or amplify some noises and is probably why the fart can sounds the way it does and why glass-packs sound changes over time as the packing meterial changes and deteriorates with age.
    Anyways my suggestion to making it quieter would be to get a chambered muffler that fits in the area right after the cat, assuming you're keeping the muffler you have now, but if that doesn't fit your plan then at least get the packed muffler, but a good one... large and long. when I say large, the body of the muffler is large, not the inlet and outlet.
    - llia

Vehicle
    88 4-door LX

quiet exhaust

what's the most-quiet aftermarket headers and exhaust system?

want to use headers for the throttle response gain, but also want to keep it as low-noise as possible. i would even consider throwing the stock exhaust on aftermarket headers, but i'm not sure if the pipe diameters would line up....

eyeballing these Supertrapp Internal Disc Series:

http://www.supertrapp.com/product_se...t.asp?CatID=28

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

Re: quiet exhaust...

Quote Originally Posted by 88accordSF
    ...but also want to keep it as low-noise as possible. i would even consider throwing the stock exhaust on aftermarket headers, but i'm not sure if the pipe diameters would line up.
    Large-chambered muffler + dual outlets 1.5" each. thats my suggestion.

most don't come with 1.5" outlets so a 2.25" inlet and dual 2.0" outlets is the next best thing.

Don't take this as absolute truth, it's more or less what I've discovered.

Just a quick search pulls up Flowmaster "50 Series", it's chambered and it flows 362 CFM, thats about the same flow as a 2" straight pipe.
    -
    Then there is Dynomax "Super Turbo", which is not what I'd lable as a chambered exhaust but at least it's not straight though and it offers 410 CFM which is 40 or so less CFM then you get with a 2.25" pipe.
    -
    Next there is the Hooker "Aero-Chamber" Flows 441 CFM I think I saw on the box when I got it that is was higher CFM then that, it's partially chambered, not many in the size and style you need though.
    -
    Lastly there is the Borla XS which is said to be quieter then the Aerochamber, but there are no chambers and I didn't see the inlet and outlet style and diameter I was hoping for.

I didn't list magnaflow as they tend to be straight though packed mufflers, but they are good mufflers despite that.

Any of those mufflers can be made a little quieter if the outlet is larger by adding a reducer cone on the outlet of the muffler to bring it down to 2" or 2.25" and 1.5" for dual out., even with the loss of some CFM you're not going to kill all your power at low rpms, only in the upper rpms.

Remember to look into getting a Long Large Volume Packed Muffler (Absorbtion Muffler) to install after the cat but before the primary chambered muffler.

eyeballing these Supertrapp Internal Disc Series:
    http://www.supertrapp.com/product_se...t.asp?CatID=28

External Supertrapps are alright, I see them on ludes, but it looks like they are also connected to a muffler and the supertrapp is more of a tip. Also I see a supertrapp like plates bolted straight to the header, for tuning and some noise reduction.

I've never seen one of the ones you've linked installed, and the ones listed only have 2" as the largest diameter. Although 2" is still a good deal for a 2.0liter motor. It will be smaller than the pipe off the header.
    That supertrapp also looks like a Bike/Motorcycle/ATV Muffler because of the reverse cone design, and the chamber isn't much bigger than a straight through packed muffler, so be wary of how much it will actually reduce the noise levels.

i would even consider throwing the stock exhaust on aftermarket headers, but i'm not sure if the pipe diameters would line up....
    As for the exhaust pipe, you could keep it stock for now, but I wouldn't use the stock exhaust, since the header is probably 2.25" out, you'll want to keep the exhaust the same diameter.
    Stock is 1.75" While 1.75" and even 2" is alright, the consensus has been 2.25", now if that was by consumer demand or educated design I can't say but most aftermarket companies made a 2.25" collector.

You could also try reducing the header from 2.25" to 2" with a nice merge, and then run 2" all the way back to your 2" muffler.

Also consider upgrading the cat to a high flow cat with matching diameter to the exhaust, but all this just depends on how much you want to spend on the exhaust.

As for a quiet header, none really, sure the different materials and pipe diameter will effect the sound but not the noise level really.
    And thats assuming you have a choice in which header you get, you're usually stuck with pacesetter unless you find a DC or make your own.

EDIT: I got bored and 3D modeled two of those bike mufflers together.
    - llia

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

Buy...a...muffler.

Generally I find that the larger the volume of the muffler, the more sound energy it can absorb, thus a quieter car. I don't think you would be happy with anything from Supertrapp.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

I was going to model my muffler I have on my car now, it's not very quiet since the packing has burnt out and it has a large 2.5" outlet, but it has an interesting open chamer with wavy baffles... i was thinking of constructing a cone reducer from the current 2.5" down to 2" which sould reflect sound waves back into the muffler and give it a little more time to mix with incomming waves.
    Maybe go so far as to weld different sized heat sink looking fins or corregations on the inside of the cone to act as diffusers.

Sorry guys I'm just a nutty person when it comes to anything exhaust related.
    - llia

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX-i

Re: Has anyone put this on?

Or try no muffler at all, lol. NM that's illegal. But seriously I had an 87 Accord LX-i Hatch 5 Speed, and my girlfriend and I took a trip to the Eastern Oregon Desert, and drove up a 5 mile dirt road that was probably better suited for a 4x4 truck or SUV. Well we weren't going any faster than 15 MPH when we hit a hole and the muffler fell off, lol. It was getting dark, and my GF was freaking out because we were only halfway up the hill, and the car was getting a little warm because of the uphill 4x4 excursion; that and we had already been on the road for about 5 hours. I have to say that the 3G is not all that loud without a muffler. It's definately quieter than a Harley. There's no point to my story, just thought I'd share it, lol.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A
    point, yes you have a point or why would you talk your girl into driving her poor car up in the wild bigfoot land...
    joking, there is still a tiny little resonator and the cat up stream that muffle the sound a bit, it really makes you wonder how the fart cannon mufflers actually make it louder... hrmmm maybe it is just a large metal kuzzoo.

you have a point alright, who goes up a dirt road in the woods in the middle of nowhere with their chick and dont have a point....lol
    these cars have a tiny lil resonator muffler by the cat, between the two the sound is muffled some. funny though how fart muffler make even that louder than it was to start with, maybe those work like a kazoo hrmmmm
    Last edited by HostileJava; 06-16-2007 at 08:53 AM.

flowmaster

Im looking for a new muffler less ricey than mine, quieter, not as huge, and a better sound what do yall think about this one, i want something pretty quiet but sounds a lil better than stock and not high pitched

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/60_series.html

Vehicle
    Honda Accord 1988 EX-i

Re: flowmaster

Funny you should ask this question. I absolutely hate that "fart can" muffler sound. And back in early May I had a custom exhaust put on my 88 Ex-i. The one stipulation I had with the shop was that it didn't sound like a "fart can". The work was done, he started it up, and sure enough, it sounded good. Louder of course, but not fart canny. Anyway today I had it up on the hoist for a different issue and it was the really the first time I had had the chance to look under it. There is no cat and straight back to a high flow exhaust, but what makes it sound "good" and not "fart can-ish" the the resonator. I swear it must be close to 2.5 feet long.

So what I'm saying is that in my experience it isn't so much the muffler as it is the resonator? Some may disagree, but as I said, I don't have a cat nor do I have a "magnaflow" and the car sound "throaty" not "canny".

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Re: flowmaster

i got a magnaflow muffler...2.25 inch...and its not that loud..it sure flows alot better.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned