Thread: Alt. gave up, mabie save time?

Vehicle
    89' Accord LXI

Alt. gave up, mabie save time?

Almost made it to work tonight when my stereo cut out my dash and head lights started to dim and motor started to mis. So I pulled over and it died. I thought i was going to make it but not a chance. Thank god for AAA towing.

anyway will the alt. fit out the top. I really don't want to take the drive shaft 1/2 way off (hains guide). I have a short ram so all the stock intake is gone and it looks like it will fit with out much problem.

hoping so save some time, has anyone done it like this?

thanks

mike

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    on LXI you can just pull it up between intake and firewall. it will fit just fine.
    it is carbed engines that you have to drop axel to get the alternator out.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    89' Accord LXI
    YES, i thought so, it really looks like it will fit. I have to buy one today and put it in, shouldn't take long if i don't have to drop the axel.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    swifts/sprints boosted
    I managed to pull it out the top with a carb, then again it was an 8 hour alt job to do it that way. Couldnt get the axle nut off, so we figured we'd go through the top. Quite the bitch mind you.

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX
    Just to let you guys know all you have to do for a carb it drop the suspension and you can slide the alt across the top of the axel to get it out. Just FYI nothing to important.

DX User
    Thankfully, (though unfortunate for anyone else), i am not the only one this has happened to. Still havent fixed mine.... When you get it fixed, let m eknow how much it was... Thanks

Glad it got the Lx-i-

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord LX
    ................u guys talk about removin the suspension or removing the drive axel.............all i did was unbolt all the mounting bolts and lift th engine a good 2-3" to make room between the motor, axel, and firewall for undercar removal. I did this alone, no help whatsoever. if u are not sure which ones to do, let me know. i consider this much easier than removing the axel or suspension to gain access. nothing to remove here but a few bolts, lift it and out it comes. I finally am able to remove the pics from my cam to the pc, so now i can take pics of what u need to do if u need it.

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord LX
    Quote Originally Posted by FyreDaug
    I managed to pull it out the top with a carb, then again it was an 8 hour alt job to do it that way. Couldnt get the axle nut off, so we figured we'd go through the top. Quite the bitch mind you.
    8 hours, damn must of been hell. I got a way where u can do it in a half hour tops. let me know if u want me to show u. ill post pics if u are unsure.

Vehicle
    89' Accord LXI
    Alt. was $165.00 - $55.00 core = $110. It was eazy to change out. I had to buy a big bolt and two nuts to stretch the lower mounting bracket to help slide the new one in. Took a hour and a half.

After i changed it it runs ALOT better and my stereo sounds better.

DX User
    Thanks alot, Also, did you buy used? Or new parts?.... Also, if you could be so kind t tell me where...
    Thanks Again

-J
    "Anywhere I may roam,Where I lay my head is home."
    -Metallica
    88' Lx-i, Un modded, for now...

SEi User
    Vehicle
    swifts/sprints boosted
    Also, if you were on a shitty alt for a while, you should notice some more power. The alt has to work really hard to make the same amount of power. Thus creating more engine "drag"

on my carbie I have a weber so there is enough room to wedge it out the top. Before the weber I used to unbolt the side mount and jack the engine up by the oil pan, it can coume out through the bottom like this w/out taking your axle out
    Eric
    3geez member since October 12, 2000
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau