Thread: front fender

LXi User
    Vehicle
    87 LXi Hatch (5-speed)

front fender

Hey,

maybe this is in the wrong place, but i'll try this one here first.

I was opening my door the other day, and it caught on the front fender, made a little pop, and then opened. the next time i opened my door, it was worse. From the outside, i can see the fender is in too far, and the trim on the door is what started the whole problem. Its happened before this too, but i thought maybe forcing the fender back out with a screwdriver would solve the problem. it didn't. What can i do to make sure the door is aligned right with the fender? I noticed that it isn't lined up perfectly at the hinge part either. is there a way to move the fender out about 1/8"?

thanks for the help!

Vehicle
    '01 BMW 740i,'87 Accord,'02 Accord EX-L,'76 Datsun 280Z,'05 Subaru Legacy GT*R.I.P.*
    i wouldnt try adjusting the door. that can make things worse and isnt real easy to do always. my fender did that, where the door would catch on it. i think it had probley been hit or something, just enought that it bumped it in some. what i did was open the door all the way, and pulled on the fender bringing it out to where it was supposed to be pretty much. i havent had any problems since. also, if your door trim is loose, then that may cause that. i used 2 sided 3M tape to attach my door trim because the clip that held it on was broken. its been like that for 2 years and havent had a problem. that could be due to how well i cleaned the area the tape was on.
    Keep it HONDA. Or at least Asian.™
    *Weber 32/36*Pacesetter Header*2.25 in. Cat Back exhaust*SE-i rear disk brakes
    B18C swap ditched, A20 to be revived
    Looking for K20/trans for ultimate swap

Vehicle
    87LX / 86LXiHB / 90CRXSi(b16a) all gone... 91CRXSi(b16a) ...round two
    also check the mounting points for the fender, there is one in the top corner between the fender and door that might be a problem. That joint was rusted out on my fender, and I have seen others at teh J/Y with the same thing. If that bracket is broken your fender will never sit correctly. I replaced mine, and everything it peachy now.
    garagement racing

stlhondas.com

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX

Thumbs up

When I put another fender on my car, I had the same problem. I just loosened all the bolts that hold the fender on. I then put a big flat-head screw-driver between the fender and door (while closed) , turned it a little. It then pushed the fender forwards a tad. Put a wrag on the screw-driver.
    *edit* I'm not sure if the hinges have an adjustment. I know on older cars, you can re-place some parts on them.
    Last edited by 88Accord-DX; 05-27-2005 at 01:01 AM. Reason: sentence structure.

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Coupe
    i had this problem, thanks to my asshole uncle who kicked in my fender. I pulled it back out with a screwdriver, after my trim caught on the fender and busted the clips and fell off... the trim on teh fender is back on, but i put a tiny little finishing screw in the front part of the door trim for now, just so it would stay on until i can get new trim.