Thread: Wiring My horn button on my Momo steering wheel.

Vehicle
    93 civic

Wiring My horn button on my Momo steering wheel.

I noticed there are a few members here questioning how the horn button would work if we had cruise control. I decided to take on the task and make a ghetto fab to make it work.

Main Problem
    The stock cruise control hub is oddly shaped. Noticed that the bottom of the hub is not flat like other non cruise control hubs. There are 3 prongs. The two parallel ones are for cruise control and the other one that is perpendicular is the horn button. Because of this, we cannot use the flat gold peice from the hub and have to use the stock one with the prongs. Now the problem with this is that the black peice will NOT spin with the Hub.

Here is the hub with the stock peice on.

So what I did was use L Brackets where I'm sure you can find at some hardware store or something. I bent the L bracket a little more to resemble more like a V so it would line up with the side of the hub. I put on the L bracket to slip onto the two bumps on the stock spinner thing. This way I don't have to secure it to just the hub and it can be removed and put back a stock steering wheel.

Last edited by Busted_Blue; 06-10-2005 at 09:10 PM.

Vehicle
    93 civic
    I basically just was either going to weld that sucka on or JBWELD. Of course I figured JBWELD should hold good enough. It looks sloppy but hey, it gets the job done.

Now the hub will spin with the stock spinner as that is not connected to the hub. Now the horn can work as long as you get a female terminal on the positive wire and plug it into the horn prong.

Now my horn works. Hope this helps someone else who wanted their horn.

Last edited by Busted_Blue; 06-10-2005 at 09:15 PM.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX
    BustedBlue,

Keep it up and you're gonna cost someone AOM someday.

Peace.

The Watcher sees all and knows all. I like to watch!

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord Lx-i Sedan (long term project)
    That's a cool idea. But I already ripped all my cruise control stuff out. I guess I'll figure something else for rewiring the horn.

Vehicle
    93 civic
    Quote Originally Posted by ICEMAN707
    That's a cool idea. But I already ripped all my cruise control stuff out. I guess I'll figure something else for rewiring the horn.

basically all you need is that spinner thing and you can run the horn. I don't even use my cruise control anymore but at least this mod it is possible to return to stock. The flat peice on the peice that came with the hub has no where to touch a metal that has the electrical charge. if you take off that spinner, you notice that there are 3 tracks that prevent the flat peice from touching it. So I wanted to find a way to use the stock spinner to get the horn. I hope you find a solution. This one seems to be the only way I know of.

Iceman, this is a pretty good idea to just retain the horn. last night some bitch cut me off after I insisted it was my right of way. I could've used the horn then.

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord Lx-i Sedan (long term project)
    Thanks man, your how-to should be a sticky. Too many stupid drivers out there. I'm usually afraid to stay in a car's blindspot and try to speed up past them before they do some stupid move of swerving into my lane.

The horn is pretty much an in/out curcuit. I just have to find the horn wire (i think it's the blue one with red stripe) and attach it to the horn button with a positive lead on the other end.

Vehicle
    93 civic
    the horn is the blue wire on the left side.

I'm sure someone could do this alot better. I just wanted to throw the idea out on how to get it to work. Sone could make a lot cleaner looking one than this. My friend and I just thought of the idea since we were bored and somehow L brackets came into play.

Keep in mind I used Boss Green colored box Hub Kit for 86-89 integra, 86-89 accord, 88-91 EF Civic/CRX

It may be different for the momo hubs which are no longer made anyways.
    Last edited by Busted_Blue; 06-10-2005 at 10:47 PM.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box
    i agree, this needs to be posted in the how-to section

Vehicle
    1989 honda accord Lx ( cheeseburger mobile) 1989 honda accord Lx-i ole blue
    thats a nice looking Momo you got there

Vehicle
    93 civic
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Sky
    i agree, this needs to be posted in the how-to section

sure why not.

Vehicle
    1986 lxi 4 handle, 77 gmc 4x4, 97 astro van on 18's,98 Honda Shadow Aero 1100
    That would be the same deal for any steering wheel, you think D?
    I just got a wheel, not Momo though. With a quick release and I will just follow your install if it's similar to set up.
    http://members.cardomain.com/3gn86lxi
    ~Ryan~
    Custom STEEL z3 fenders, and true HID

Vehicle
    93 civic
    Quote Originally Posted by 3gn86lxi
    That would be the same deal for any steering wheel, you think D?
    I just got a wheel, not Momo though. With a quick release and I will just follow your install if it's similar to set up.

this wiring is just for the hub actually. the quick release is independent from the hub and it doesn't matter what kind of quick release. It matters what kind of hub you use.

If it helps, this is the hub and quick release I bought. The hub was detachable to the bottom peice that is suppose to replace the spinner so that helped me doing this. I'm not sure if the Momo Hub is detachable bottom to allow us to do this. If anyone got the same hub as I, they can do it this way perhaps even better.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33704

Vehicle
    Mine is a little different, but it should be about the same install. How do you like the quick release, does it work well? Have you actually been taking the wheel off when you park the car?
    ~Ryan~

Vehicle
    93 civic
    Quote Originally Posted by 3gn86lxi
    Mine is a little different, but it should be about the same install. How do you like the quick release, does it work well? Have you actually been taking the wheel off when you park the car?
    Depends where I go i guess. I have like 5 levels of security.

Level 1: Alarm
    Level 2: Alarm + Autolock
    Level 3: Alarm + Autolock + loose items in trunk + valet lock on the latches.
    Level 4: Alarm + Autolock + loose items + quick release off
    Level 5: All the above + other stuff.

Mainly I use level 4 when I park my car for longer than an hour. I use Level 5 mainly when i won't check up on the car for long periods of time. I used level 5 today at Great America cause I would be in the park while the poor accord sits there in the sun baking.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation
    JB Weld? Very nice, use whatever works mang. Soo do people ask you all the time if that activates NAWWSSSS?
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

Vehicle
    1989 Accord SE-i coupe
    I installed mine a bit differently. Granted I went for an APC brand three-spoke wheel and had to use the APC install kit but it's still valuable to the thread.

The piece in Blue's first pic... I ripped it apart. I soldered the contact for the horn directly to the aftermarket hub. Had to do a bit of guesstimation and eye work to get it lined up so that it would rotate in the horn ring (rip it apart, you'll know what I'm talking about).

There's the finished product. Solder good. Lots of solder better. Accuracy by volume all the way here.

If you want, you can use this same thing to put yerself some NAWSSSSSS on the wheel. Install another button on it, score the phrenolic so that one side is the horn and the other is one of the (now useless) cruise buttons. Install the contact in the same way, run a wire and thereya go. Instant extra button.
    My collection: Stay tuned! (04/02/2009)

Quote Originally Posted by bobafett View Post
    glorious!

imagine a beowulf cluster of tho... oh wait... its sabz. how is the beowulf cluster of myth boxen treating you?

Vehicle
    93 civic
    That is a good idea too! Definitely valuble to the thread. I would've never thought of that. I guess my mind was set on just keeping that stock spinner on for maximum reversibility. I like doing mods that can be reversed because perhaps I won't like it and will want to go back to stock. Who knows? Anyways, good idea. This will definitely help those who need to install an aftermarket hub.

Vehicle
    I will be referring to this thread in a week or so when I get my Momo wheel Busted . I went for the aluminum look though, rather than black.
    ~Ryan~

LXi User
    Vehicle
    87 LXi Hatch (5-speed)
    i think the 86/87 combo switch assembly is different than the 88/89 assembly. i'll take some pictures maybe tomorrow, and show you. i have a momo steering wheel, and a hub, but it isn't quick release. it looks a lot different. I have to find a wiring diagram so i can get it to work.

Vehicle
    I may finally get my wheel tomorrow, they didn't ship as promised .
    But everything on my quick release looks easy to wire.
    ~Ryan~

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Re: Wiring My horn button on my Momo steering wheel.

why do you have the cruise contacts on there,doesn't the momo have a horn slider like a grant? you shouldn't need the cruise unit at aqll the horn wire plugs into the cruise slip ring,it's one wire,the other two wires off that slip ring go to a plug for the cruise. normally theres a copper contact on the non cruise cars that goes between the wheel and the combination switch, if you use a grant hub,this should work with this factory contact. the cruise unit just goes in between the two is all
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 07-19-2008 at 05:19 PM.

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

umm old thread........

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord sedan B-series

hell ya it is lol.....word

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

Vehicle
    1988 EX-i 4dr, 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 2006 TSX

Old yes... lol But I sure as hell can't get my horn to work with my MOMO hub.... I stole the horn/cruise ring from my se-i because the momo hub wouldn't fit with the one like busted's, im so lost lol.