Thread: failed inspection in nys

LX User
    Vehicle
    87 honda accord lxi

failed inspection in nys

alright so if anyone else saw my other post i went in for inspection the other day and had lights out and shit... well i got that all fixed and both springs in the front and the outer tie rods are bad... i was reading the post about the springs and it dosent look too bad... any one have any other inputs...

https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=101

how hard are tie rods to fix?? didnt see a how to on them

Vehicle
    88 LXi
    Quote Originally Posted by bigal004321
    alright so if anyone else saw my other post i went in for inspection the other day and had lights out and shit... well i got that all fixed and both springs in the front and the outer tie rods are bad... i was reading the post about the springs and it dosent look too bad... any one have any other inputs...

https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=101

how hard are tie rods to fix?? didnt see a how to on them
    tierods are the rod end nearest the tire. There easy to replace but you will need the alignment (toe-in) reset by someone. If you put them on the EXACT length as they came off it should be close enough to drive around etc.

As far as springs the only way I could see it fail would be if the springs ( coil springs) are broken. I cant think of a way to fail it for faulty, say shocks (struts in our case) unless they drive it and there horrible. So I question that at least.

wp

LX User
    Vehicle
    87 honda accord lxi
    no the springs are all busted... when i hit a bump it makes a creaky noise so we will see if this helps... thats what the guy said... yea the guy said i would need an alignment after but ill wait till after... that is not required for an inspection

Vehicle
    88 LXi
    no the springs are all busted... when i hit a bump it makes a creaky noise so we will see if this helps... thats what the guy said... yea the guy said i would need an alignment after but ill wait till after... that is not required for an inspection
    Well squeeks dont mean failure. I inspected all kinds of crap and the only one i failed was a guy with his main rear leaf on a pickup truck broke.

I think you might want to try another guy. Thats just me.

Inspection is BS thats why most states dont do it. Garages make nothing or maybe a buck off it they can't charge more. So it ends up being just a vehicle for them to sell parts to saps who dont know.

And FYI I grew up in Otsego co. so I know all about NYS little screw jobs.

wp

LX User
    Vehicle
    87 honda accord lxi
    alright ill keep that in mind.. but i bought all the parts at autozone and it cost me 90 bucks so ill just spend the time this weekand and just fix them... otheer than that what should i suspect i should fix??? the dealer said if i fix those pieces i will pass inspection??

i have an 87 lxi 200k so she has quite a few miles on her

Vehicle
    88 LXi
    alright ill keep that in mind.. but i bought all the parts at autozone and it cost me 90 bucks so ill just spend the time this weekand and just fix them... otheer than that what should i suspect i should fix??? the dealer said if i fix those pieces i will pass inspection??

i have an 87 lxi 200k so she has quite a few miles on her
    well what comes to mind is E-brake that one can be a bitch if its all rusted up lube it before you go get test. Need OK brake pads on the front theyll check one side, lights, wiper, horn.tires,mirrors um emission if you have it ? I dunno thats about it. Frame rust between the wheels if your car really looks like hell. Just general unsafe stuff.

I havent done them since 1990 so bear with me if im a little off. EXHAUST was not part of the inpsection thank god ( unless emissions).

Picky shit like leaking power steering they can get you for but they all leak and loose front end stuff but alotta places dont check that.

How much does it cost now?
    used to be $8 bucks I think 6 goes to the state 1 goes to the county so the garage gets a buck usually for what 20 mins of bs. Yeah thats worth it ot them

wp

LX User
    Vehicle
    87 honda accord lxi
    yea they have a whole bunch of weird stuff they look for now... in suspension here ill go grab a copy of the text.. but yea it was 21 bucks for inspection i heard from a person in long island it was in the 30's

Front end assembly - check condition.
    Steering wheel play - check for excessive freeplay.
    All steering linkage - check for tightness or binding, excessive wear and/or looseness in parts, including idler arm, center control arm, tie-rod ends, drag link ends, steering and pitman arms gear box, cross shafts, bushings, wheel bearings, steering column or steering wheel shaft mounting.
    Power steering - check operation, condition of belt, and for leakage.
    Shock absorbers - check shock mountings and for broken or missing shock absorbers.
    Springs and torsion bars - check for sagging or broken springs, or a broken, disconnected, missing or bent torsion or stabilizer bar.
    Chassis/frame - check for breaks, cracks, or severe rust at the suspension attachment points.
    Wheel fasteners - check for missing or broken parts.

LX User
    Vehicle
    87 honda accord lxi
    now the struts are the shocks for these cars right??? should i just replace that while i have everything out?? probally old bastards as well

Vehicle
    88 LXi
    now the struts are the shocks for these cars right??? should i just replace that while i have everything out?? probally old bastards as well
    yeah struts are the shock absorbers. The strut on our cars is an assembly of the strut and the spring together. Yep there most likly worn and if your changing the springs you ll have it apart anyway,thats called free labor in the business.

wp

LX User
    Vehicle
    87 honda accord lxi
    yea i dont want to spend the money to buy them at like autozone.. so they will have to wait till another time... but damn anyone have any good tips for those springs.. fuck i have been at that thing all day.. so i bought one of those compressors at autozone that goes on the outside of the spring.. well that fucking thing gets the old one off easily but not long enough to put a new one in... so i think ill just go get some threaded rod...

Vehicle
    88 LXi
    yea i dont want to spend the money to buy them at like autozone.. so they will have to wait till another time... but damn anyone have any good tips for those springs.. fuck i have been at that thing all day.. so i bought one of those compressors at autozone that goes on the outside of the spring.. well that fucking thing gets the old one off easily but not long enough to put a new one in... so i think ill just go get some threaded rod...
    Yeah it can be a bitch, There is a certain one thats good for our style. Do a search here(on this site i mean) it came up a while ago. You can make one outta threaded rod i had to do it for a lift i was putting on a Ford Explorer a while back. But you can send a socket thru the spring which is nice.

Check with rental places too they rent em.

wp

LX User
    Vehicle
    87 honda accord lxi
    yea ill get it i was just ranting but shouldnt be too bad just takes time...

Vehicle
    88 LXi
    Ill add this also:

Standard front end check,

1: jack up one side of the car till the tire is off the ground. The other tire must be on the ground still. I use the jacking point under the doors.

2: grab the tire 3 and 9 o clock postion and shake/rock back and forth slow at first. might needsome one to help look underneath. This checks tie-rods,steering rack etc. start kinda slow and work your way up a little harder. Your looking for loosness. Use common sense of course the steering wheel will move or the other tire may move if you shake the shit outta it.

3: Grab the tire 12 and 6 o clock. Rock back and fourth.This checks the wheel bearing and ball joints other links

4: this check might show ball joints/upper link a little better. Use a pry bar under the tire at the 6 o clock pos. pry up look for slop looseness while prying.

This is your basic "front end check" any good mechanic should know. It works for all makes and models of cars

wp

LX User
    Vehicle
    87 honda accord lxi
    alright so i got one spring on and it was fucked up it was broken everywhere... But anyway on the passenger side when i tried to remove the fork the bolt snapped so i ened up getting the whole lower support out and was going to drill it out... but anyway the little metal shaft came out of the bushing... can i just put in a new metal sleeve or should i just get a new bushing?

Vehicle
    88 LXi
    alright so i got one spring on and it was fucked up it was broken everywhere... But anyway on the passenger side when i tried to remove the fork the bolt snapped so i ened up getting the whole lower support out and was going to drill it out... but anyway the little metal shaft came out of the bushing... can i just put in a new metal sleeve or should i just get a new bushing?
    In the lower arm? well be nice to replace that bushing but I think you could just put another sleeve in there I think it comes with the bushing anyway.
    DAmn your in it deep now. I dont miss that rusty bolt shit at all. Anything else you take apart soak with penetrating oil atleast a day ahead oftime it realy helps. I like PB Blaster.

wp

LX User
    Vehicle
    87 honda accord lxi
    i know right im just going to put one a metal sleeve in and see how it rides.... and now i just can put everything back together today..what a project

LX User
    Vehicle
    87 honda accord lxi
    UPDATE i passed inspection... but has some noises now so ill have to find it and lube it up hopefully this is the last thing to change for a while

Vehicle
    88 LXi
    UPDATE i passed inspection... but has some noises now so ill have to find it and lube it up hopefully this is the last thing to change for a while

COOL

beat the man at his own game.

wp