Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2nd Gen Accord SEI B20A Swap

DX User
    Vehicle
    1985/2g/Accord 2 doors

Arrow 2nd Gen Accord SEI B20A Swap

Well Hi guys, this is my new project i was thinking about my old engine and swap a new one on my car my car is a 85 accord 2 doors with and es2 engine (a20x carb litter borth i think ) and the one wo is goin in is a B20A accord jdm f2k5 tranny (blk cover) with a pk2 prelude 90 ecu , i'm alredy put the engine on the engine bay but have some minor problems. i just wondering if i have to used the intermed. shaf axle but i end using the accord one and fit perfectly, with the mounts i reused the old mounts of the es2(a20x) you will see the pics also have trouble with the vss and i don't have one on my car (the cluster are so diferent but i like my cluster so i think what to do next)...well time for some pics..

Old engine pics....

My Car....

My new engine....

Instaling the ECU and fire up......

lot of code come up (2,12,17,13) but the engine run fine and smoth but everything is allrigth now thanks to this great forum i can find almost any info of wat to do my brother and i do almost the work alone with tow other friends
    especial the EGR code i hate that thing ....

My Cluster (if u see the engine are at 600rpm and warup)... i like it so i make a mod on the VSS sensor on the tranny and swap one fron and accord 89 pic later ....

Vehicle
    A20A3T

Thumbs up

Wow very nice props on the swap. You must love the power compared to before.
    Stop bench racing and pick up a wrench

I know my spelling sucks and I suck with computers deal with it.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    Wow, nice.
    - llia

DX User
    Vehicle
    1985/2g/Accord 2 doors
    a Quik Q, its fine for me use the old axle well i realy have the midshaft but i decide to go with the long axle fron the car is this allrigth? wonder to if the pk2 i can loss power fron the engine?, and i see sothing strange the pk2 put the red line at 7200 rpm... <---- realy!!! WOW

and yes i'm thinking on turbo thas my dream 5psi stock no more and it realy funny to drive now 15.9, 15.7, 15.4 1/4 mile my best time
    Last edited by Honda3G; 06-14-2005 at 10:02 PM.

Vehicle
    A20A3T
    Those are some respectable times 5 psi you should be in mid to lo 14's. I should be running around 15psi this year.
    Stop bench racing and pick up a wrench

I know my spelling sucks and I suck with computers deal with it.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation
    good work man! I dont think ive seen that done before
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    Car looks very clean. Good job.
    No projects. Life consumes my time and money.

Vehicle
    '88 Accord LX-i
    that car is clean and that is definitely a nice swap for it...great job!
    '88 LX-i Coupe --- LS/Vtec
    '08 Accord EX-L 6-6 --- Daily Duty

DX User
    Vehicle
    1985/2g/Accord 2 doors
    thank you evry one!....and yes my brother and i thoug in put a new engine because the car are in good condition and can last a couple of year more....

Vehicle
    Accord 88 LXi Coupe

Talking

Honda3G what did you do with your ES motor and all the parts. The intake manifold for your carb looks alot different than the ones issued with 2G Accords in the US. Did you buy your Accord in Dominican Republic or have it imported? I thought for sure it would be a RHD car. Don't you guys drive on the left side down there? By the way great work! How long did that take you to do and what kind of budget did you have including the JDM B20? Hmmm so many questions. I'm only asking cause I'm working with a rebuild A20A3 swap into my 84' Hatchback. PM me I want to exchange some photos and info.

"The Future is Unwritten" -Strummer

"speed costs money, so gaffer tape and cable ties will suffice"-Peasant Tuning

DX User
    Vehicle
    1985/2g/Accord 2 doors
    Quote Originally Posted by phrenology
    Honda3G what did you do with your ES motor and all the parts. The intake manifold for your carb looks alot different than the ones issued with 2G Accords in the US. Did you buy your Accord in Dominican Republic or have it imported? I thought for sure it would be a RHD car. Don't you guys drive on the left side down there? By the way great work! How long did that take you to do and what kind of budget did you have including the JDM B20? Hmmm so many questions. I'm only asking cause I'm working with a rebuild A20A3 swap into my 84' Hatchback. PM me I want to exchange some photos and info.

Well, here in my country are JDm style market so the intake manifold are fron a jdm a20 and the carb for a civic coupe 87, all the other part of the my old engine are packet for my next project civic cvcc es2 dual mikuni (smile fron my libs) by the way the old engine was doing 16.0 1/4 mile with the car a lot of work are in that engine headers, spring, cluch, adj cam gear custom make, the traany have zc gears 1th, 2th, 3th, 4th, 5th stock. Here we drive to the left like USDM.

the swaps take a 4 days put the engine on the engine bay, and a week to firing up ( alot o think happend men a lot...)
    Last edited by Honda3G; 06-15-2005 at 08:02 AM.

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    awesome project!
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

Vehicle
    1989 honda accord Lx ( cheeseburger mobile) 1989 honda accord Lx-i ole blue
    thats one sexy beast man good job

Vehicle
    1989 accord ex
    wish i knew what i was doing id love to put a b20 in the accord nice work dude

SEi User
    Vehicle
    swifts/sprints boosted
    Holy shit, props for the mad work man!

SEi User
    Vehicle
    86 Accord LX -EFI OBD1 Turbo, 2006 Ram 1500
    Looks Great!

Pgm-fi conversion 4-16-05
    OBD1 11-25-06
    Turbo 2-26-07
    Tuned with eCtune 239whp 237wtq

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Prelude 2.0Si-T
    mad props to you man. btw the car looks great
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

DX User
    Vehicle
    1985/2g/Accord 2 doors
    Thank Yopu every one for your commens and suport

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX
    Great car.

If you want to get rid of the VSS code, you will need an acutal VSS. I'm sure that the 85 Accord SE-i gauge cluster has a VSS you could use in the gauge cluster (the Accors SE-i was fuel injected in North America). You might be able to swap parts inside the gauge cluster from a 3G accord or something similar.

Did the car have a cruise control? The Cruise control has a VSS input to maintain the speed. I'm sure that the 2G Accord has a vss in the gauge gluster somewhere.

For the EGR code, It seems from the pictures that you are missing the EGR solenoid and EGR control valve. This is needed for proper EGR function.

Oh, and yes, the RPM cutoff is not at 7200 with the PK2 ECU

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

Vehicle
    Accord 88 LXi Coupe

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by carotman
    Great car.

If you want to get rid of the VSS code, you will need an acutal VSS. I'm sure that the 85 Accord SE-i gauge cluster has a VSS you could use in the gauge cluster (the Accors SE-i was fuel injected in North America). You might be able to swap parts inside the gauge cluster from a 3G accord or something similar.

The last resort would be to make your own vss with a proximity sensor hehe. However, I'm sure you can find everything you need on the Accord SE-i

For the EGR code, It seems from the pictures that you are missing the EGR solenoid and EGR control valve. This is needed for proper EGR function.

His car is not an Se-i. I discussed it with him. The only 85 Se-i came in sedans with leather interior, 13" alloys, no rear discs and the ES3 EFI engine with something like 101 hp. There were no Se-i hatches in 1985 to best of my knowledge and real 85 Se-i's are rarer than the beef at McDonalds. I saw one in the Junkyard and sniped the seats then it disappeared ES3 and all never even got time to tinker with that primative EFI set up, at least it was multi-port. Glad I got those leather seats.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1985/2g/Accord 2 doors

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by carotman
    Great car.

Did the car have a cruise control? The Cruise control has a VSS input to maintain the speed. I'm sure that the 2G Accord has a vss in the gauge gluster somewhere.

thanks carotman, no the car dons´t have cruise control i´m alredy swap a vss fron accord 88-89 the is located in the tranny do a hole in the uper cover and driiler the magnetic spinled and soldering to main cable and !bowla! i have my vss working with my old cluster and no vss code

the erg its rigth the control solenoide was off i put it in and its fine now
    the car are free code now

i got a field SFC-Hyper-R connected to the car and the rpm cutoff was at 7200 wen the car limit the rpm are off 10% fron my rpm cluster but fron the fiel is directing fron the ig signal so i think there no be a mistake on it i wan realy know the cutoff rpm fron that engine with the pk2 ....?

later
    -Honda3g

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX
    Quote Originally Posted by Honda3G
    thanks carotman, no the car dons´t have cruise control i´m alredy swap a vss fron accord 88-89 the is located in the tranny do a hole in the uper cover and driiler the magnetic spinled and soldering to main cable and !bowla! i have my vss working with my old cluster and no vss code

the erg its rigth the control solenoide was off i put it in and its fine now
    the car are free code now

i got a field SFC-Hyper-R connected to the car and the rpm cutoff was at 7200 wen the car limit the rpm are off 10% fron my rpm cluster but fron the fiel is directing fron the ig signal so i think there no be a mistake on it i wan realy know the cutoff rpm fron that engine with the pk2 ....?

later
    -Honda3g
    Oh sorry, I make a typo in my post. It should have been: The RPM cutoff is now at 7200 (instead of not at 7200)

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

Vehicle
    1989 LXI Coupe Kswap, 1989 LXI Bswap
    super clean hatch
    hatch > all
    nice work
    Style Quality Uniqueness And Design
    S.Q.U.A.D. Engineering
    www.squadengineering.com

http://www.facebook.com/squadengineering

SEi User

2g B20a

Nice well done don't see that everyday!!
    Looks like he allready had a A20 conversion in the car before doing the B20A swap, All he needs now is some ITB's or Turbo then he'll be motoring!! Strange the A20 axle fitted? Would have thought the lengths and splines were different, especailly as the 2G accord shafts were different to the 3G A20 ones as well? another mystery looks like Honda were a little more generic than we thought!!

Vehicle
    Accord 88 LXi Coupe

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by rjudgey
    Nice well done don't see that everyday!!
    Looks like he allready had a A20 conversion in the car before doing the B20A swap, All he needs now is some ITB's or Turbo then he'll be motoring!! Strange the A20 axle fitted? Would have thought the lengths and splines were different, especailly as the 2G accord shafts were different to the 3G A20 ones as well? another mystery looks like Honda were a little more generic than we thought!!
    Naw I asked him, he went right from the stock carbed ES2 to JDM B20. He had to make custom return fuel lines for the EFI. He used the ECU from a 3G Prelude. He had to make custom fit shafts too. Its not a direct drop in except for the mounts and he had to modify the tranny mount. Trust me if I had access to a JDM B20 and more time I would do the work to make it happen in my 84 hatch, knowing that you don't need custom motor mounts. But the EFI conversion is really a pain when you are using a car that never had a factory EFI option (except the 85 Se-i). But I agree ITBs or Weber(esque) carbs would really bring out the beast in a NA JDM B20.