Thread: carb and efi transmissions

SEi User
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord POS tranny

carb and efi transmissions

i heard there is a different gear ratio between the carb and efi transmissions, is this true?

and if it is, how is it different? would i have to keep the revs higher if i use a carb transmission in a efi car?

just want to know since i plan to do it soon because my transmission is about to go BANG sometime soon

also want to know if any transmission from any other car would work in it(ie a prelude transmission)
    Last edited by newaccorddriver; 06-16-2005 at 06:46 PM.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box
    the final drive ratio is different, and in the auto trans, the EFI car has a higher stall torque converter

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation
    actually i think its the other way around sky... the carb car has the higher stall...
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box
    i'll have to check that in my USDM repair manual. i remember different numbers than what's in the EDM models

SEi User
    Vehicle
    my friend says that i can bolt on a prelude transmission onto my accord but the problem is the gear ratios would make it so i have to be in extremely high revs in the highway, can anyone confirm this?

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box
    yup, he's right. you can put the 5th gear from the accord in there and you can still have your overdrive 5th gear

SEi User
    Vehicle
    interesting... now if only i can find a good condition prelude transmission and accord transmission and splice them together... then i can finally swap out my dying automatic transmission

DX User
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX-i Hatchback

Question

Can anyone clarify this a bit? I too am wondering about the differences in auto trannies between an EFI car and a non-EFI car. I'll be heading off to the salvage yard tomorrow to get another tranny for my LX-i and I'd like to know how selective I need to be. For instance, if I luck out and find a low mileage trasnmission, but it's from a carbed car, will it still work in my EFI? And if there's a ratio difference between carbed and EFI trannies, which is geared lower? I don't plan on ever racing my hatch or anything so I'll gladly lose some acceleration for better MPG Also, if the tranny is from a car without power steering, will the speed sensor unit for the power assist from my car still work or am I limited to trannies from cars with power steering?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!
    "To make the Merry-Go-Round go faster, so that everyone needs to hang on tighter, just to keep from being thrown to the wolves." -TMBG

SEi User
    Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryouga
    Can anyone clarify this a bit? I too am wondering about the differences in auto trannies between an EFI car and a non-EFI car. I'll be heading off to the salvage yard tomorrow to get another tranny for my LX-i and I'd like to know how selective I need to be. For instance, if I luck out and find a low mileage trasnmission, but it's from a carbed car, will it still work in my EFI? And if there's a ratio difference between carbed and EFI trannies, which is geared lower? I don't plan on ever racing my hatch or anything so I'll gladly lose some acceleration for better MPG Also, if the tranny is from a car without power steering, will the speed sensor unit for the power assist from my car still work or am I limited to trannies from cars with power steering?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!
    i would say that any tranny should do the trick, if you find a tranny with low milage its worth sacrificing a few mpgs just to know u have a low milage transmission. other trannys would work on the accords as well, like the prelude transmissions, but i would recommend staying away from those as you will get much worst mpg.

as for the power steering thing, i think all accords came with power steering

Vehicle
    all USDM accords came with PS. Some canadian and EDM and JDM cars have manual steering

SEi User
    Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter
    all USDM accords came with PS. Some canadian and EDM and JDM cars have manual steering

surprising to say the least, i would have expected power steering in all north american models, but i guess im wrong... thanks for pointing tha out though, i never knew that fact

Vehicle
    you can swap in a manual rack if you can find one

DX User
    Vehicle
    Ok so the speed sensor isn't an issue. I'd love to put in a manual rack (I dislike power steering almost as much as I do autos ) but I'm only out to do the minmum to get my car back on the road. Besides, it's not too bad driving with the power steering belt removed.
    So now I just need a concensus about the tranny. Is newaccorddriver correct in that most any auto tranny will work? Anyone out there who REALLY knows their autos?
    "To make the Merry-Go-Round go faster, so that everyone needs to hang on tighter, just to keep from being thrown to the wolves." -TMBG

SEi User
    Vehicle
    back in 1986 honda introduced fuel injection in their accord, and also fuel injection in the prelude as well. the thing is, they used the exact same engine(block and all) and the same flywheel(or flexplate). the main difference between the 2 cars were mostly the transmissions. the prelude one was tuned for sportyness hence the higher rpms in the highway(my friend said it revved at about 4000rpm when he had his 86 prelude). the accord one was probably tuned for fuel economy and was slightly detuned from being sporty, so it will rev less on the highway. either way their practically the same transmissions.

DX User
    Vehicle
    Well, I'm already feeling better about my options when I head out there tomorrow.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX Hatchbacik
    Im running a carb tranny with efi, runs just fine.

DX User
    I'm not sure about other years, but my 1988 Accord manual says that the automatic EFI and the carb models have the same gear ratios and the same final ratio. There is a different final ratio in the manual transmissions but the automatics look to be identical!

DX User
    Vehicle
    Thanks for all the input guys!