Thread: Full Coil-overs. Why not?!?!

LXi User

Full Coil-overs. Why not?!?!

Hey guys. I know that we don't have any options for full coil-overs not the sleeve type. But my question is why won't other cars coil-overs work? I've got a friend that owns an air suspension shop and he can literally put bags on anything provided he has enough cash. I told him about my perdicament and he said that theirs no reason why id shouldn't work. It would just take some work and fabrication. So my question to all of you is why won't it work? What is preventing us from using say a 90-93 teg full coil-over? Thanks and hopefully the guys that tried it and found it didn't work will be able to put some imput into this thread.
    For Sale:
    T3/T4 Turbo, wastegate, and BOV
    P75 ECU
    Untouched Head

Port & Polished, 5-angle valve job, bowl and swirl job, Head -$1000 invested in machining alone

Misc.
    DDR Pad and DDR Extreme
    PS1
    NES
    Needed:
    Dremel
    Money

Vehicle
    1988 EX-i 4dr, 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 2006 TSX
    Reason being that full bodied coilovers are expensive, and most people on here probably dont have the tools or skills to make the mods needed themselves, and paying someone to do so would cost a fortune.

Vehicle
    93 civic
    go try out the EF civic coilovers. I know those will be the closest for our cars. The only problem is the front most likely will need brake line holders as well as new top hats for our strut mounts.

Vehicle
    88 Yota/ 62 Nova/ 06 Yamaha R1
    I all ready figured this out......... https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?...t=civic+shocks
    the rear are a little short the the front's are taller with the civic/teg. The 4g/5g accord is the best fit but still too tall in the front. Right now NXracer is using Civic Si shocks in the rear but his hatch is slamed to the ground.
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

Vehicle
    1989 accord ex
    wow sounds like a lot of work but i bet would look so sweet

SEi User
    Vehicle
    swifts/sprints boosted
    Would there be much of a performance increase over a good set of springs and struts?

Vehicle
    The main benifit is the adjustability factor... I good set of full bodied coilovers lets you adjust compression and rebound, and you get the height adjustability like coilover sleeves without the shitty ass ride. The springs and shocks are also designed to work together unlike most spring/shock assemblies.

I would think that 4th/5th gen accord coilovers would probably be the closest, but the fact the they are probably a fair bit taller would make things complicated.

LXi User
    Quote Originally Posted by Hash_man_Se_i
    The main benifit is the adjustability factor... I good set of full bodied coilovers lets you adjust compression and rebound, and you get the height adjustability like coilover sleeves without the shitty ass ride. The springs and shocks are also designed to work together unlike most spring/shock assemblies.
    Exactly. That's why I was asking. Justin are you rolling on full bodied CO's?
    For Sale:
    P75 ECU
    Untouched Head

Port & Polished, 5-angle valve job, bowl and swirl job, Head -$1000 invested in machining alone

Misc.
    DDR Pad and DDR Extreme
    PS1
    NES
    Needed:
    Dremel
    Money

Vehicle
    I'm pretty happy with my current Koni reds with Eibach coils. But once I get more money I will go to a full coilover set up or at least get some 5 way adjustable shocks from the 4/5g accord.
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

Vehicle
    93 civic
    justin if you got the time you should try out the civic of 89-91 coilovers.

LXi User
    Quote Originally Posted by Busted_Blue
    justin if you got the time you should try out the civic of 89-91 coilovers.
    When someone says you should try it out how do they get the part? Like are they expected to go buy it just hoping it will work? Or is there a place to get sponsered and what not? Just wondering. Kinda off topic.
    For Sale:
    P75 ECU
    Untouched Head

Misc.
    DDR Pad and DDR Extreme
    PS1
    NES
    Needed:
    Dremel
    Money

Vehicle
    93 civic
    Quote Originally Posted by w00tw00t111
    When someone says you should try it out how do they get the part? Like are they expected to go buy it just hoping it will work? Or is there a place to get sponsered and what not? Just wondering. Kinda off topic.

lol... just that justin is the only person willing to try out suspension things. I dont expect him to but its always worth a shot.

Vehicle
    shit I'm the one that need a sponser, or a rich grandmother.
    I can't remember what I found on the 89-91 civic but I know for sure the coils would be designed for a car that weight 500lbs less.

Vehicle
    93 civic
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin86
    shit I'm the one that need a sponser, or a rich grandmother.
    I can't remember what I found on the 89-91 civic but I know for sure the coils would be designed for a car that weight 500lbs less.

The only suspension full bodied I would look at at this point would be Omnipowers. Since ALL the spring rates are identical across the board for each honda whether it is an integra, civic of all years it is either 10k 8k or 12k 10k for the car. The 12k and 10k spring rates are amazingly stiff for the CRX and the exact same setup for my friend's 95 integra with 12 and 10k feel much more refined.

Perhaps i'll try it out once I get more funds...we'll see

Vehicle
    1988 honda accord lx-i
    carsponsorships.com--check 'em out
    Check out my family site: mysite.verizon.net/vze8kudg

LXi User
    Quote Originally Posted by geesnow
    carsponsorships.com--check 'em out
    I've heard of them in magazines. Are they legit? Have you ever used them?
    For Sale:
    P75 ECU
    Untouched Head

Misc.
    DDR Pad and DDR Extreme
    PS1
    NES
    Needed:
    Dremel
    Money

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord SE-i Coupe
    they sound legit, but they demand a credit card number......so id guess u pay them before anything goes down
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage
    Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter View Post
    its better to be retarded than advanced

Vehicle
    well long as you have choices for spring rates. thats the one thing I don't like aout most of the companies and the rate they do come with will just give our car more understeer. Mostly cause we can't get larger rear sway bars to make up for the difference.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i
    doesn't someone on the board have full bodied low boyz coilovers. and isn't there than one foren company that will make a custom set for anyone with 2500 in there pocket. I would gladly spend that if I had it just to get a full bodied set.
    my car is stock it just likes sittn lower to the ground than most cars:
    Lowes 3" CAI W/filter, hackd off mufflar, MSD Blaster 2 coil and bosch Platinum spark plugs&wires...she roars all the way to 6K

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i
    I E-mailed Omnipower a week ago and asked them if they would possibly make a custom set for the Accord and they said no, none will be made at this time. if I can find someone to do it for less than say 1600 Ill gladly give them everything they need for a set of fullbodieds

sorry to post whore but has anyone tried contacting Ground Control about this subject they alredy make sleve coilovers for our cars so whats all stoping them from makin a full bodied set they do it for mustangs and civics alredy so it can't be impossible.
    Lowes 3" CAI W/filter, hackd off mufflar, MSD Blaster 2 coil and bosch Platinum spark plugs&wires...she roars all the way to 6K

Vehicle
    1989 240sx FB,
    yeah, DXHATCHBACK had the lowboyz, though I think he sold them (maybe to someone else on the board?). Truetune; you're clearly the exception on 3geez willing to spend 1500ish just for suspension--honestly hope you can find someone to work it all out for you. Realistically, there's not enough of a market for a full bodied coilovers considering it would be a huuuge stretch to get more than 50 (or even 50) people from here to buy them.

Alex

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord SE-i Coupe
    20 if we are extremely lucky

not to rag on 3geez, but most of our members (myself included) are dead ass broke

i have a job and am broke......lol
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage
    Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter View Post
    its better to be retarded than advanced

Vehicle
    Lol... im somewhat broke... but would be willing to spend the money on some teins or jics.... Ive strongly been considering buying some for a 4th gen accord and trying to make them work.

Worse comes to worse, it wont happen and i lose a couple hundred selling them, but at least id have tried

Vehicle
    thats a lot of money, you could just but a set and pay someone to make them work for cheaper. It took me a couple hours to adapt a set of civic shocks.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i
    I just want a good set up for my accord, and why not go for the best possible. I don't see myself getting a diffrent car for a long time so gota try and get the most out of it.