Thread: 1987 Honda Accord problems

DX User

1987 Honda Accord problems

I have an 87 accord lx with a 2000 cc KA carbureted engine and about 125k miles on it. I am having trouble with it starting for me, and randomly shutting down on me every once and a while. One time was while driving at about 40mph, the idle just dropped and the engine stopped running, everything else worked fine. Another was while starting it after an event that went about 4 hours, it started and then just died off; when I went back to pick it up, it didn’t start and I played with the fuse board a little it started and ran fine. I looked on other forums and they seemed to suggest that the main relay connections were bad. I tried to locate the main relay and check the soldered connections, but I don’t think there is one. I am curious if the lx version has one at all. I just replaced the fuel pump and both fuel filters within the past month or so, and I seem to be getting no gas to the carburetor. i just contacted the local honda repair garage and they said it could be the fuel pump cut-off relay, so i found a new one online and ordered it.

Vehicle
    1987 Accord Lxi 4door
    On my lxi it was on the drivers side, under the dash. I had to reach way up with socket and wrench to remove the main relay (small black plastic box with fairly large connector running into it. There is a link on the board to a guide on how to fix it. I could not find it so I had the page backed up on my harddrive and here is a link to download it http://s36.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1...60515Z4TMJKR2I

Just unpack the rar file and click on the .htm file to view
    And yes I had idle/stall problems as well as starting issues and resoldering all the connections on the main relay fixed this.

Hope this helps
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by chello
    I have an 87 accord lx with a 2000 cc KA carbureted engine and about 125k miles on it. I am having trouble with it starting for me, and randomly shutting down on me every once and a while. One time was while driving at about 40mph, the idle just dropped and the engine stopped running, everything else worked fine. Another was while starting it after an event that went about 4 hours, it started and then just died off; when I went back to pick it up, it didn’t start and I played with the fuse board a little it started and ran fine. I looked on other forums and they seemed to suggest that the main relay connections were bad. I tried to locate the main relay and check the soldered connections, but I don’t think there is one. I am curious if the lx version has one at all. I just replaced the fuel pump and both fuel filters within the past month or so, and I seem to be getting no gas to the carburetor. i just contacted the local honda repair garage and they said it could be the fuel pump cut-off relay, so i found a new one online and ordered it.
    "I know noooooothing"

Vehicle
    2004 Pilot EXL-NAV, 2010 Acura TL, 2013 Accord Coupe V6 Nav/Sat
    The LX is not fuel injected. The LXi is. My be a very different problem. Could be your ignition switch is failing. You may need to replace the switch block on the back of the ignition switch.

sounds like the ignition switch problem to me (the electrical part behind the tumbler)
    Eric
    3geez member since October 12, 2000
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau