Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Speaker Size

Banned

Re: Speaker Size

K, the fronts are DEFINITELY 5.25s on my 89 LX. I had put some DUAL 6.5s in, and they sorta fit, but then I got a deal on some PYLE 6.5s, which are actually really 6.5", and they don't fit AT ALL.

PS: WHY THE FUCK ARE SPEAKER SIZES NOT FUCKING STANDARD!!!!??!?!?!?! ARgh. I hate modifiying all this crap and trying to get it to fit 'really nice'. ARGH>!

Vehicle
    88 lx sedan (R.I.P.) / 89 LX sedan(sold) / 89 lxi parts car(towed away) / 87 lxi hatch

well the stock speaker no matter what is a 6.5" / 6" f i had to modify for a 5 1/4"
    polk db set i have and mtx 5 1/4" set thats in my 89

Banned

no dude, measure your basket. 6.5" is bigger than what the basket can accept.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin
    no dude, measure your basket. 6.5" is bigger than what the basket can accept.

i have 6.5 inch kicker speakers in the front...only had to cut a lil bit of the back part out. and it fit fine.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    88 lx sedan (R.I.P.) / 89 LX sedan(sold) / 89 lxi parts car(towed away) / 87 lxi hatch

Quote Originally Posted by MessyHonda
    i have 6.5 inch kicker speakers in the front...only had to cut a lil bit of the back part out. and it fit fine.
    oh ya i have put 6.5 in a 3g hmmmmm i thought they fit lol

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Quote Originally Posted by ghettogeddy
    oh ya i have put 6.5 in a 3g hmmmmm i thought they fit lol

yeah they did fit remember...perfect but you still had to cut the back part of the plastic to clear the wires for the speaker.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by MessyHonda
    yeah they did fit remember...perfect but you still had to cut the back part of the plastic to clear the wires for the speaker.
    yup

Banned

If you measure from the edge of the speaker to another, and it's actually 6.5", there is NO WAY it will bolt into the stock basket, because the holes of the stock basket would require drilling straight into the suspension of the speaker itself.

Vehicle

If you measure from the edge of the speaker to another, and it's actually 6.5", there is NO WAY it will bolt into the stock basket, because the holes of the stock basket would require drilling straight into the suspension of the speaker itself.
    its not about the out side measurements but the basket measurements if the basket will fit in the stock bracket then ur a.o.k ive dealt with plenty of 6.5 and 5 1/4 that had dif basket measurements remeber not all speakers are alike

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ghettogeddy
    remeber not all speakers are alike
    Hence my rant: They fucking SHOULD be. I can't believe this isn't standardized.

Vehicle
    97 Prelude, 97 Suzuki RF600R

Hence my rant: They fucking SHOULD be. I can't believe this isn't standardized.
    Because that would make things simple. These audio companies get a kick from annoying the piss out of us. As for Pyle, I've never had good luck with them, so I consider them to be just what their name says. I put alpine's in mine, before that it had pioneer's--both 6.5".

There's always a way to make the speaker fit, always. Don't forget that.
    Four cars (and one motorcycle) in three years and not one with a cupholder...this is the story of my life.

DX User
    Vehicle
    2005 Subaru Legacy Limited

i fit 6X9's in a 6" hole lol. Usually its the depth that throws people off. I would suggest saving a little to go for a good brand of speaker. 4 Alpine's can be had for $200 brand new.

Vehicle
    1987 Accord Si 2.0 manual + transient population of other cars lol

I had trouble with the rear mounting brackets too. Cant remember what size the rear speakers were but they were apparently the most uncommon size. Just got some pioneers and drilled some holes in the factory brackets. easy az.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 accord lx

So, If I am to understand you guys correctly, my new kicker 6.5's will only fit in my front doors of my 87 lx if i just (basically) hack away some of the back plastic housing?

Vehicle
    87 hatch lxi

i got 6x9s in my front doors and 6x9s in the back of my hatch. i tried to make an adaptor in thhe stock location in the back.but i didnt like it so i put thhe speakers in between thhe stock locations on the black cover piece and they sound alot better.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX

I gots some polk 6.5 in the front of my 88' accord and got some 6.5 Audiobahn in the back which look sick. But they're a little too deep so it won't fit perfect leaving like half an inch above the mounting haha. I'm just too lazy to cut the hole bigger.

i got a pair of 6.5 inch sony four ways up fornt and a sub in the back and thats it on my lxi. all the speakers were blown and i have been able to replace the rears yet

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX (first car gone doner after wreak) 1987 honda Accord lx (project)

when i bought my dx my back speakers were blown...at lest they sound realy airy and paper like....but i went to take a look and they are honda speakers...so unless the dealer way back in 88 decided to put the speakers in the dx then they are factory.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX (first car gone doner after wreak) 1987 honda Accord lx (project)

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...+D362.5i.html#

they ar 6.25
    these speakers fit in the back fittings on the 4 door dx ... they sound great...and they fit in the stock fittings no modification...they can get loud...with no distortion

Vehicle
    1987/Honda/Accord LX-i

i put a pioneer system in. stereo front and rear speakers (from wally world).
    800 watt phoenix gold 12 inch sub w/ band pass box in the trunk.
    power acoustik 400x2 amp.
    scoche amp wire kit w/ capacitor (from wally world)
    whole setup cost me about 400 bucks...sounds greeaat!
    (bandpass box makes the sub hit at least two times harder than the no-port box)

'89 lxi spectre intake

Vehicle

i woudl have went with a dif box myself and i think this is the wrong thread lol there shoudl be a post your system thread somewhere

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

I'm running polks in mine, On one of my 81's i ran the door speakers as midbase,then built kick panel enclosures for pioneer plate speakers, took the speakers off the plate, this was a much better setup then opposing door speakers ever were, the only reason they are in the doors like that are for easy of manufacturing, as far as sound stage it's a terrible idea. the small midrange and tweeters from the pioneers combines with the less directional midbass frequencies made an excellent soundstage.

Vehicle

same i have polk db 5.25 all around

Vehicle
    89 LX

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

these 5.25 front speakers are a little to large, they bounce off of my original speaker covers. Anyone know where I can get some after market grills? I want to replace the 130 watt Kenwoods I have in there now.

Vehicle

what do you mean bounce off are you screwing them in