Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speaker Size

Vehicle
    97 Prelude, 97 Suzuki RF600R

Exclamation Speaker Size

Alright, since no one seems to be able to discover the mysterious speaker size of our cars...

DX's-
    Front: 5.25" or shallow mount 6.5" speakers.
    Rear: None

LX's (Canada EX)-
    Front: 5.25" or shallow mount 6.5" speakers.
    Rear: 6.5" speakers

1986-1987 LXi's (Canada EXi)-
    Front: 5.25" or shallow mount 6.5" speakers

1988-1989 LXi's-
    Rear: 6x9" speakers

SEi's (Bose system)-
    Front: 3" speakers in a 6.5" mount, so 6.5" speakers will fit.
    Rear: 6x9" speakers

Hatchbacks-

In the front, most 6.5 speakers will require minor modification to the bracket and/or basket in order to fit properly without hindering the window track.

5.25" speakers will fit up front without modification.

The DX models are wired for speakers in the rear, however you would need to cut out the proper sized holes to drop speakers in.

If anyone has additions/corrections, feel free to post them.

~Andy
    Last edited by 88eyeguy; 07-20-2006 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Update
    Four cars (and one motorcycle) in three years and not one with a cupholder...this is the story of my life.

Vehicle
    1988 EX-i 4dr, 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 2006 TSX
    wooot someone makje this a sticky please... and I could be wrong, but the opening for my fronts in my sei are 6.5"... so placing a 5.25" would require an adapter plate/wooden moutn

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box
    the mounting flange for spekers in this car is spaced so that you will land somewhere on it with either size of speaker.

Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX
    Looks pretty good. You might just want to add that there are provided wires incase you ever wanted to throw in 6.5"s in the rear on the DX models. The only modification you need to do other then the straight install is cut the holes in the cardboard/carpet top. But the wires are definitely there for the install. And my 6.5" Infinities fit like a charm in the front, was a clean install with no modification as well. Just thought I'd throw that in, if it matters any.

That's got to be the cleanest living DX I've ever seen.
    -Strugglebucket
    Wow, that's absolutely amazing-that car does not look like it's 20 years old!
    -
    redaztec
    DAYUM!
    -
    2ndGenGuy
    ...it looks like it came out straight from japan.
    -
    MessyHonda

Vehicle
    '92 Toyota Paseo
    To further clarify, if you have an SE-i, the front speakers are 3" in a custom ported Bose enclosure. The normal "6.5 inch" baskets will fit there after you remove the Bose stuff, but you have to get one of those from another car. Also, all of the hatches used 6.5" speakers in the back. Additionally...

It depends how the manufacturer measures their "6.5 inch" speakers. I've had some cheap JVC "6.5 inch" speakers that were not actually 6.5". The openings in the Accord's front doors are NOT 6.5"... at least not the last time I measured them. They were 6.25" last time I measured mine, which was a year ago, as I no longer own the car.

To get my Adire Koda 6.5" speakers (I measured them, 6.5" from edge to edge) to fit I had to construct a baltic birch spacer ring; they were too wide for the stock mounting ring. However, like I mentioned, it depends how the manufacturer measures their speakers. Some fit fine, others require modification. Just don't freak out if things don't work perfectly right away.

The other thing to take into consideration is separation of the front and rear firing waves. You want to be as sure as you can that the speaker is SEALED OFF when you're mounting it. If you need to, use a strip of closed-cell weatherstripping around the mounting hole, so that the speaker is sealed off. Along the same train of thought, you also would benefit from sealing off all the holes in the inner door skin; all those access points allow rear-wave/front-wave interaction which reduces the amount of midbass you have.

And yet one more thing: if you can, put something like the Deflex pads behind the speaker, attached to the outer door skins with epoxy or glue or something. I personally use a small piece of egg-crate foam, treated with scotchguard to (hopefully) prevent mold from growing. These things reduce standing waves, which can adversely affect the sound the speakers are producing.

Any other questions, shoot me a PM.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Crx Dx Mini-Me
    i knew my hatch dx didn't have speakers back there!!! that stupid circuit city guy!!!!

yeah okay so are there holes i can look for (i really have the hatch full of my backseats and the shelves right now so i can't look till i get rid of em...

Well my fronts are like jensens and now i need to toss my rear seat and look for the wholes for some rear speakers cuz this is getting old, plus my cd player doesn't work and it resets the radio because whoever put it in didn't run a hotwire to it... if anybody has pix of their rear hatch speakers in stock location that would be greatly appreciated!

well i went over to the guys house who i bought the car off of and turns out he's got some 5 1/4" DUB's by audiobahn... they're 80watts... $50 ... i didn't buy em...haha but anyway they fit my rears perfect i found where the stock speakers go and sure enough the wires were already there... now i need to buy some loudass speakers and toss em back there...thanx for all the info!

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box
    while it did lack rear speakers, it did have the provisions for them.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1990 Dodge Grand Caravan SE
    I bought my DX with speakers already in the back, never knew they it didnt come with em, someone must have put them in because there are clarions in the front doors, I replaced the back ones with some lightning audios some time ago.

Vehicle
    A20A2 2bbl 5spd 1987 Accord LX hatchback

Re: Speaker Size

FYI, Crutchfield lists just about everything you'd need to know about what speakers and decks fit in what cars. Select your car's year, make, model, and body style, and it'll show you pretty much every brand and model that will go in there (they'll sell them to you as well, although you don't HAVE to buy from them).

They also sell wiring harnesses, adapter kits, etc.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

Wow the thread is magicly back on topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundy
    FYI, Crutchfield lists just about everything you'd need to know about what speakers and decks fit in what cars. Select your car's year, make, model, and body style, and it'll show you pretty much every brand and model that will go in there (they'll sell them to you as well, although you don't HAVE to buy from them).

They also sell wiring harnesses, adapter kits, etc.
    Good post, I think the other guy looking for the GL speakers should use that link.
    - llia

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX

Well just to add to the info, my Speakers are all 6" front and back. Not sure why. Pictures below.
    I got an 1988 Accord LX with auto Trans i don't know why mine are different size.

First Accord 88LX R.I.P 7-19-07 (Might be Jolted back to life at least temporarily)
    Seeking another but only with 5-speed I'm joining the Darkside
    89LX or SE-i(yeah right)

Vehicle

My 87 Accords have all had 6.5" stock speakers. From my experience, most Civics of the time came with 5.25", but would fit the same 6.5s as the Accords.

The stock 6.5s' mounting rings seem to be a little wider than most aftermarket speakers' though, and the cone and basket a little smaller and extremely shallow, and the mounting baskets (especially the door ones) are sized appropriately, which somewhat limits the aftermarket 6.5s that will fit without modification.

DX User
    Vehicle
    2005 Subaru Legacy Limited

I just did a set of alpine type s's in my 89 LXi. The 6 1/2 alpines up front were a little too deep to fit in the factory mounting brackets. When I took out the factory bracket they fell in a little too deep so the window would hit them. What i did was cut the backing out of the stock braket so the back of the speaker would fall through, but still mount far enough out so the window would open and close. I used the bracket that came with the speakers just so the holes would line up for install. The 6X9's in the rear dropped right in. Mounting this way up front allowed use of the factory speaker grills so everything is hidden and secure. For the two door coupes with more speaker room, the alpines sound great.

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 DX Hatchie

does anyone know if a set of alpine type r's 6.5 would fit in the front of my dx hatch? and would some type of modification be required? i didnt know if the type r's have different depth than the type s
    "The Original White" 88 DX Hatchback
    Mysterious Project Car

www.myspace.com/tunerplayground

You won't know what hit you

Vehicle
    Honda Accord's EXi #1 [A20a4] R.I.P & #2 [B20a2]

In the front. You know there is a plastic busket there? (black) for speaker. You can not place element with a good magnet, unless you cut out botom from thet busket. I did it.

Thet on the left is modified, on the right is original

Its prttey fnuny how you can raed tihs eintre snetnece with all tehse ellters out of palce...

My Build Thread

Vehicle

I hacked off the entire back of the basket and beveled the inner edge of the ring to fit a set of Quart separates in mine. You can fit just about anything that conforms to the 6.5" form factor in there, as long as it's not too deep. I used to have a set of JBL separates (or at least the woofers from them) that I wanted to put in, but the magnets hit the windows.

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

Quote Originally Posted by Tomisimo
    In the front. You know there is a plastic busket there? (black) for speaker. You can not place element with a good magnet, unless you cut out botom from thet busket. I did it.

wow u cut that really neet i just smashed a home in mine with a BFH

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Banned

Does anybody know the maximum mounting depth for the front door speakers of an 89 LX?

LX User
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord Lx-i

Quote Originally Posted by Tomisimo

If you happen to do this to your bracket then you need to place something behind the speaker that covers it and protects it from the elements. There's rust on the back of your speakers and it's because you didn't cover them.

Vehicle
    88 lx sedan (R.I.P.) / 89 LX sedan(sold) / 89 lxi parts car(towed away) / 87 lxi hatch

Quote Originally Posted by Hans
    If you happen to do this to your bracket then you need to place something behind the speaker that covers it and protects it from the elements. There's rust on the back of your speakers and it's because you didn't cover them.
    theres rust on the back of his speakers because he prolly found them somewhere also why would a slotted piece of plastic save it from the elements of your door lol

LX User
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord Lx-i

Quote Originally Posted by ghettogeddy
    theres rust on the back of his speakers because he prolly found them somewhere also why would a slotted piece of plastic save it from the elements of your door lol
    The plastic piece is slotted so that the speaker cone can move back and forth. When the cone on the speaker goes forward to make a sound, air must be able to get behind the cone to equalize the pressure around the speaker. If you look at the slots on the plastic piece you'll see that the slots are angled. This allows the air to get in, but keeps water off of the back of the speaker that leaks into the door.

Vehicle
    88 lx sedan (R.I.P.) / 89 LX sedan(sold) / 89 lxi parts car(towed away) / 87 lxi hatch

makes sense but its still gona get water on it i know mine haven't rusted yet and they have been in 2 dif cars scenes like 2004 maybe cause there coated with a paint like substance

Vehicle
    Honda Accord's EXi #1 [A20a4] R.I.P & #2 [B20a2]

Quote Originally Posted by Hans
    No man, thet rust is from ather car i take them off, at the J/Y.
    You dont need to cover the element, simply becouse of if You see closer at the bucket, You dont get thet much protection from humidety.

Its prttey fnuny how you can raed tihs eintre snetnece with all tehse ellters out of palce...

My Build Thread

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

even if thay do rust its not going to hurt them

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

DX User
    Vehicle
    2005 Subaru Legacy Limited

My door had a 2 inch wide hole in it... no rust when i pulled my speakers out lol.