Thread: Carb Intakes

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Talking Carb Intakes

has anyone else had luck with cold air intakes for the carb? it seems to have worked i picked up about 6 horsepower off the gtech when i got my system on i would like to know if anyone else has had luckwith this modification. i'm basically pulling air straight down from the back of the hood. the bottom side of the filter has a plate on it so it only pulls air in from the top of the filter. if i can help give anyone advice to fabricate up a system let me know.
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 07-02-2005 at 03:19 PM.

Vehicle
    Traded in: 1988 Accord LX New car: 04 Jetta GLI
    technically your just pulling hot air from the engine. I think you would need a scoop for the effect you want.
    Most people on here with carbs have pretty much given up on engine mods, because we dont have much to work with. All we really have is a goddamn civic air box that we still have to mod quite a bit just to get it to fit. Honestly, i just fliped my lid and called it a day. I know it isnt recomended, it pulls a bunch of hot air in, but its basically a short ram. There is way to much modification needed to get these carbs thing to run remotely fast. The only two people that ive seen with extensive modification are a20a1 and mike(the guy with the dual intake).
    IMO, the carbs are too much of a headache to mess with, thats why pretty much no one does anything to them.
    Kevin

SEi User
    Vehicle
    swifts/sprints boosted
    I took a short ram off a 2004 sunfire and fabbed it to make it work.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    More Civic Adapted Intakes

Other Intake Options
    Custom Adapter

Cut Air Box
    - llia

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

These are some old intake I made

- Cut Airbox

- Way too small of a filter

- Cold Air Snorkle
    Last edited by A20A1; 07-02-2005 at 05:59 PM.
    - llia

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

em

Here is my first adapter

Last edited by A20A1; 07-02-2005 at 06:01 PM.
    - llia

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

em

Here is my second adapter

Last edited by A20A1; 07-02-2005 at 06:03 PM.
    - llia

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    Here is my hoodscoop used both with the Keihin and Weber

Last edited by A20A1; 07-02-2005 at 06:04 PM.
    - llia

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    Did you look at my snorkle in post #7 and my weber hood scoop, those are sealed cold air intakes.
    Last edited by A20A1; 07-02-2005 at 06:07 PM.
    - llia

Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by 88accordalltheway
    technically your just pulling hot air from the engine. I think you would need a scoop for the effect you want.
    Most people on here with carbs have pretty much given up on engine mods, because we dont have much to work with. All we really have is a goddamn civic air box that we still have to mod quite a bit just to get it to fit. Honestly, i just fliped my lid and called it a day. I know it isnt recomended, it pulls a bunch of hot air in, but its basically a short ram. There is way to much modification needed to get these carbs thing to run remotely fast. The only two people that ive seen with extensive modification are a20a1 and mike(the guy with the dual intake).
    IMO, the carbs are too much of a headache to mess with, thats why pretty much no one does anything to them.
    i dohave a scoop the air cleaner fits into the scoop, i have the baffles off in the picture

Vehicle

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by cke
    I wanna see that paintjob though.

I see yellow and black checkers! woot.
    thats a camera artifact, it's a cheap camera. my paint job doesn't exist yet i'm still doing bodywork

Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by A20A1
    Did you look at my snorkle in post #7 and my weber hood scoop, those are sealed cold air intakes.
    mine does seal to the scoop i took the baffles off for the sake of the picture ai can only flow through the top half of the aircleaner and it normally seals to the scoop i use the stuff they make air baffles for aircraft engines out of

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    I was refering to cke's post.
    - llia

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    Well I didn't plan it that way... I just posted 4 times so I could reserve the space... I can only attatch 5 images per post.
    - llia

Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile
    has anyone else had luck with cold air intakes for the carb? it seems to have worked i picked up about 6 horsepower off the gtech when i got my system on i would like to know if anyone else has had luckwith this modification. i'm basically pulling air straight down from the back of the hood. the bottom side of the filter has a plate on it so it only pulls air in from the top of the filter. if i can help give anyone advice to fabricate up a system let me know.
    this is normally sealed to the scoop i figured i would take off the baffles for picture clarity. those aren't checkers in the picture thats a digital artifact. same thingthat makes my plug wires different colors.those plug wires are black . not multi colored

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    Whats with all the painted or annodized bits in your motor and what looks like a pressure gauge?

I found increasing the fuel flow and running a steady psi helps out a bunch... it could have been that my stock pump was weakening to begin with but still.
    - llia

Vehicle

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by A20A1
    Whats with all the painted or annodized bits in your motor and what looks like a pressure gauge?

I found increasing the fuel flow and running a steady psi helps out a bunch... it could have been that my stock pump was weakening to begin with but still.
    well i made all of the aluminum parts a lot of them are painted with that paint that makes them look anodized . what looks like a pressure gauge is for oil pressure. the stock threads on the oil pressure sender are 1/8bsp so i found an adaptor and ran a line to an oil pressure manifold on the firewall. it lets me keep a pressure switch for the light,run a line to the gauge in the car, and have a gauge for diagnostic use. i found a pressure switch from an mg that cuts on when the pressure drops to 7psi vs. 3psi for stock. the big piece that goes from the valve cover to the intake is just a brace. the purple thing that the fuel line comes from is a fuel log. is supposed to have a gauge but i need to get a new one. i've got a low pressure holley regulator on the motor the gold thing on the end of it is the sender for the digital fuel pressure gauge. some of the aluminum parts are for decoration such as the cover over the pcv valve. and the plate the regulator is mounted to. i had a heck of a time moving the valves around that control the mixture to fit the regulator in there. the piece with the breather on it is to provide filtered air to allof the valves that used to pull it from the old air cleaner. the bigpiece on the front of the valve cover is to space out the spark plug wires, i haven't painted it yet. the engine runs really well at about 3-4 psi. eveything as far as fuel from thefirewall forward is all an fittings. the line from the breather tube on the valve cover to the air cleaner is to keep negative pressure on the valve cover s originally designed. the pcv system on these cars is really good at keeping your sludge down in the motor so i wanted it to work as originally planned. some of the other pieces are clamps for the power steering lines, etc. lots of aluminum and stainless steel fasteners.
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 07-02-2005 at 07:05 PM.