Thread: Rear engine mount bracket and transmission

Vehicle
    1990/BMW/535iA

Rear engine mount bracket and transmission

Hello all!

I'm looking at replacing my clutch in the near future and need to know if the rear engine mount bracket is attached to the engine block and tranny or the transmission only. I am hoping that I can allow the engine to remain supported by the rear mount so that I wouldn't need to use a jack under it. This would be a great help in installing and lining up a new oil pan gasket. Thanks in advance.
    3axap.
    ------------------------------------------------

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    unfortunatly, the rear braket is connected to the tranny and the block at the same time.

this is what i did and it works just fine.
    remove the upper mount, make sure you have jack (with a board on the top of the jack so you don't smash the oil pan) under the engine. don't jack it up, just enough to support it.
    after you remove the top, remove the rear mount. trust me it is better this way. you will have to jack up the engine. put the jack some where near the rear mount. remove the braket. you will have to remove the bottom mount and cross member. it is in the way.
    after that you can lower your engine. since it is still supported by side and front mount, it won't go anywhere.
    the engine will tilt back and down and it will allow you to slide the tranny with out taking some suspension apart. plus it helps a lot when you put it back.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    1990/BMW/535iA
    Thanks for the reply Alex. I just had a good look at the rear mount and it does appear to be connected to the transmission and the block by three bolts. I'm not too keen on the idea of leaving the engine hanging by front and side mounts, so I'm thinking of removing the transmission and then reinserting the top long bolt through the mount and the hole in the block. Theoretically this should hold the engine up while I get clear access to the oil pan. Any thoughts on this idea? The bracket may pivot up a little because it is missing two lower bolts, but this should not cause any damage.
    3axap.

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    you can always support the engine with a jack. just make sure you don't crush the oil pan. i have seen that happen too many times. people just stick the jack under the oil pan and start jacking the car, make a dent and wholes. use wide board to distribute the pressure on the oil pan.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    1990/BMW/535iA
    Alex, what I'm trying to do is take the transmission off and then do the oil pan gasket. Since I'll be removing the flywheel, I'll have clear access to the side of the engine. My last attempt at changing the gasket ended up with a leak just below the crankshaft in the flywheel area. Without the flywheel in place, there is nothing there to interfere with correct placement of the gasket, which is what I think is the problem right now. Thanks for your input.
    3axap.