Thread: Amplifier Power Ratings

Vehicle
    2005 Civic LX Coupe

Amplifier Power Ratings

I am writing this thread in order that you'll understand power output ratings for amps. I will give some examples so that you'll be better informed when you go into the audio store, or purchase your amp off the web through Ebay and other sources. While working on consumer electronics, I saw many blown amps because people didn't understand how the ratings work.

First of all, if a two channel amp is said to be rated at 1000 watts @ 2 ohms, that means bridged/mono, into a 2 ohm speaker. The maximum power output to the speaker by that amp will indeed be 1000 watts. If you use the amp in two channel mode, into 2 ohm speakers, the maximum power output is cut in half, or 500 watts per channel.

The same thing applies to multi-channel amps. If you want the true power output of each channel, take the rated power and divide it by the number of channels. If you have a 1000 watt 4 channel amp, the actual power is 250 watts per channel into 2 ohms.

I have a Phoenix Gold ZX-475ti four channel amp running my fronts and rears. It is rated at 300 watts into 2 ohms, but the maximum power to each channel is 75 watts (hence the 475, or 4 x 75, which equals 300).

If you remember this principle, it will save you alot of grief, frustration, and possible costly repair bills.
    Last edited by Bobs89LXi; 05-05-2002 at 01:58 PM.

Vehicle
    2005 Civic LX Coupe

Amp Power Ratings

I am writing this thread in order that you'll understand power output ratings for amps. I will give some examples so that you'll be better informed when you go into the audio store, or purchase your amp off the web through Ebay and other sources. While working on consumer electronics, I saw many blown amps because people didn't understand how the ratings work.

First of all, if a two channel amp is said to be rated at 1000 watts @ 2 ohms, that means bridged/mono, into a 2 ohm speaker. The maximum power output to the speaker by that amp will indeed be 1000 watts. If you use the amp in two channel mode, into 2 ohm speakers, the maximum power output is cut in half, or 500 watts per channel.

The same thing applies to multi-channel amps. If you want the true power output of each channel, take the rated power and divide it by the number of channels. If you have a 1000 watt 4 channel amp, the actual power is 250 watts per channel into 2 ohms.

I have a Phoenix Gold ZX-475ti four channel amp running my fronts and rears. It is rated at 300 watts into 2 ohms, but the maximum power to each channel is 75 watts (hence the 475, or 4 x 75, which equals 300).

If you remember this principle, it will save you alot of grief, frustration, and possible costly repair bills.