Thread: OEM Fog light switch...not exactly

Vehicle
    1990/BMW/535iA

OEM Fog light switch...not exactly

So I got tired of my old $2 plain switch that I put in for my fog lights. So, now I have this:

Seeing how rare and expensive these switches are getting, I decided to find another way. What you are looking at is a converted Cruise Control switch. The new icon was patterned using pictures of the OEM foglight switch, and painted in such a manner that it shines just like the OEM green back-lighting. I'm intending to install a light filter for the little indicator in the top portion so that it doesn't shine green like the cruise control switch.

For comparison, here is a picture of the OEM switch from Vinny's coupe:

If anyone is interested in a how-to article, I'm willing to write the procedure out. Tell me what you think.
    3axap.
    ------------------------------------------------

Vehicle
    93 civic
    WRITE ONE NOW, i want to do this.

Vehicle
    89 Lx-i
    odd, my oem switch isn't backlit
    Chris

click the car to see my picture archives

Vehicle
    1990/BMW/535iA
    I knew Busted would jump all over this. I'll try to put the how-to together as soon as I get some time. I'll even include the template I designed in Photoshop. I don't know if the switch is supposed to be back-lit, but mine will be. I'd check to see if there is a light bulb in the switch. They are notorious for burning out or not making good contact.
    3axap.

Vehicle
    93 civic
    Quote Originally Posted by '89AccordLX(Rus)
    I knew Busted would jump all over this. I'll try to put the how-to together as soon as I get some time. I'll even include the template I designed in Photoshop. I don't know if the switch is supposed to be back-lit, but mine will be. I'd check to see if there is a light bulb in the switch. They are notorious for burning out or not making good contact.

I know that the light bulb only lights up the green light and that is about it for mine. The cruise control doesn't light up.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    you installed it wrong...
    - llia

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    89 LXi Sedan (sold) - Car free now, with hella bikes
    ^

nice job on the button.. looks pimp style. i was thinking of doing something similar if/when i get fogs. your fog light image looks slightly different from the oem pic you showed.. the oem image looks like it has only one curve for the back of the light while yours is made of two curves placed at an angle, which kinda gives it that ramen bowl look lol
    Last edited by frantik; 07-26-2005 at 08:44 PM.

Vehicle
    1990/BMW/535iA
    For the record, the cruise control DOES light up. Check those bulbs. And the template isn't perfect, I realize that. However, that was my first attempt at dealing with Adobe Illustrator and making images in vector form. I'm sure I could fix that eventually and make it look more rounded. And A20A1, you can put the image there any way you want it, so if you are really into bowls of steaming ramen noodles, its only a matter of rotating the template 90 degrees before painting .
    3axap.

Vehicle
    89 Lx-i
    there are two bulbs in the switches.. one bulb has a green or orange condom on it and it shines into a plate of plexiglass (the "on" switch light), and the other bulb is a backlight. the display squares have their text icons and are coated with bluish paint to cause the thing to look green when backlit.

when i messed up my cruise control light, i took all the paint off. anyone want a 1cm x 1cm piece of plastic?!
    Chris

click the car to see my picture archives

LXi User
    Hahaha
    condom
    That is pretty cool seeing as though the real deal is so expensive. But, everybody look out for these being made by OBX and sold on eBay as the real deal. >(
    For Sale:
    T3/T4 Turbo, wastegate, and BOV
    P75 ECU
    Untouched Head

Port & Polished, 5-angle valve job, bowl and swirl job, Head -$1000 invested in machining alone

Misc.
    DDR Pad and DDR Extreme
    PS1
    NES
    Needed:
    Dremel
    Money

Vehicle
    1990/BMW/535iA
    To make the ON-indicator shine a different color I took the indicator bulb out of the rear window defrost switch and swapped it in instead of the cruise control green bulb. They are the same size and type, so it was a piece of cake. I also just scored a set of OEM wind deflectors for the windows. More OEM fun
    3axap.

Vehicle
    93 civic
    Quote Originally Posted by '89AccordLX(Rus)
    To make the ON-indicator shine a different color I took the indicator bulb out of the rear window defrost switch and swapped it in instead of the cruise control green bulb. They are the same size and type, so it was a piece of cake. I also just scored a set of OEM wind deflectors for the windows. More OEM fun

yay for oem visors!

i'll be waiting for this how to..since im too lazy to pry open a cruise control myself.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    89 LXi Sedan (sold) - Car free now, with hella bikes
    bastard! oem vent shades are #1 on my want list right now but i never see them available

Vehicle
    1990/BMW/535iA
    More pictures of the switch:

And the vent shades were found by accident on the same SEi that I yanked rear brakes off of as well as a few other items Three are in perfect condition, one has a crack in it (taking them off is a bitch! I cracked this one and wanted to kick myself in the nuts for not being careful enough. ) But its fixable, just gotta put some glue on there, polish them up and put them on Pictures of those will be up once I fix them up.
    3axap.

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar
    Quote Originally Posted by Busted_Blue
    I know that the light bulb only lights up the green light and that is about it for mine. The cruise control doesn't light up.
    I took out all thos bulb holders and soldered in 12v micro bulbs, now all my switches light up

Accord of the Year - 2007

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord, CRV B20 swap.
    That switch looks great all it needs is to make the lines a little thinner and round the back of the light a little more then it would look perfect. I would also like to see the how to so I can make a custom one for my radar (I hard wired it to my cruise switch since it dosent work anyway ). Good work
    Complete repair manual <---- (click here)

Vehicle
    I'm glad someone finally figured out that cruise switch looks just like a jdm fog light switch. i was going to do that but alll my switch locations are filled
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 07-31-2005 at 11:41 PM.

Vehicle
    87 Accord LX
    Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile
    I'm glad someone finally figured out that cruise switch looks just like a jdm fog light switch. i was going to do that but alll my switch locations are filled.
    Did you hook-up the highbeam to the push switch instead of the combi-switch?
    Rooz
    That's my other "car" on the avatar, my Dash-8

Vehicle
    Traded in: 1988 Accord LX New car: 04 Jetta GLI
    whatd u do to make the light orange? Good work.
    I have some vent shades, but i dont think their oem(they might be). Ill get some pics later, cause i think i want to sell them.
    Kevin

Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by SiR
    Did you hook-up the highbeam to the push switch instead of the combi-switch?
    that is the master switch for the fog/driving lamps. the fogs switch on under low beam and the driving lamps switch on for high beam. it's automatic, that switch turns the system on and off. the green emblem is for the fogs it's right above the high beam emblem. i'm thinking of changing the cruise control emblem in the instrument cluster,and the switch to -auto pilot i've already got an altimeter,and other aircraft switches,why not?
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 08-02-2005 at 03:51 PM.