Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Discussion , Non-traditional Remote Mounted Turbo Systems

Vehicle
    a 93 z34 that's getting parted out, an 86 accord lx that now lives in a j/y, and a 90 camry le that the state no longer allows me to drive. soon to be replaced with an aprilia rs50 or a derbi gpr.

Exclamation Discussion , Non-traditional Remote Mounted Turbo Systems

The first few posts are a little off topic, read on to get to the parts about remote turbo systems.

Quote Originally Posted by toastyghost

One great way to increase your performance is with 800-lb chrome wheels.
    Seriously though here's a few ideas:
    If you're going to have to custom jimmy-rig an intake you might as well make it a cold air intake instead of short ram. The performance gains are nominal with either but CAI is a little better because it extends to the wheel well or behind the headlight where it can get cool outside air instead of hot engine bay air.
    The Pacesetter headers themselves are ok from what I've heard. The only complaints I've read about them were that the thermal coat peels and consequently performance gain starts degrading. That's not a major problem, just get Wal-mart paint stripper spray.. I forget exactly what it is, search the board for "wal-mart" or something to find the thread. Use the stripper to take the black coating off (cheap Pacesetters on NOPI) then spray your own high-temp thermal coating on them.
    Someone was talking about they were running a 30 shot of nitrous with a cheap kit they found.. which would be ok except they were advancing their timing when they should have been retarding it. So ask that dude where he got his NAWZ kit (again use search to figure out who the fuck that is, I'd do it for you but I'm lazy). Then if you're going to use it I think they said retard ignition 1 degree.. this prevents the NAWZ from detonating and hurting the engine.
    Hmm.. cheap performance...
    Oh yeah, another thing you might want to look into is possibly making a "junkyard dog" turbo kit out of parts from salvage cars. The old Saab 900 T should have a lot of what you need to do this. You'll want to get the turbo itself, the coolant feed/return lines and the oil pan tap piece, and probably can use the downpipe and flange from the intake manifold. The flange will have to be broken and re-welded to a custom manifold. I was reading somewhere that a dude built a low-boost turbo kit good for maybe 80 hp (?) or so on a budget of about 600 bucks, by hitting his local salvage yards. Gains = 80 on stock internals, pretty damn sweet if you ask me.
    That's all I can think of at the moment.
    Good luck! Smoke dem damn Eclipses!!

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 4dr Lx-i
    Speaking of turbos, I heard that you need some sort of "approved" sticker on your turbo if it has been specially modified in any way in order to show that it is street legal, is this from the DOT or what? Or is it not even true? (I don't know turbo's) Anyone?
    3geez Member Since August 11, 2001 (since before the server swap in May 02)

1988starter

muffler turbo

Here is an idea for those of you who don't want to build a manifold
    http://i.b5z.net/i/u/1473169/f/Press/STS_THP.pdf

Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX
    Interesting, however, I wouldn't think it would be as effective being that it's located where it's at. That, and hell, there goes 4 grand if you ever have something hit the bottem of your car, heh. Cool concept either way.

That's got to be the cleanest living DX I've ever seen.
    -Strugglebucket
    Wow, that's absolutely amazing-that car does not look like it's 20 years old!
    -
    redaztec
    DAYUM!
    -
    2ndGenGuy
    ...it looks like it came out straight from japan.
    -
    MessyHonda

1988starter
    I thought the same thing at first but look how high it is It would be hella hard to actually scrape it besides If it was me I wuls fabricate a small cage to protect it.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    89 Accord LX Coupe
    I think that its a good idea if you cant fit a turbo under the hood!
    PLus when your racing people on the street and they ask you how the heck your car is so fast and you pop the hood and show them that its just "stock" then theyll be very confused and taken by the shear power of your stock looking car and engine when theyre running a hopped up little civic or some pocket rocket.
    I love Turbos!! good to see new ideas coming out!
    89 Accord 2dr Coupe..not a hatchback!...5speed..sunroof..spoiler..custom carb intake..custom exhaust..hood scoop....312000km

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    Bucket
    manifold turbo is soo much better. it's closer to intake mani, you wont need all that long charger and ic piping and yah if you hit something,there goes the turbo.

very interesting tho
    3geez for life.

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    in 2003 SCC featured that turbo system. It was proven to be worthwhile for trucks and suvs, but it was just too much work and only smaller turbos can be used. This is the same concept of the underhood turbos, but only with low boost and very unefficient method. They ran another article in the following month, critizing it.

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    i saw an installation of one of those on a camaro. I thought that a system like that wouldnt make boost for shit, but from what i understand, its pretty close to a manifold turbo and much easier to install. It is a lot more of a PITA to route pipes and stuff.

personally, i wouldnt want to worry about an expensive and somewhat fragile turbo getting crapped on all the time by being under the back of the car.
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Lx-i, 1975 Chevrolet Malibu Classic
    If I were to install one on a street car I would probably mike a protrusion in the trunk area so it would actually be at about the level of the trunk floor. It sounds like a great idea and all but I couldn't see having something like that hanging beneath your car, it seems like a great idea for a race car, but not a daily driver. I can't see them selling well to the normal person with a SUV or big pickup b/c can you imagine how fast that thing would get trashed going off-roading!
    75 Malibu for sale, fully restored, $5,500 obo
    https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=43055
    Currently driving a 95 LS soon to be turbo integra.

Vehicle
    1987 Ex-i 89 SE-i
    its a neat idea yes, its been out for awhile yes,its about the only way you'll get a turbo on a car with a small engine bay yes, but the downside i see is that a turbo runs off the exhaust gass' and heat from the engine, thats what actually turns the blades , as far as i know, and from what i can see , the farther away the turbo is from the exhaust manifold i worse its gonna perform or the more lag your going to have, and as we all know lag is the number 1 downfall for a turbo and for me i just wouldnt use it, there would be to much lag for and like some of you guys have said before if you do happen to scrap a rock or anything along those lines its pretty much toast
    -Who needs horse power when you got icy roads and bald tires

-To drift a car is to create reckless art

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    turbo's do not run off hot hot gasses, its the exhaust that turns the compressor wheel. The only problem i can see is that it'll take a longer time to spool the turbo since the exhaust has such a long time to go before it enters the turbo. Doing a muffler turbo would eliminate the need for an intercooler.
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    Quote Originally Posted by NXRacer
    turbo's do not run off hot hot gasses, its the exhaust that turns the compressor wheel.
    its true, but the efficiency of the turbo does depend on exhaust gas temperature as their decline in temperatue with time reduces their velocity leading to bad spool time. Which u did mention after. Thermal efficiency is what all turbos fight to maintain because of their exposed exhaust housing. Thats why vendors sell wraps for turbo housing, mainly the exhaust housing to prevent heat loss and also reduce underhood temperatures via radiation. But like we all said, this set up in the scc and turbo mag blow, they might make pretty much the same power, but putting them on the graphs, and looking at their efficiency, it would not be the same or even preferable.

Vehicle
    1987 Ex-i 89 SE-i
    "but the efficiency of the turbo does depend on exhaust gas temperature as their decline in temperatue with time reduces their velocity leading to bad spool time"

this is what i was tring to say, not the gasses but the exhaust gas temperatrures, sorrry about that
    -Who needs horse power when you got icy roads and bald tires

-To drift a car is to create reckless art

LX User
    Vehicle
    '89 Honda Accord DX, 2 dr 5 spd, '87 Toyota Pickup, 22R 5 spd
    wut about rain?? wouldn't it get sucked up into the intake, and also water get on the turbo, making it corrode?

Vehicle
    '89 LXi Coupe
    Houston, Texas (Home of the Quicksilver project)
    Actually, exhaust gasses travel very fast. Crank up your car, and see how long it takes to exit the tailpipe; it is almost instantaneous, and that is at idle. Heat does not matter too much either, as it is pressure differential accross a pump that tells it's efficiency. With the exhaust of the turbo now being a very short distance, you greatly reduce the exit pressure, thus requiring less inlet pressure to have the same efficiency. This is of course for the hot side, and when speaking of spool time, that is what you are concerned with. Conversely though, the opposite could be said for the cool side. With a much longer charge pipe, one would expect more back pressure on the compressor side of the turbo, thus hindering it's rotation, but this is where a properly sized turbo will help. Pressure in the charge pipe will be almost instantaneous also, especially if it is sized/routed correctly. Our cars have good low end torque, which would help the initial spooling process, then after that, the boost will do the rest. True, this will not be a great setup for instant boost from idle, but then again, who doesn't rev up their engine before dropping the clutch?
    "Feed their greed with your need for speed"

Vehicle
    89' Accord LXI
    Quote Originally Posted by nismoracer99
    wut about rain?? wouldn't it get sucked up into the intake, and also water get on the turbo, making it corrode?

Yeah i was thinking rain and puddles too. Turbos are hot and i don't think cold water would be good on it. It would almost have to be a summer only ride, hot and dry. And a CAI filter every 1000 miles.

Why do you all say a muffler and a tip? Wouldn't a tip if anything, restict exhaust flow?

Vehicle
    Stock 86 Accord LXi Hatch
    i doomed myself in this thread. my best 1/4 mile time IS a 16.6 lol

LXi User
    Vehicle
    1989 Fn' Blue Honda Accord Lxi 4dr
    why dont you be the first of us to get one of these
    http://www.ststurbo.com/home its a remote mounted turbo....turbo is something like 200degrees cooler because its under the car at the back...they have a universal kit for $3k thing is i dont know if our cars can take 5psi boost stock...but this is an option i dont think anyone has discussed or considered..as i just found out about them..but just look at the dyno's and vids...they are insane..and even if it just made 200 bhp with 5psi of boost..do some engine beefing and you could take it up more...and even if not..200bhp for our cars would be nice and quick..oh yeah no need for a lot of the electronics in this kit...it takes out the need for a turbo timer and all that and its supposed to have almost no lag
    "But no matter how much you tune it, it is still just an 86."

Kyoichi Sodou
    ~Initial D

MOds: bunch...if you see blue streak by catch up to me and ill show you ^_^

LXi User
    Vehicle
    1989 Fn' Blue Honda Accord Lxi 4dr

STS Remote mounted turbo systems

have you guys heard of or tried this?

http://www.ststurbo.com/home its a remote mounted turbo....turbo is something like 200degrees cooler because its under the car at the back...they have a universal kit for $3k thing is i dont know if our cars can take 5psi boost stock...but this is an option i dont think anyone has discussed or considered..as i just found out about them..but just look at the dyno's and vids...they are insane..and even if it just made 200 bhp with 5psi of boost..do some engine beefing and you could take it up more...and even if not..200bhp for our cars would be nice and quick..oh yeah no need for a lot of the electronics in this kit...it takes out the need for a turbo timer and all that and its supposed to have almost no lag..plus they make a kit for the integra..and im thinking...mod???..the universal kit would probably work...FI only of course..all u do is run the piping...and an oil return line for the new oil pump and wire it..it supposed to take like 3 hours to install and 2 hours to take it off...i dont know//but im thinking its a viable option for anyone really serious about making a sleeper
    "But no matter how much you tune it, it is still just an 86."

Kyoichi Sodou
    ~Initial D

MOds: bunch...if you see blue streak by catch up to me and ill show you ^_^

Vehicle
    88 Yota/ 62 Nova/ 06 Yamaha R1
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

Vehicle
    1989 Lx-i Hatchback
    yah ive seen it and they use liek in chevys the inner rear wheel well for the intake and tey give ya a cone filter with a filter "sock" it is im pressive being the pipe lengths on chevy's and trucks , makes me wonder with our 3 g's being very short in comparson that it might creaate some decent #'s

ive also heard that they make a injection of some sort to cool in intake air

1989 Accord Lx-i hatchback (current DD project)
    1986 Olds Cutlass 442 clone (never ending project)
    3Geez resident body man
    Owner of Wreck-less auto body

Vehicle
    89 Lx-i
    i don't see how running any amount of boost WOULDN'T require engine tuning... i want to believe, but it sounds too good to be true. "bolt on turbo" -- psh!!
    Chris

click the car to see my picture archives

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord Lx-i Sedan (long term project)
    i've been wondering of doing that for sometime. now that article i read on HCI magazine about it proves my theory that it works. but i wouldn't buy that kit. $4000??? yeah right. for that much money i can build it myself cheaper. just get a reground cam, i get to keep my dc header, apexi afc, 1g dsm turbo injectors, FPR, walbro pump or chevy camaro v8 fuel pump, msd coil and ignition box, ractive 3-core wires, ngk plugs, ball bearing turbo, custom piping with ceramic coating, b-series high-flow intake manifold (edelbrock victor x maybe), etc. etc.

i'm thinking of using two small twin turbos from the mitsu 3000gt vr4's, mazda rx7's, or nissan 300zx's for fast spool up and big boost.
    Last edited by ICEMAN707; 07-28-2005 at 12:26 PM.