Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Discussion , Non-traditional Remote Mounted Turbo Systems

Vehicle
    Manual 89 Se-i Accord
    Quote Originally Posted by gr3k0sLaV
    Why do you think it's too small?
    From looking at some turbo maps here http://not2fast.com/turbo/maps/ and using the calculator here http://www.turbofast.com.au/turbomap.html a T3 looks to be a pretty good match for a A20.

Their applet to automatically choose a turbo does pick the T25 for low boost, but if you do the math by hand the T3 seems to work out better, but then again I haven't ever ran a turbo in my Honda yet, I have just been doing research. My long term project is to build a MegaSquirt (hopefully UltraMegaSquirt) ECU, install a EDIS ignition system, then install a T3 Turbo (moving battery to trunk, and putting it in that area). I currently have an automatic transmission, but I do have a manual sitting around.

I did look at some of the non-garrett turbos, but in general the garretts seems to be the easiest to work with. They seem to be easy to find in junkyards, easy to find flanges for, they have lots of documentation, and lots of people have used them.

Actually, if I remember right, the GT28 map seemed to look the best on paper (no idea how it would work in the real world), but I doubt I will be finding one of those in a junkyard.

(Edited for spelling)
    Last edited by Swap_File; 08-18-2005 at 11:01 PM.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation
    i talk to aaron weir of weirRacing, he will custom make any flange you need, send him a gasket. I got mine from BMC racing but they are slow as fuck
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

Vehicle
    98 Av6 3oh
    sometimes speed of production is worth it for a good part. did sean use an old GM turbo or something like that? what about using something from a jy....you could even get a good hack at the manifold.

-Travis-

Vehicle
    88 Accord
    Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter
    i talk to aaron weir of weirRacing, he will custom make any flange you need, send him a gasket. I got mine from BMC racing but they are slow as fuck
    Aaron Weir is the man! He made my dcoe manifold. his stuff fits perfect.

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

under car turbo

i just watched rides and they have something i forgot all about,the under car turbo,it mounts right in the exaust stream,and the pressurized air goes back up front. no intercooler,no trying to fit it under the hood,no special exaust manifold. i've seen these before i forgot about them. you run two oil lines back up front. i would worry about oil pressure but you could run a seperate small dry sump with a belt driven pump very easy. i will try to get the name of the company if i can i will watch it again. this could be adapted to nearly anything on wheels.

Vehicle
    '89 LXi Coupe
    Houston, Texas (Home of the Quicksilver project)
    That is exactly what I'm doing with mine. Stock exhaust manifold, short mid pipe w/ t3 flange, turbo mounted at rear of engine.
    "Feed their greed with your need for speed"

Vehicle
    no,this one goes under the car,like a muffler. at the back.

holy mother of lag. think of the amount of pipe youd have to pressurrize before you even got decent boost. Better run a really small ihi 5

Vehicle
    '89 LXi Coupe
    Houston, Texas (Home of the Quicksilver project)
    Okay, you are talking about the Squires Turbo Systems (STS) setup in the rear. Yeah, they have been working on a kit for the Integra forever, but never have finished it. I don't think that setup will work well on a four cylinder engine. Just not enough volume available to make good boost.

Mounting on the back of the engine will not have that problem, and as CKE mentioned, there are several advantages to it. With all I've got going on in life right now though, it will be awhile before I get there, but like I said, that is the plan.
    "Feed their greed with your need for speed"

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    It's interesting that STS doesn't have a kit yet, you would think if it was easy it would be done a long time ago. I'm sure they are having some setbacks.
    Untill they come out with the kit I see no reason to try and beat them to the punch with their own system. A turbo closer to the engine would be okay, but not as far back as the muffler on a 4 cylinder.
    - llia

Vehicle
    the system i saw on rides was for a four cylinder,it seemed to work well, i assume they have adjusted boost pressure for the length of the pipe,this is a great idea for a car with no turbo parts available, or no room for one, it also reduces your underhood temp. they said the turbo ran like 500 degrees cooler. the turbo unit was attached to the muffler. it might cause oil temp problems but with a seperate dry sump system for the turbo you wouldn't have those problems. you could run that with a dedicated oil cooler for the turbo too.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda ACcord lxi hatch

hhr muffler turbo

I saw that RIDE also. INteresting idea. Another problem I anticipate along with the oil routing would be the lag induced by the turbo having to pressurize all that plumbing. ANy thoughts?

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i Sedan; 1998 BMW 540i/6

remote-mount turbo

how many of you are familiar with the sts turbos? they sell turbo kits that basically replace your muffler with a turbo. how well do you think something like that would work on our cars? i know everyone has been concerned about things such as exhaust gas temperature being pretty low and other such concerns. anyone have any experience with a set-up like the sts?
    here's how it looks from underneath on a new mustang gt.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX (rip), 1993 Civic Si (rip), 2000 Contour (burn in hell), 1992 Integra LS, 1992 Civic CX (Project)

Re: remote-mount turbo

well i dont know, but that'd be pretty freakin sweet if they're was something like that for our cars

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    If sized right it should be fine, meaning turbo, and piping.
    Be prepared to run about a 2"-2.5" exhaust pipe ceramic coated inside and out from the header back. And a Turbo Specially geared towards the remote mount system, if you have a header already you can run with it. This had all been talked about before... I'll merge the threads.
    - llia

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i Sedan; 1998 BMW 540i/6

Re: hhr muffler turbo

Quote Originally Posted by hot-87-hatch
    I saw that RIDE also. INteresting idea. Another problem I anticipate along with the oil routing would be the lag induced by the turbo having to pressurize all that plumbing. ANy thoughts?
    have a seperate oil pump to pump oil to the turbo is what sts does. it's an electric pump about midway between the engine and turbo. and does anyone have any pix of the underside of our cars that are pretty good size and thorough in what they show?

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Prelude

Re: Discussion , Non-traditional Remote Mounted Turbo Systems

The only thing i have heard about these setups were that they wouldn't work for a four cylinder because of the exhasut pulses... Not enough power behind them to spin the turbine.... Which leads to major lag... But you cought my attention so now i think i'll have to try it for R&D...

Vehicle
    88 lx sedan (R.I.P.) / 89 LX sedan(sold) / 89 lxi parts car(towed away) / 87 lxi hatch

so if we could put them there y cant we do it were the flex tube is

SEi User
    Vehicle
    87 hatch, stock sleeve b series gsr clone..

I am going to use the factory tri-y gsr manifold on my b series as part of a top mount setup with my holset..

It'll probably be another 6 months before I get around to that..hopefully not though

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation

are you just gonna do an up pipe from the manifold to the turbo? Ive seen that done before. Ive seen the remote mounted turbos done before on a camaro with good results, but i think efficiency wise youre best off going underhood off the manifold like traditional setups. Going remote mount does work but i feel its a tradeoff, plus all that work you saved by going remote mount catches up with you when you have to figure out how youre gonna work turbo oil supply out.
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX (rip), 1993 Civic Si (rip), 2000 Contour (burn in hell), 1992 Integra LS, 1992 Civic CX (Project)

Quote Originally Posted by 87preludeA20A3
    The only thing i have heard about these setups were that they wouldn't work for a four cylinder because of the exhasut pulses... Not enough power behind them to spin the turbine.... Which leads to major lag... But you cought my attention so now i think i'll have to try it for R&D...
    i just looked at there site and they have whole kits for Civics and other 4 cylinders. and then with this set up the only thing custom needed would be piping right?

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Prelude

Do you have a link to that info you got Sinisterfuzzy..???? Post those so we all can read and see...