Thread: how do you take off a tie rod?

Vehicle
    89 honda accord LX

how do you take off a tie rod?

i cant get my tie rod end off, so im going to try to take off my tie rod and my tie rod end. any help on getting off the tie rod? thanks

zach

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar
    if you unscrew the tie rod from the steering box you will need an alignment. what won't come off? the tierod from the steering knuckle or the end?

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LXi, Coupe & Sedan

Sounds like the lock nut seized

Torch wrench and some PB Blast should take care of the problem.
    Phil

Vehicle
    89 honda accord LX
    the tie rod end wont come off. ive tried a torch. i'll give it another shot, i get it red this time.

zach

Vehicle
    1991 Subaru XT6 AWD, 1988 Subaru XT6 AWD
    Which end won't come off, the outer end? You need a tie-rod end remover to take off the outer tie-rod end. They sell them at Autozone for like $10 and they double as ball joint removers for Hondas. Since you are replacing them you could also use a pickle fork (which usually destroys the boot).

The inner tie-rod end uses a 19mm (I think) crow's foot with a long extension if you don't have an inner tie-rod end removal tool ($60 if you can find one).

Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by myaccord7
    the tie rod end wont come off. ive tried a torch. i'll give it another shot, i get it red this time. did you back off the lock nut first? you can't turn them both at the same time. don't heat up the rod red hot, you'll destroy the hardness of it.

zach

Vehicle
    here is the tool, i believe mine was sold as a pitman arm puller at advance, but it works great,some of the ball joint pullers i've found were too big.

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    Quote Originally Posted by myaccord7
    the tie rod end wont come off. ive tried a torch. i'll give it another shot, i get it red this time. zach
    you many find this to sound ghetto but this is how i remove all my ball joints. Spray a good amount of good penetrating lubricant onto the ball joint, here in ur case the tie-rod end where it bolts up to the knuckle.

loosen the castle nut a lil bit and spray the lube again, but DO NOT REMOVE THE NUT.

get a hammer and give like two wacks on the knuckle where the joint drops in, and out comes the tie rod end.

ps: you will not hurt the knuckle cause its hardened cast iron, so it will not break or crak in this aspect.

Vehicle
    1989 240sx FB,
    Yes! the Pitman puller is like $6 at Harbor Freight and works great. I did the susp. on my friends 98 Prelude and had to go buy one and it works really well!

Alex

Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by smufguy
    you many find this to sound ghetto but this is how i remove all my ball joints. Spray a good amount of good penetrating lubricant onto the ball joint, here in ur case the tie-rod end where it bolts up to the knuckle.

loosen the castle nut a lil bit and spray the lube again, but DO NOT REMOVE THE NUT.

get a hammer and give like two wacks on the knuckle where the joint drops in, and out comes the tie rod end.

ps: you will not hurt the knuckle cause its hardened cast iron, so it will not break or crak in this aspect.
    i just like the little tool because it's so easy, i used to do them the way you said but this will remove any ball joint on the car in a few seconds,it's a little bit of a pain getting the cotter key out,but once you do that piece of cake. i've even used it at the junkyard to remove really frozen ones, lots of wd 40,but they came off. it's good where you don't have a lot of room,like when the car is half sunk in mud.