Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My 1978 1G , 1st Gen Accord !

DX User
    Vehicle
    1978 Honda Accord

My 1978 1G , 1st Gen Accord !

Yup, its not a 3G, but being an accord, im sure you guys would still accept it :P

Its the 1978 Gen 1 Accord that i mentioned elseware on the forum.

1600cc single carb
    Hondamatic (2 speed)
    Yellow, hatch
    98,000 kilometers (genuine)
    New Zealand new (was not imported here. The first owner had it till 2004)

I dont really have any plans for it. There is still another car that i want to buy, so i might have to sell this as soon as i have enough money to replace it. Its a nice wee car, but i want something EFI, manual, and bigger.

Vehicle
    1988 EX-i 4dr, 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 2006 TSX
    holy crap thats intense... so rare. and it loosk mint.
    Last edited by Hash_man_Se_i; 07-31-2005 at 12:41 PM.

LXi User
    Quote Originally Posted by Hash_man_Se_i
    holy crap thats intense... so rare. and it loosk miny.
    Took the words right out of my mouth hash!
    For Sale:
    T3/T4 Turbo, wastegate, and BOV
    P75 ECU
    Untouched Head

Port & Polished, 5-angle valve job, bowl and swirl job, Head -$1000 invested in machining alone

Misc.
    DDR Pad and DDR Extreme
    PS1
    NES
    Needed:
    Dremel
    Money

Vehicle
    '88 Accord LX-i
    I like!!
    '88 LX-i Coupe --- LS/Vtec
    '08 Accord EX-L 6-6 --- Daily Duty

Vehicle
    Accord 88 LXi Coupe

Exclamation Awww Geeeez That's Beautiful

Mmmm...makes me cry...its a beautiful thing ...sorry I'm having an emo moment. That car is so badass...it gets my vote for Vintage Accord of the Month, LOL.
    Last edited by phrenology; 07-31-2005 at 10:29 AM.

"The Future is Unwritten" -Strummer

"speed costs money, so gaffer tape and cable ties will suffice"-Peasant Tuning

Vehicle
    93 civic
    slow and clean.

Vehicle
    2007 VW Rabbit
    HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2spd? that must suck! But when you're in something that sweet looking, I guess you wanna go slow to get all the looks
    I escaped Jersey!

DX User
    that thing is nice looking, very hot.

Vehicle
    '01 BMW 740i,'87 Accord,'02 Accord EX-L,'76 Datsun 280Z,'05 Subaru Legacy GT*R.I.P.*
    heh, 2 speed. honda's version of the good old american powerglide! lol. anyway, thats an accord and totally acceptable! man, that is one nice car you should really keep ahold of. i remember there was a 2nd gen for sale. perfect body, it was a tan colored sedan. it was forsale really cheap close to my house about a year and a half ago. i wish i had got it. it looks so perfect, i see it driving around now and then. great car you have there.
    Keep it HONDA. Or at least Asian.™
    *Weber 32/36*Pacesetter Header*2.25 in. Cat Back exhaust*SE-i rear disk brakes
    B18C swap ditched, A20 to be revived
    Looking for K20/trans for ultimate swap

Vehicle
    1988 EX-i 4dr, 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 2006 TSX
    Damn this is making me want to buy my grandmas old 1g civic back from my aunts parents... lol... old school hondas rock.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    look at those headlights.... raaawrrr
    - llia

Vehicle
    Accord 88 LXi Coupe
    Yeah that is rad!!! Now you need JDM style old school mirrors mounted up by the bonnet...that would be slick.

LXi User
    Oh dude I agree. Like the old school skylines and 2000gts!
    For Sale:
    T3/T4 Turbo, wastegate, and BOV
    P75 ECU
    Untouched Head

Port & Polished, 5-angle valve job, bowl and swirl job, Head -$1000 invested in machining alone

Misc.
    DDR Pad and DDR Extreme
    PS1
    NES
    Needed:
    Dremel
    Money

DX User
    Vehicle
    1978 Honda Accord
    Thanks for the good comments all.

The 2 speed is quite the step down from the 4 speed auto in my old celica, but hey, that long 1st gear is quite smooth, and this car really isnt built for speed anyway.

I would try to find some mirrors like that, but i hate using the things. Look cool, horrible to use. its bad enough only having a mirror on the drivers side.

As for the headlights, they look pretty agressive. Heres a pic with the high beams on (low beam only has the outside two lit)...

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i (done for) 88 crx si 91 bmw, 93 lexus es300 project88dx accord
    haha that thing is smokin!! i love it

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX
    That looks cool, the interior is really clean. How is driving on the opposite side feel going down the road?

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar
    not sure how i double posted,my screen showed my post as having disappeared.
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 07-31-2005 at 08:32 PM.

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar
    beautiful, make sure you post on thisoldhonda.org also, that is a rare and beautiful car. they can help you find parts and info for it. there are lots of 60's and 70's honda's on there. i'm glad you posted, if you get some more i would love to see them,i'm sure anyone on here who appreciates accords wouldn't mind eithier.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1978 Honda Accord
    Unfortunately, the car that i wish to replace this with is up forsale soon, so this one needs to be sold.

Its not being replaced with a honda... ironically, its being replaced with the brother (the owner of the car i wish to buy brought my last car) of the car i sold to buy this... a 81/82 Celica Supra.

Lol, how do you feel driving on the opposite side of the road? it feels normal to me driving on this side, just because i always have.

The other reason i want to get rid of it quickly is the fact that the car needs to be kept garaged, and i cant provide that for it. its sad having it sitting out there in the elements.

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX
    Quote Originally Posted by KwS
    Lol, how do you feel driving on the opposite side of the road? it feels normal to me driving on this side, just because i always have.
    LOL, there is no location on you profile, nor do I see where you imported it from New Zeland too. Just thought you was in the U.S. by your remarks. Anyhow, what you looking to get after you sell it?

DX User
    Vehicle
    1978 Honda Accord
    Quote Originally Posted by ddude2uc
    LOL, there is no location on you profile, nor do I see where you imported it from New Zeland too. Just thought you was in the U.S. by your remarks. Anyhow, what you looking to get after you sell it?
    Lol, sorry, didnt notice it wasnt in my profile... thats been fixed now.

We all drive on the "wrong" side of the road over here... :p

As i said before, if all goes well, this little honda will be replaced with a 1981 Toyota Celica Supra (similar to the ones you see on www.celicasupra.com). I love my old cars, but unfortunately i need a manual transmission for my license, a car thats a little bigger (the celica is a 2 door lift back too, but is about twice as long as this honda), and i have a real soft spot the for these old celicas (RWD, 6 cylinder, fuel injection, 2L).

This little beast needs a better home than i can provide and i need something a bit bigger and more powerful. When i got the car i was planning a B16 vtec swap with a 5 speed, but i have been convinced this car is better kept in original condition. Also needs to go to someone that can keep it garaged and out of the elements.

Vehicle
    Accord 88 LXi Coupe

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by KwS
    Lol, sorry, didnt notice it wasnt in my profile... thats been fixed now.

We all drive on the "wrong" side of the road over here... :p

As i said before, if all goes well, this little honda will be replaced with a 1981 Toyota Celica Supra (similar to the ones you see on www.celicasupra.com). I love my old cars, but unfortunately i need a manual transmission for my license, a car thats a little bigger (the celica is a 2 door lift back too, but is about twice as long as this honda), and i have a real soft spot the for these old celicas (RWD, 6 cylinder, fuel injection, 2L).

This little beast needs a better home than i can provide and i need something a bit bigger and more powerful. When i got the car i was planning a B16 vtec swap with a 5 speed, but i have been convinced this car is better kept in original condition. Also needs to go to someone that can keep it garaged and out of the elements.

I test drove an 84/85 Celica "liftback" cause it kinda looked like my Accord and I wanted to get a Japanese RWD of the same 80's era. IMO: That car was a piece of total garbage. It had a 2.2 (22R) in it but it weighed like 1000lbs. (500 kilos) more than my Accord. I could be exaggerating on the weight difference cause I don't know jack about those Ceilicas, but it was frickin' heavy. It was slow and handled like a tug boat, but it was stock and given its 20+ years old I can't complain too much. It really could have benefitted from a 6 cyl swap.

After 2 laps around the block it started to over heat and I ditched it in the library parking lot. I couldn't even shut it down cause the ignition was jammed. I finally managed to stalled it out and then I hitched a ride back to the "dealership". I didn't have a card from them with a name or number so I couldn't call them. When I got there the guy was like "so you want to buy it, only $1500" and I was like "no thanks, its sitting at the library completely overheated". Next time they should do some basic maintainence like check the thermostat and coolant levels before letting it go. But used dealers like that don't give a f*ck.

I saw it driving around town about 5 months later. So they must have fixed it and some poor bastard bought it. ...And that's my old skool Ceilica horror story.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1978 Honda Accord
    Lmao, thanks for that story. Car dealers love to try to sell shit like that.

Unfortunate that your experience wasnt all that great, but thanksfully im not buying the celica of that year, im buying the supra.

The supra (celica supra was its full name, before it became celica or supra. It was based off the celica like you drove, but was like the sports model) has better suspension, was bigger and came stock with a 6 cylinder engine. Get a decent one, and they are bloody nice cars.

Vehicle
    '01 BMW 740i,'87 Accord,'02 Accord EX-L,'76 Datsun 280Z,'05 Subaru Legacy GT*R.I.P.*
    hey, i was just thinking. is that color called harvest gold? we used to have this old ass Kenmore refrigerator from the 70's in that color.
    Keep it HONDA. Or at least Asian.™
    *Weber 32/36*Pacesetter Header*2.25 in. Cat Back exhaust*SE-i rear disk brakes
    B18C swap ditched, A20 to be revived
    Looking for K20/trans for ultimate swap

DX User
    Vehicle
    don't have any 3g accords anymore but still a 3gee fan but now i have a 92 honda civic dx hatch and its a 5 spd
    nice 1g accord since its in pretty good coniditon wel i hope u fix it up to make it look hot and nice
    MY NAME is KONGO