Thread: $40 Accord

$40 Accord

Well ive posted on this site a couple times but here is a formal introduction. Im Tyler and I live in BC canada and love hondas. ive been looking for a civic but recently a chance to get an accord came my way. thus i looked for a 3rd gen accord owners club and found this. Ok so my moms friend says she killed the accord and all she wants is me to pay the towing fee out of her yard to my yard ($40). its not in bad condition but it needs some TLC at some 404xxx kms. i have yet to check out the car under the hood etc but it is a accord S model like all canadian hatches but it has a "sports edition" decal from the side mouldings down. im realy anxious to get a car but i dont exactly want it f its not worth it. I plan to get it running well in auto shop in school, but is it worth it to get a carbed car(if its carbed haven't checked yet) with this much mileage?
    -Tyler

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by tyler88
    Well ive posted on this site a couple times but here is a formal introduction. Im Tyler and I live in BC canada and love hondas. ive been looking for a civic but recently a chance to get an accord came my way. thus i looked for a 3rd gen accord owners club and found this. Ok so my moms friend says she killed the accord and all she wants is me to pay the towing fee out of her yard to my yard ($40). its not in bad condition but it needs some TLC at some 404xxx kms. i have yet to check out the car under the hood etc but it is a accord S model like all canadian hatches but it has a "sports edition" decal from the side mouldings down. im realy anxious to get a car but i dont exactly want it f its not worth it. I plan to get it running well in auto shop in school, but is it worth it to get a carbed car(if its carbed haven't checked yet) with this much mileage?
    -Tyler
    with that many miles its possible that the cars dead, the motor has probably just got tired and finally gave out. You can put a new motor in for probably $800 or so, or you can pull a motor out of the junk yard for less then half that and try your luck that way. If youre going to pull the motor out of a junkyard car, your best bet would be to find one thats obviously been totaled and sent there, otherwise you run the chance of buying a motor thats already dead lol

Vehicle
    1987 Accord EF Extra(rhd) A18A
    welcome tyler, where in bc are you from?

well the lady said that the mechanic siad she needed a new water pump and she still drove it so it might be seized.

im from the terrace kitimat area up north. but i have family all around kelowna area where you are from

OK so i went to look at it today and its, lets say in need of help. It has some rusted through hole in the driver side backseat which i guess i could weld with no problem. It definatly needs a water pump because the pulley wobbles like there is no tomorrow even when the car is not running. The only thing that really concerns me is that it is carbeurated. Would it be worth to drop money into it or wait along for another honda? The driverside carpet is missing and is replaced with a piece of home carpeting. It only has 240xxx km so that is significantly less than 400xxx. Any input is greatly appreciated!

SEi User
    Vehicle
    swifts/sprints boosted
    You mean the whole car only has 240k and not the 400 you thought before?

Carbs are fine, honda carbs are good ones IMO, they could be better but so could everything else in the world. I have a carb and am happy with it. First do a compression test, if you still have compression the motor should be good. Throw a waterpump in and see how the motor sounds. Worst case scenerio you wasted money on a water pump and have to sell the car, or best case, it only needed a water pump and the motor is perfect. You just have some body work to fix.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    swifts/sprints boosted
    And if you follow the link water pump, its a very simple procedure. And its not like the hardware costs alot.

Awaiting Activation
    Vehicle
    88 Accord DX 5-spd; 96 Hyundai Accent 5-spd(at least its a manual.lol)
    another thing if u really want 2 u can always convert it 2 fuel injected.

Vehicle
    1989 honda accord lx ,2006 accord se 2.4l i-vtec 166 hp 5spd

Re: $40 Accord

wait a minute i know this thread is a couple months old now but if you are a kid going to auto shop then any car you get for $40 (28usd?) is
    good since you can use it as your project if the motor turns over it is rebuildable carbed cars are easier to work on than injected ones .
    so go for it that is what auto shop is for besides you can always part it out and make more than the $40 you paid for it.
    pic's of project at my homepage: home.earthlink.net/~andyk65

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 honda accord EX-i

404? nothing.. i have 450xxx and just did the moter out of me messing up in a race, but trust me i got a reblide for $300 and droped it in , in under 3 days
    still a good car i only pay 400 for the car cuz of the 400k on it but has not let me down yet,.... well only from my n.o.s bad shifting...lol dont use nos, not lots anyways....

you would have better luck just goin out and gettin a different car...just because your prolly gonna put alot more money into it than what you think...and you dont want to do that...

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

it's an S. pull the steering rack and tow it to the junkyard. that's the only model the manual rack was available in. ALL of us in the states want the rack.

havnt been on here in a while but i ended up getting a 1991 2dr 5 speed tercel from my uncle in october. i love it and have a kick ass stereo installed. just thought id give an update