Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reupholstery Offical How-To Thread

Vehicle
    1998 VT Commodore 50th Anniversary Edition

Reupholstery Offical How-To Thread

A small guide on doing vinyl seats.
    http://www.upholster.com/auto/truck.html
    Not the best.

Basically I want to start a thread for people to contribute knowledge, experiences, photos, guides, links, etc on doing vinyl or other re-upholstery work on areas such as Roof Lining, flooring, seats, door trims, etc.

I'm planning on doing my door trims soon, so I will contribute when I start, but i'm a total novice.

And since there really isn't any sort of how-to's on upholstery it may be a good idea to start one.

Also can we possibly get a sticky on this thread?
    Cocaine's A Helluva Drug! - Rick James
    I really fracked things up for you Bill - Colonel Tigh
    Girl we couldn't get much Higher! - Light My Fire

Vehicle
    well any takers? anyone done custom vinyl interior?

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987/honda/accord LX 1988/honda/accord lx-i 5spd/1990 accord ex auto
    my friend and I did a little work on my old bmw when i had it. we took out all the hog rings and removed the whole vinyl. we took a seem ripper took outt the center vinyls.then we took the old center sections and put it on new blue vinyl.then my grandmother who was a sewstress seemed them back up and we used new hog rings and put them back in. it came out good for a first time.

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar
    yea, i've done my entire interior except for putting in new carpet and doing the sun visors, i'm going to have the sunvisors done, and get the carpet this fall. just click on my car domain site in my signature. it's easier then posting pics. i would be glad to answer questions in this thread . one tip i can give you right away, use good glue, the stuff you buy at wal mart and home depot isn't for automotive applications, the heat and cool cycles inside a car will unstick it over time. use one you get from an upholstery shop, i use con bond, i think you can search for it on the internet, mine was bought through work. if you use this stuff what you stick will stay that way for good. it's the green glue like oem manufacturers use. if you decide to buy some, USE A RESPIRATOR!, not a dust mask or a hankerchief, i mean a cartridge respirator. It will make you sick in a hurry if you don't. I'm going to be doing my headliner over again for the third time in a couple of months, so if this thread is still going then i'll post some pics,or bring it back. i might do a sticky on that. i'm going to cover the bare cardboard with fiberglass mat first, so it won't wrinkle it being so old. then cover it in perforated vinyl to match the leather on my seats.
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 08-02-2005 at 04:38 PM.

Vehicle
    You've done a terrific job. No doubts there. How'd you learn how to sew?

Vehicle
    I'm wanting to take out my headliner soon, next few days, don't know whether to paint is black, or strip it done, fibreglass it and then lay vinyl on it.

Same with the trimmings on the A, B & C pillars. They are filthy, they have paint and umm oil in them.

The oils still there from about 3 years ago when I did a spinout in a parking where about 9-10 bottles of oil had been dropped. I didn't; realise Ihad the window open.

The car was literally drenched with oil

Vehicle
    1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS, 2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i, 1989 Sei(Project Honda SVX)
    I did mine back in the day, all by hand though... I'm gettin ready to redo the si seats I have in there now... But I"m not doin white again... Bein a mechanic and havin white interior is a bad combo... But here's what it used to look like...

Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by gr3k0sLaV
    You've done a terrific job. No doubts there. How'd you learn how to sew?
    my mom, and by nescesity i couldn't afford to have anyone else do it. th sewing isn't hard, what is hard to learn is how to strech material over odd ball shapes without showing the edges or wrinkles. like the plastic pieces at the top of the door. it just takes practice and learning how to place the edges. if you want to learn to do it get some practce material and good glue and see if you can get some damaged interior parts from a junk yard. doesn't have to be from a three g. just some parts to practice on. you could probably get them really cheap, most people don't buy that stuff. if you are going to do an entire interior sketch it out first and plan what you are going to do then when it gets to the point where you want to give up,which it will trust me,you won't lose your vision of what you want it to look like. that way you can take a break from it and still know where you left off.

Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by gr3k0sLaV
    I'm wanting to take out my headliner soon, next few days, don't know whether to paint is black, or strip it done, fibreglass it and then lay vinyl on it.

Same with the trimmings on the A, B & C pillars. They are filthy, they have paint and umm oil in them.

The oils still there from about 3 years ago when I did a spinout in a parking where about 9-10 bottles of oil had been dropped. I didn't; realise Ihad the window open.

The car was literally drenched with oil
    they make plastic prep cleaners for painting plastic, you should be able to get them at an auto paint supply store, they might remove that. also try non pumice go jo, that will remove it for sure. it emusifys the oil. can't spell today. the best thing to do is take that old material off the headliner, just be careful, it's just old cardboard. i'm going to try the fiberglass mat myself to make the cardboard stronger.

Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by jigga89SEi
    I did mine back in the day, all by hand though... I'm gettin ready to redo the si seats I have in there now... But I"m not doin white again... Bein a mechanic and havin white interior is a bad combo... But here's what it used to look like...

looks good. i know what you mean, that's why i wanted leather, it comes clean.

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987/honda/accord LX 1988/honda/accord lx-i 5spd/1990 accord ex auto
    Quote Originally Posted by jigga89SEi

this may sound stupid but is ur accord a convertable b/c in the top two it looks like there isnt a roof or back. just the pillars. or it might just be the pic.

LXi User
    Hey guys I would really really like to redo my interior my self. And when I asked about it a while ago a couple guys said that in order to save myself alot of hassle why not just take an automotive interior class at a community college. For the guys that have done it, do you think it is really that much of a necessity ? Or is it a little difficult but nothing a little perseverence will get you through? Also, what is the type of material that the Sparco seats use? It's not cloth, vinyl, or leather. I'm pretty sure it's not a neoprene-ish cloth but, I don't know. I like the way it looks. But I can't afford sparcos or waht I really want which is MOMO seats!
    For Sale:
    T3/T4 Turbo, wastegate, and BOV
    P75 ECU
    Untouched Head

Port & Polished, 5-angle valve job, bowl and swirl job, Head -$1000 invested in machining alone

Misc.
    DDR Pad and DDR Extreme
    PS1
    NES
    Needed:
    Dremel
    Money

Vehicle
    if you take the class, it will be eaisier for you, plus you learn a new useful skill,
    it would save you a lot of hassle to do that.

Vehicle
    87 Accord LX, 88 Accord Ex-i, 88 accord LX, 02 Hyundi Accent, 1996 Dodge Ram, 1993 Dodge Stealth and a 1990 Jeep cherokee
    Out of curiosity how much did the material cost? and any ther products you used in the making of.?

Birthdays are good for you!! Statistics show that the people who have the most live the longest.

Vehicle
    well the leather was supposed to be a kit,it showed it being sewed on the internet,when i got it however,it was just flat cut pieces. the "kit" was on clearance for 70 bucks,some assembly required they have one sim at jc whitney that sells for about 600 dollars. the rest of the fabric i had to buy from work, the blue at the top of the doors and in the quarters sells for about 50 bucks a yard,the tan in the door panels about 80, the headliner material was about 50 a yard, the leather i made the armrests in the back from was from an upholstery shop here in town and it was about a hundred bucks a yard,lucky i didn't need much,that is genuine m benz leather. i wanted a little luxury. the material on the back deck lid don't ask,i'm kind of pissed at that because it's fading to blue in splotches,got to dye it black again. the red velour was a left over, we actually had that on a shelf since the 80's. i got the last of it, i wish we had more. it's like that civic s red. i guess you get what you pay for,if you are going to do the work i would get the best material you can afford or can't aford. it also took a lot of glue.
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 08-15-2005 at 07:59 PM.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX
    I wish you lived here, so I could see everything in person. I'm sure the small little cardomain pics, don't do it justice.

Could you post more pics for me?

Also, PM me when you (eventually) part out your ride.

Beautiful ... Leather ,,,

Peace.

The Watcher sees all and knows all. I like to watch!

Vehicle
    I will try to get some better pics when i can get a better camera,my camera sucks big time. thanks for the compliment, i don't plan on getting rid of my car anytime soon,when the wheels fall off i'll put on new ones

Vehicle
    just for laughs here's some old asspictures. it's come a long way since then. those are lxi seats by the way, it's an entire thread how i got them in there. you can see some of the original upholstery on some of the early pictures. i think you can do a nice job on the interior if you plan the time it will take, this took years and several versions before it was done. it's all in the time.
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 08-16-2005 at 07:14 PM.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX
    I thought they were SE-i seats that you reupholstered.

I may need to reupholster my seat(s).

Peace.

Vehicle
    that was jigga89sei who had the sei. mine were from an 89lxi. they were a bitch to get in because one of the tracks was completly different, plus they were double locking tracks,vs single locking and they had those freaking seatbelts attached to the seat. actually we just had to switch a lot of parts around, and remove the spring locking mechanism from one of the tracks on the lxi and put one of the dx tracks on the lxi seat. all the cables hooked up and everything. it was harder then it sounds. i had to drive around for a while with that nasty ass junkyard upholstery and bullet holes in my seats. try explaining that to a cop. I was editing my post when i got your message

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX
    Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile
    that was jigga89sei who had the sei. mine were from an 89lxi. they were a bitch to get in because one of the tracks was completly different, plus they were double locking tracks,vs single locking and they had those freaking seatbelts attached to the seat. actually we just had to switch a lot of parts around, and remove the spring locking mechanism from one of the tracks on the lxi and put one of the dx tracks on the lxi seat. all the cables hooked up and everything. it was harder then it sounds. i had to drive around for a while with that nasty ass junkyard upholstery and bullet holes in my seats. try explaining that to a cop. I was editing my post when i got your message
    BULLET holes in the seats.

I learned something. I thought all 3g seats use the same tracks/rails. Now I know differently. Thanks for the 411.

Peace.

Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWatcher
    BULLET holes in the seats.

I learned something. I thought all 3g seats use the same tracks/rails. Now I know differently. Thanks for the 411.

Peace.
    the car had bullet holes too, i guess hatchies can't be choosies too hard to find parts. the lxi seats had a sideways track i believe it's been about four years
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 08-16-2005 at 10:02 PM.

Vehicle
    hey i found my old pictures from when i was redoing the upholstery, i never did mention they weren't sewed,probably the glue fumes. anyway i put some of them at a link. the completly finished ones are at my cardomain link below. http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/moultr...vwStDBEuUhKdrd
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 10-01-2005 at 01:32 PM.

Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX
    This kind of ties in with the topic of this thread, but I was just wondering if anyone else is having the problem I am? On the back side of my backseats, the seams where the fabric was held together is coming apart. Is there an effective way to repair this, or is it just straight sewing? I've tried sewing before, but for some reason the thread won't hold.

That's got to be the cleanest living DX I've ever seen.
    -Strugglebucket
    Wow, that's absolutely amazing-that car does not look like it's 20 years old!
    -
    redaztec
    DAYUM!
    -
    2ndGenGuy
    ...it looks like it came out straight from japan.
    -
    MessyHonda

Vehicle
    well the best thing i could tell you would be to take the upholstery off of the foam,turn it inside out and resew it. you will need to get a kit with hog rings and hog ring pliars probably at an auto parts store. this is what holds it to the metal part of the seat. if you do this i would say use fishing line to sew it by hand. this is the strongest material you can use for the diameter.