Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DISCUSSION , TURBOCHARGING YOUR CAR

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    i dont know if shot peened and stress relieved are the same terms, but in one of my posts in this thread i mentiond it. Why dont you ask the machinest how much boost one can safely run on this motor?

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Coupe
    Yea, that would probably be helpfull.

So smufguy, if i put exhaust valves on the intake side, will i need to port out the intake side to allow them to fit, or will they fit without porting?

Also, would it be wise to get a regrind cam from someone? Who would you recomend buying one from?

DX User
    Maybe he meant magnafluxed? This is a process where they check for cracks near/at the surface that are not visible with the naked eye. Just call up your machinist and ask.

Vehicle
    87 Honda Accord DX
    ok he meant magnafluxed, as pointed out above.
    here's a little info i got on it:

"You've heard the term Magnafluxed. To most, it means taking a part and checking it for cracks. Typically, the teardown guy brings a part to the "Mag" unit, wets it down with solution, presses the button a couple of times, then shines the black light on the part, checking it for cracks. The process seems simple enough, but there is much more to inspection than most racers realize.

Magnaflux is actually the name of the company that began building magnetic particle inspection (MPI) equipment in the '30s, and is still the leading manufacturer of the equipment."

and he shot peened the rods. here's a litte more info on that too:
    "Today, Shot Peening involves bombarding a material with small spherical media called shot. Each piece of shot is the modern day version of the hammer/ stone used in the past. As the Shot Peening is performed, the atoms on the surface of the metal become crowded and try to restore the metal's original shape by pushing outward. This pulls, towards the surface, the atoms in the deeper layers, which resist the outward pull, thereby creating internal tensile stress that keeps the part in equilibrium with the compressive stress on the surface. The tensile stresses, resulting from Shot Peening, deep in the part are not as problematic as tensile stresses on the surface because cracks are less likely to start on the interior.

Shot Peening increases resistance to
    ……fatigue failure
    …corrosion fatigue
    …hydrogen assisted cracking
    …cavitation erosion
    …stress corrosion cracking
    …galling
    …fretting

Shot Peening Helps with
    ……surface texturing
    …intergranular corrosion resistance
    …closing of porosity
    …testing of bond coatings
    …work hardening
    …increased strength
    …increased durability"

Well, there you have it. i guess a little more was done to this engine than we had hoped! which would explain the insanely high price he was originally going to charge.
    www.stein-photo.com
    born to XLR8

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    Quote Originally Posted by halxi
    Yea, that would probably be helpfull.

So smufguy, if i put exhaust valves on the intake side, will i need to port out the intake side to allow them to fit, or will they fit without porting?

Also, would it be wise to get a regrind cam from someone? Who would you recomend buying one from?
    its part of the head work. when the head is being worked on, just tell the machinest that you want the exhaust valves in place of ur intake valves so when he switches them, he will cut new seats and stuff and make he valve fit right.

Cams, well we do not have off the shelf cams, you have to tell the machinist who works on the head how much power u want and he will put the head on the flow bench and tell u how much u need it to flow to make it produce the power u want. then get that number, lift, duration and such, call up delta or colt cams, and tell them u want ur cam reground to this specs. and they will do it, also let them know the specs of your motor and the compression you have with the info that ur head is being worked on.