Thread: Tapping Valves

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5

Tapping Valves

Wow, it's been a year since I've had my car and constant valve tapping when accelerating uphills. It's to the point where I can't stand it anymore. I've tried Restore and Risilone to try to help it and it only lasts for a little while. The funny thing is that when it's less than probably 65-70 degrees out, it purrs like a kitten. I'm thinking that my timing belt might be stretched a bit and it's letting the valves open a little bit too long. My timing is advanced and I use 89 octane gas. I've tried 92 octane and it doesn't help either. Does that sound like a timing belt replacement soon or a valve adjustment? I've talked to Monro about the valve adjustment and was told that if it's been doing it for a while, the valve adjustment won't do anything. What's the deal? Help is greatly appreciated.
    No projects. Life consumes my time and money.

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    yo, ur car is designed for 87 octane, why do u need 89 anyways? what kinda engine oil do u use? reg 10-30 right? i dont think u will ever need a valve adjustment cause i have never heard anyone messing with it. check ur timing belt if its frayed. but i doubt the knocking is because of it. are u sure its ur valves tapping? if it was for a long time and its really valves, then ur car should be dead by now.

Vehicle
    85 Suburban, 86 Accord EX-i, 89 Accord SE-i, 90 Accord EX-R,
    Actually, that is exactly why you should get a valve adjustment. Nobody really does it because they either don't know they have to do it or doesn't think its important. I think the recommened interval was 30,000miles. I do mine once or twice a year. If it's never been done or hasn't been done for a long time, you'll notice a quieter and smoother running engine and maybe a bit more power. I did a how to so you might want to check that and try it yourself. Then you have nothing to loose since it's free.
    www.b20accord.com

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    may be ou should retarded your ingition. just a little it helped me.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    I do a valve adjustment once every two months... the day before tracks.

I think Monro needs some adjustment... and so does your valves.

what oil do you run?
    I use mobile 1 15w-30 super syn... but it's hella expensive... $6.50 a bottle.
    - llia

DX User
    Yes you better check your valve !! Because if you never adjusted you gone have a lot of lash that will cause your tapping noise.
    If you have problem with the timing belt your engine will run like shit or be already dead...

psur are engine is designed to run with 91 octane or more if your timing is advanced!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vehicle
    87 Accord EX , 5spd , Manual
    you better adjust your valves ! it's pretty easy in our cars !
    and check your ignition timing !

MIKE
    3geez member since October 4th 2001

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    What special tools would I need to do a valve adjustment? If it's really that simple, I'll tackle it myself. I know I need a timing light to adjust my timing but I don't want to buy one cause they're kinda expensive. Is that even right? I use regular Pennzoil 10W-30 motor oil. I put the high mileage stuff in the last time and was thinking about switching to synthetic. Thanks guys.

Vehicle
    85 Suburban, 86 Accord EX-i, 89 Accord SE-i, 90 Accord EX-R,
    You can pick up a cheap timing light off E-bay for $20. I got one but never use it.....Anyways, for adjusting the valves, you need a few basic tools (flat head, a couple of metric sockets) and a feeler gauge. It's a thing you can buy for about $5-$10 with a bunch of thin pieces of metal that are are certain thickness. Make sure you get the one with the right thickness ranges. I did a write up in the how-to section.
    www.b20accord.com

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    Cool beans. That's another reason why I don't want to get a timing light. It would basically be a wasted investment, especially on something I would use once. I can't piss away any money that easily.

1988starter
    Here https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4646
    the proper valve clearences thanks YK86

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Accord Lx - automatic-carb
    3G - 12 valve motors use a 12mm combination wrench, straight-blade screw-driver and feeler gauges to adjust valves.

Also helps to first remove all 4 spark plugs in order to facilitate engine rotation. Place a rag over each plug hole once the plug is removed to ensure nothing accidentally falls in a cyl.

Valves in these motors generally get TIGHTER and not looser. Tight valves cause power loss - valve remains slightly open, hence compression loss.
    Lester

LX User
    You say it runs like a kittin when its cold. I would verify cooling system is functioning correctly. 3-gs have a habit of running hot due to a thermostat stuck. Next time you go out, after reaching point of knock just feel all cooling hoses,they all should be around same temperture,if not theres a problem..All engines knock/tap when reaching very high temps.

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    The temp. gauge never moves. It's always in the same spot everytime. I just flushed and filled the coolant a few months ago as well.

Vehicle
    87 Accord EX , 5spd , Manual
    temp gauge may be faulty try disabling the thermostat and see if the tapping stops !

MIKE
    3geez member since October 4th 2001

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    I did the adjustment today. Christ, what an adventure! The valve cover gasket is a pain in the dick to get on. With a quick set of extra hands, I got it after several tries my self. The tapping has been mostly eliminated. I say mostly because there is a residual tap every once in a while. Nothing like it was before. I'll have to check the thermostat soon. I don't think the temp gauge is messed up because it has risen once before but who knows? I also had a spark plug in cylinder #1 that I was able to remove without a socket. Got that sucker in there tight now. I tried removing the A/C belt to give more a little more power, I couldn't get it off so I cut it and went for a little cruise to see any difference. Lo and behold, no power steering. I almost kicked myself in the ass for that one but I got a new belt and we're ready to go. Tomorrow is front brake rotors and tranny fluid. Fun fun.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX
    rofl!!!! Oops. Gotta hate that armstrong steering.
    89 Accord LX: Fram air Filter, Flipped lid, Bosch Platnum plugs, NGK 8mm wires, Accel coil (8140).

Things to come: Front and rear sway bars off SEi, Front and rear disc brakes off SEi, struts and springs, 4-2-1 manifold, 2.25" custom exaust, 16" rims (ROTA circit 8) with 205/45/R16 rubber (Falkon), clear taillights, new paint (this summer), custom cold air intake with box, oh ya, and fancy blue vacum lines