Thread: '88 LX-i slight shaking @45-65 mph (newbie here!!)

Vehicle
    1988 accord LX-I

'88 LX-i slight shaking @45-65 mph (newbie here!!)

im brand new here guys and any help/insight would be appreciated.....
    im actually new to the whole honda thing.(downtown detroit boy) i never had one before or ever considerd buying a japanese car. but the $200 price tag and 30+ mpg was to much to pass up in these days!!
    its a 1988 honda accord lx-i manual 5 speed 2.0 fi with only 95k miles........
    car runs great!! actually runs better than my 98 grand cherokee.
    i replaced the plugs,wires,air filter and oil so far(typical stuff)
    also replaced the drivers side axle (and tie rod) due to the cv boot being torn
    my question is this... when im doing between 45 and 65 mph the car seems to be shaky. but the steering wheel doesent wobble or shake at all. its like the whole car has a weird tremble to it. below 45 mph it feels fine
    and after i get to 70+ mph it stops and drives like a 2005 caddy with no shaking whatsoever! what the hell could it be? only shakes between 45-65!! i never heard of such a thing. i heard people saying my convertor was plugged. is this possible? thanks for any help............
    Last edited by detroit313; 09-03-2005 at 08:19 AM.

Vehicle
    72 145s my dad has the million k 87 lx
    only in 5 gear it only does that to you right?

Vehicle
    '89 Accord Lxi Hatch
    Shakes like steering/alignment, or like pulsing from the engine or transmission? More or less, is it doing it side to side or front and back? Had an alignment check? All tires balanced? The alignment should have been done after the cv shaft replacement and tie rod install. These cars handle extremely well, but are prone to be pissy when even slightly out of alignment. Oh, and you might want to change your fuel filter. Just to get that warm fuzzy feeling. Welcome to the board! You made a sweet buy. These cars last FOREVER if taken care of.
    W.T.F?

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i Sedan; 1998 BMW 540i/6
    my car does also shake a bit, but it's more the faster i go, not really in that range. although, if i remember correctly, there is a bit more in that range (i haven't driven it in over two weeks because i'm out of state for college).

Vehicle
    1988 accord LX-I

thanks!!...........i have a MPG question

thanks for the info guys!!
    its more like a side to side shaking.
    tires look good except for the rear drivers side,kinda bald.(gonna replace this weekend) the others look new! i havent done any kind of alignment. im assuming it was done after the tie rod/axle replacement?
    when i let go of the wheel there is no kind of pulling so im assuming the alignment is ok.
    im gonna change the fuel filter this weekend. havent thought of that,thanks!
    ill let you guys know how it goes.....one more question,i get about 430 miles to a full tank of gas. is that normal for these cars? or is it low? im assuming the tank is about 15 gallons?

i really appreciate all the information!!

1 out of balance wheel
    2 bad halfshaft, usually only shakes under acceleration
    Eric
    3geez member since October 12, 2000
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i Sedan; 1998 BMW 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by detroit313
    thanks for the info guys!!
    its more like a side to side shaking.
    tires look good except for the rear drivers side,kinda bald.(gonna replace this weekend) the others look new! i havent done any kind of alignment. im assuming it was done after the tie rod/axle replacement?
    when i let go of the wheel there is no kind of pulling so im assuming the alignment is ok.
    im gonna change the fuel filter this weekend. havent thought of that,thanks!
    ill let you guys know how it goes.....one more question,i get about 430 miles to a full tank of gas. is that normal for these cars? or is it low? im assuming the tank is about 15 gallons?

i really appreciate all the information!!
    that mileage is maybe a little above average. i'm pushing the empty light by about 295. so don't complain, especially since there's talk of $4 gas in the near future.

Vehicle
    1988 accord LX-I

gas mileage

cool! so im doing good with the MPG! i never got 430 miles in my jeep for $27 in gas.
    speaking of which,gas just sprang up here in Detroit to around $3.20 a gallon everywhere you look!!
    its getting out of hand. $4 just might be around the corner............

Vehicle
    1988 accord LX-I

problem solved!!

looks like you smart MoFo's in here were right on the money.
    it was my bald ass lumped up tire. upon further inspection it was lumpy as hell!
    i would have bet anything it was something with my front end! instead it was a cheap $20 used tire fix. with only 95k on the car i guess the fron end has a ways to go before i have problems like that considering all the good shit i hear about these cars........
    i wouldnt expect a rear tire to give the whole car the shakes like that. thanks for the help guys...........

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 LX, 17"x7.5" Enkei 205/40's, Custom fabbed Seamless body front to back, shaved trunk, waiting for 3-Stage Candy paint to be applied

Thumbs up

I've had this problem: usually upper control arms, or tie-rod ends

Front End Shake:

- upper control arms worn
    - jack car up and pull left to right on control arm to hub assemble
    should not move around
    - tie-rod end
    - jack car up and grabe tire with both hand and shack back and forth
    should not move arount
    - router out of balance
    - worn wheel bearing (push top of tire with foot side ways to rock car (shouldn't here any sounds/movement)
    - lose hub nut on driver shaft to hub ass.
    -wheel out of balance

Rear End Shake:

- upper control arm worn out
    - jack car up and grab tire with both hand and shack back and forth
    should not move arount

- worn rear hub bearings
    - wheel out of balance

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 LX, 17"x7.5" Enkei 205/40's, Custom fabbed Seamless body front to back, shaved trunk, waiting for 3-Stage Candy paint to be applied
    Just listed to help other out:

others....wow I'm half a sleep...sorry
    Last edited by HostileJava; 05-10-2006 at 03:57 AM.