Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: >>My 6 puck clutch problems!!!<<

Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord LXI 5speed

>>My 6 puck clutch problems!!!<<

Well i put a clutch specialties 6 puck clutch in my car the other day and had some problems. I installed it no prob but when i went to adjust the clutch cable something went wrong.

I had the clutch adjusted perfectly so i thought and i was pushing on the pedal a few times and something felt like it popped or something else went wrong. Suddenly i had tons of slack in the cable and i had to take all of the slack out until i couldnt adjust it any more. Well the clutch is working fine but it grips like right off the floor and it kinda bugs because i want it to grip alittle farther off the floor but i cant lossen the cable any more because it looses slack??

So i took off the cable and pulled on the lever that moves the throw out bearing on the input shaft and i can push the lever up and down about 2 inches before i cant pull it up and more. SO what could this be???

Here is a pic of the cable and all the slack i had to take out of it.

http://www.myspace.com/3364524

b20accord SN on honda-tech,homemadeturbo,clubcivic,turbod16, and many more

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    Pressure plate or throwout bearing could be fucked.
    No projects. Life consumes my time and money.

Vehicle
    1987 Ex-i 89 SE-i
    i dont think its the pressure plate, i would figure it to be either the throw out bearing or the leaver inside that moves the throwout bearing, just my 2 cents
    -Who needs horse power when you got icy roads and bald tires

-To drift a car is to create reckless art

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation
    is the arm for the cable at the tranny loose or could it be the pedal or the cable itself?
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter
    is the arm for the cable at the tranny loose or could it be the pedal or the cable itself?

the arm that moves the throw out bearing in and out move about 2 inches or so until its stiff and i cant pull it.

Vehicle
    FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i actually fixed it by sticking big washers inbetween the adjuster and the cable and it allowed me to tighten it down more and it worked good.

But now i got bigger problems. I killed my third gear racing a civic si. I missed third gear since im still getting use to this clutch because ive only had it in for 2 days and i killed my third gear compelty. It grinds horribly into third now! FUCK!!!

Vehicle
    1990 CRX, 1992 Honda Civic DX (sold, then stolen! :(), 1988 Honda Accord LX (sold + missed :()
    You need to stop bein so rough on the clutch! Haha. A new 3rd gear shouldnt be too expensive from a yard. You just have to rebuild your tranny, lol.

Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by Acid X
    You need to stop bein so rough on the clutch! Haha. A new 3rd gear shouldnt be too expensive from a yard. You just have to rebuild your tranny, lol.

Yea, lol. But where you gonna find a b20a tranny in a junkyard lol.

Vehicle
    Traded in: 1988 Accord LX New car: 04 Jetta GLI
    Quote Originally Posted by adams86lxi
    Yea, lol. But where you gonna find a b20a tranny in a junkyard lol.
    haha i was thinking the same thing, theres a guy selling a b20a with a tranny in the marketplace, id try getting just the tranny from him if you can.
    Kevin

Vehicle
    1990 CRX, 1992 Honda Civic DX (sold, then stolen! :(), 1988 Honda Accord LX (sold + missed :()
    Oh yeah. Forgot about the b20a tranny. I think its really going to cost alot of money to fix that. Unless you can somehow find an adapter or summin' to another tranny.

Vehicle
    85 accord (2x DCOE) 88 Nova (4AGZE + msII) 98 Jetta TDI
    It's probably just the syncro thats gone on 3rd, maybe the fork two. The gears are constant mesh and hardened steel so they usually come out of this fine. The syncro is brass and alot easier to damage. Take the syncro out and hope that honda used a similar part on something they sold stateside. A good tranny shop might be able to help you on this.

andy

Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by PhydeauX
    It's probably just the syncro thats gone on 3rd, maybe the fork two. The gears are constant mesh and hardened steel so they usually come out of this fine. The syncro is brass and alot easier to damage. Take the syncro out and hope that honda used a similar part on something they sold stateside. A good tranny shop might be able to help you on this.

andy

Yea, i think thats what im going to have to try. I know its just the syncro but i kinda want to replace the whole second gear and third. Because those are the gears that have been taking alot of abuse lately.

Accord of the Year - 2009

Vehicle
    Accord 2.0i-16 '87 - Accord Aerodeck EXi '89
    Carotman made a good faq about what tranny partnumbers for the B20A was available in the US: https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=43448

Looks like you cant get the syncro though, atleast not by comparing partnumbers but you might get lucky and find something that matches even though the part numbers are different.
    Some people get syncros shot peened to make them stronger, and it seems to work.

Link to my 3geez garage
    • Accord 2.0i-16 '87 B20A2 DOHC 16v
    • Accord Aerodeck EXi '89 Exclusive Edition

Vehicle
    85 accord (2x DCOE) 88 Nova (4AGZE + msII) 98 Jetta TDI
    I'd bet the actual gears are fine. The syncros handle most of the abuse. To each his own though. If you get really bored you could try to see if parts from other b-series trannies will swap into the b20 trans like I did for the a20 trans. You may even be able to regear the whole trans, who knows. I'm sure some ppl here will love you for it.

andy

Vehicle
    '89 Accord Lxi Hatch
    I've been playing around with the idea of swapping a few, if not all, of the gears out. Let me know how it pans out. Good luck.
    W.T.F?

Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by PhydeauX
    I'd bet the actual gears are fine. The syncros handle most of the abuse. To each his own though. If you get really bored you could try to see if parts from other b-series trannies will swap into the b20 trans like I did for the a20 trans. You may even be able to regear the whole trans, who knows. I'm sure some ppl here will love you for it.

andy
    yea, seing how the B16A diff. fits the B20A tranny I would also choose to look into the B series tranny parts.

Link to my 3geez garage

Vehicle
    well ok here is the problem i have been driving it for awhile now even with third messed up and here is my new problem i am having.

It seems to drive about the same but now there is about 1 1/2 inches of just limpness to the top of the pedal. Im thinking it probbaly is the cable so maybe i will try that next.

o and when you push the pedal down it feels real grainy. Sorry but thats the only way i can describe the way it feels.

Vehicle
    anyone??^^^

Vehicle
    Is there any noise coming from the tranny with either the clutch depressed or pushed down?

Did you loosen the arm that holds the throwout bearing from it's axle when you replaced the clutch?

Try unhooking the cable from the tranny and see if the wire inside moves freely back and forth.

Link to my 3geez garage

Vehicle
    88 accord lxi hatchback
    The cable is about to snap completely. Just replace it, the're cheap and easy to install. The cable is progressively getting longer(streching, wires breaking), thats why it feels grainy, you feel the broken wires inside the sheath rubbing.
    PhydeauX is right about the gears. You probably just hashed the sychro ring on third gear. I've rebuilt a dozen or more honda trannies thru the years and have rarely seen a bad gear. Even on ones that grind badly. Honda sychros are pretty weak to begin with, plus yours are how old? You drive it hard, too.
    Best Price on Clutch Repair in the Tri-Valley

http://www.trivalleyclutch.com/3gparts

OEM quality parts for your 3Gee

SEi User
    Vehicle
    swifts/sprints boosted
    Just curious, but with the car off and you put it in 3rd gear. Hit the clutch in and start it up, can you let the clutch out slowly and feel the car move? If so, its just the synchro, and not the gear. Right?

Vehicle
    88 accord lxi hatchback
    Doing that does not really test the gears or sychros. You're just feeling the clutch engage. The gears are already meshed.
    You need to drive it and shift it thru the gears test the trans.

www.trivalleyclutch.com/3gparts

Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdane
    Is there any noise coming from the tranny with either the clutch depressed or pushed down?

Did you loosen the arm that holds the throwout bearing from it's axle when you replaced the clutch?

Try unhooking the cable from the tranny and see if the wire inside moves freely back and forth.

no noise from the clutch at all. I put a brand new clutch cable on it yesterday and the old one was toast. But it still didnt fix my problem. I still have all the slack out of the cable with abunch of washers and it still barely disnengages. I tightened it down again and now my new cable feels alittle grainy and i cant figure this shit out at all!!!!!!!!!

Vehicle
    88 accord lxi hatchback
    Ok, new cable, same problem. Stick your head under the dash
    with a flashlite and look at the cable stop on the clutch pedal bracket. Push the pedal up and down and look for flex in the bracket. It may be cracked. Look for cracks. If you see it moving AT ALL, replace it. If you don't find a problem there, well, it may be time to rip the trans out again. Sorry.

Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by cardoc33
    Ok, new cable, same problem. Stick your head under the dash
    with a flashlite and look at the cable stop on the clutch pedal bracket. Push the pedal up and down and look for flex in the bracket. It may be cracked. Look for cracks. If you see it moving AT ALL, replace it. If you don't find a problem there, well, it may be time to rip the trans out again. Sorry.

thanks for your help bro. Ill check it out and let you know what i find.