Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: >>My 6 puck clutch problems!!!<<

SEi User
    Vehicle
    swifts/sprints boosted
    Doing that does not really test the gears or sychros. You're just feeling the clutch engage. The gears are already meshed.
    You need to drive it and shift it thru the gears test the trans.
    How would it not test the gears? If its actually fucked it wont do anything when you try to slip the clutch to the wheels. 3rd gear wouldnt be good on the clutch to go from a stop, but if the car moves you know the gear isnt fucked.

Vehicle
    88 accord lxi hatchback
    Well, technicaly, you are correct. It tells us the gear isn't totally stripped(teeth off). If that were the case, he would have mucho noise in 3rd gear. Lots of noise, while in gear, not when shifting into gear. And that is where the difference is. His problem was grinding into gear. That is a function of the synchomesh ring and it's mating teeth on 3rd gear. The driving teeth on the gear is separate from the sychro teeth.
    So, yes, it does test the gear, but not the part we are talking about.
    Best Price on Clutch Repair in the Tri-Valley

http://www.trivalleyclutch.com/3gparts

OEM quality parts for your 3Gee

SEi User
    Vehicle
    swifts/sprints boosted
    Well, technicaly, you are correct. It tells us the gear isn't totally stripped(teeth off). If that were the case, he would have mucho noise in 3rd gear. Lots of noise, while in gear, not when shifting into gear. And that is where the difference is. His problem was grinding into gear. That is a function of the synchomesh ring and it's mating teeth on 3rd gear. The driving teeth on the gear is separate from the sychro teeth.
    So, yes, it does test the gear, but not the part we are talking about.
    Right, yeah but he was saying he destroyed 3rd gear or whatever. There is also a small chance that if the gear was all fubared, it would grind and make noises and not neccisarily(sp) be the synchro. I mean on the small off chance the gear was royaled fucked up, it would grind when trying to engage.

But your right, its trailing away from the problem, I apologize. Carry on, I dont really have anything else to say I suppose. Good luck man

EDIT: And Im just speaking from common sense and my limited knowledge of transmissions. So it was just an idea.

Vehicle
    88 accord lxi hatchback
    That's cool, not trying to get down on you, just wanted to clear up a possible misconception and to help him understand what might be happening. It's hard enough to diagnose over the phone when I'm talking to a customer, let alone a forum such as this.
    Please, always, express your ideas. Don't let me or anyone else tell you not to. It's your right as a member of this forum.(sorry, that's the Dad in me speaking.

Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord LXI 5speed
    yea, i tore my tranny out today and i dont really see anything wrong? The throw out bearing is moving alittle rough on the input shaft but other then that i dont know what is wrong?

Someone told me that i could of over tightend the pressure plate? could this possibly be the problem?
    http://www.myspace.com/3364524

b20accord SN on honda-tech,homemadeturbo,clubcivic,turbod16, and many more

Vehicle
    88 accord lxi hatchback
    Did you ever look under your dash at the pedal bracket?

There is no such thing as "overtightening" your pressure plate.

If everything looked OK in the bellhousing, then your problem has to be in the pedal assy or cable.

Then again, it could be the nut behind the wheel.