Thread: just broke 3 half inch drives...

Vehicle
    89 accord lxi

just broke 3 half inch drives...

...in the space of an hour trying to get the hub nut off my dx. i swear the beater is cursed. actually, i broke a 1/2" craftsmen ratchet, a 3/4" to 1/2" adapter, a 1/2" extension, and a 1/2" breaker bar. i also used up half a bottle of a propane torch.

how come nobody has a 32mm socket for a 3/4" drive?!!
    Originally Posted by Justanothermike
    my A20 is not SLOW. ur A20 is slow.

Vehicle
    87 3G RIP, 95 KA7, 95 5G Coupe
    do away with the adapters and extensions...you gotta get some grown man 3/4" sockets, they're out there....

Vehicle
    89 accord lxi
    where can i get one of those? i know ace or sears doesn't have them. all the 3/4" sockets they have are standard

Vehicle
    '89 Accord Lxi Hatch
    Craftsman is the 3/4 32mm socket that I used. Also, another way to do it would be to use a air impact socket with a breaker bar. Much tougher sockets. Still not enough torque? I used this setup and found it difficult to break it loose, so I used a 3 ft length of pipe over the end of the breaker bar to increase leverage. Only took one hand at the end of the pipe to get it. I supported the joint of the breaker bar on a jackstand and held it there with my foot. Low tech but it worked. Other than that, penetrating oil overnight helps. Then a few whacks with a hammer, another application of oil, and hopefully you'll get it loose. Good luck.
    W.T.F?

Vehicle
    89 accord lxi
    yeah it figures, they didn't have any at the sears i was just at. the socket's not the problem really it's the drive that's breaking. i tried a breaker bar (1/2") and it held a little more torque than the others but it still snapped. oh, and i'm using a 4' pipe for leverage.

on my lx-i the original nuts came off easy. well not easy but i probably only used about 150ft/lbs to get it loose. i don't know what this car's problem is; it doesn't like me or something.

2 1/2 in drive ratchets, 1 1/2 drive breaker bar, 1/2 in impact gun, propane, map gas, hammer, cursing, just about pissed on it. Finally did the tranny with them installed. Oh and swing buy bnb parts or napa they have the generic impact sockets 32mm was like 3 bucks and is still holding stron minus the damage to all my 1/2 stuff. Worst thing is I broke a 10 year old commercial ratchet and like an idiot wanted it replaced the next day so i settled for a lower model they stocked. Now I have to special order it again just to have it. It had an oil fitting on the top and an adjustable drag setting. Very nice

Vehicle
    89 accord lxi
    maybe i should piss on it?

Vehicle
    88 LXi
    Quote Originally Posted by Strugglebucket
    where can i get one of those? i know ace or sears doesn't have them. all the 3/4" sockets they have are standard
    off the top of my head 1 1/4 inch is very very close but realy you ll need an impact gun to get it off.

wp

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box
    1.25 is what i used. actually fit better than the 32mm. grab that and a 3/4 breaker bar.

Vehicle
    1991 Subaru XT6 AWD, 1988 Subaru XT6 AWD
    One of mine was stuck on the Hondamino last week. I broke a 24" 1/2 inch breaker bar at the joint (with a 32mm Craftsman socket). I went down to Sears and bought an 18" breaker bar ($30!) and put a 4ft pipe on the end and that was enough to do it. You may also try rubbing a candle over the nut after you heat it up with MAPP or propane; sometimes the wax can get down into the cracks and help you out a little bit.

Vehicle
    89 accord lxi
    thanks the advice. i think i'll pick up a 1¼" socket with a 3/4" drive. i have a 3/4" t-bar i can use with it...if i break that i'll be amazed.

get ready to be ammazed. I spent 20 minutes with a 1/2 drive impact gun after penetration oil, heat everything and got nothing. Im not buying a 1 in gun just for this so if they fail Ill junk the entire arm and all and get another. Im done with it.
    NO MORE EAST COAST CARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vehicle
    89 accord lxi
    i got it off, yay.

1¼" socket with a ¾" t-bar, 4' pipe, and a propane torch did the trick. i still had to pully it REALLY hard even with the 4' pipe. the wheel came up off the ground before the nut broke loose!