Thread: About this whole B20A engine swap thing...

DX User
    Vehicle
    86 Accord LX-I Hatcher

About this whole B20A engine swap thing...

That Aussie importer is looking very good. 50 hp gains from a $800 investment is looking very tasty. But there is so much info scattered around the forums here it's confusing me. I have some questions.

Would I need engine mounts? I'm pretty sure I would, but This is just a accord engine from another country right. Mabey it's the same fit, different engine. I wouldn't know.

I read that they are only selling Auto trannys with the engine. I also read that my old 5-speed wont work. I also heard a theroy on prelude 5-speeds working on the B20A. In my opinion autos aren't an option.So where would I find a 5-speed tranny that would fit?

Also, one last thing. If I were to get this engine. I would need help. Lots of it. Could I count on your guys to lend an ear and guide me through it?

Vehicle
    93 civic
    i believe the rear engine mount is different.

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Coupe
    I think its the rear engine mount thats different, and all others are the same.

I however have heard several different things on the tranny issue. 1 being that he a20 tranny will work, 1 being that a tranny from a 2nd gen 'lude would work, and 1 being that neither will work... so i dont know, someone like rob will have to answer that for us. Or mykwikcoupe i think it is, hes working on a b20turbo i believe.

finally im so pleased Im referred to as a turbo project. thanks man. No really engine mounts are all the same its the tranny mount that different. The b20a came with an intermediat shaft so shorter cv alxes could be used but you can reuse the stock a20a ones if you dont have an intermediate shaft. The auto arent bad if your keeping it stock I dont think honda auto like alot of extra power and abuse. Ive heard anyways. The 5 speeds are VERY hard to come by. If you find one buy it anyways you never know how desperate someone will be in the future. Rob said he had one that doesnt work as well as hed like but does work so for the right price hed part with it. As far as info the oldtimers are a filecabinet of knowledge. The search button works great so as far as help id say its here in full ofrce just dont ask stupid questions like how much power to I get by flipping my airbox? Anyway Im waiting to see how there first t ransaction goes and if he gets it in a timely manner and pics look good Ill porbbably send them a check for the rest fo them just to have. Turbos are hard on parts

if all goes right i will be ordering mine by the end of the week

DX User
    Vehicle
    86 Accord LX-I Hatcher
    Quote Originally Posted by ZackieDarko
    if all goes right i will be ordering mine by the end of the week
    Mabey me too. However that tranny question is way up in the air. I really don't want to get auto. I mean I REALLY dont want too. I think i'll get the engine and if worst comes to worst, I'll still be able to sell it.

Vehicle
    18 yr old Prelude, the one with the pop up headlamps. B20 (prototype for the 3g Prelude) ...but in the lighter car, with big brakes
    I've done the swap and converted my car to FI. If i had to do it all again i wouldnt use the 20yr old B20A! I would use a B18 or B20B and numerous Hasport kits.
    Nobody seems to of pointed out yet that you also need the front crossmember and tiebars unless they found a way of getting around it.
    I live in the UK and have numerous B20A parts... Gearboxes/stripped blocks/stripped heads all for the B20A1 137hp if anybody wants any cams, rods, cranks, ecu's, axles etc,etc? but you would have to pay for shipping answell!
    There will soon be my high 14's B20A1 up for sale soon too

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i Sedan; 1998 BMW 540i/6
    does the b20a1 even fit in the accords?

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX
    yes

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

Accord of the Year - 2008

Vehicle
    89 Accord No Motor and 88 Accord HB LX-i
    I talked to the Aussie importer it not a bad price But they said they would ship as far as L.A that it i would half to go get it .That 8hr for me DAM that sucks
    LX-R coming soon Here's a hint. 89mm stroke/ 41.60cc head /ARP head & main stud's /SRP piston's 81.5mm 9:5:1/Crower Rod's & more to come

LXi User
    Vehicle
    1986 prelude
    well civvy i did the swap in my lude and i didnt have a problem with the front crossmembers at all thats only if u have a dx is when u have the problem
    rhd restoration 2nd gen prelude