Thread: help!!!

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 honda accord dx hatchback

help!!!

I have a 87 accord DX and it doesnt like to rev. if i hold it to the floor it revs but onc ei take my foot off it wonr rev at all. you can immagine how annoying this is when you shift. once i take my foot off the gas to shift it wont rev anymore unless i really stomp on it. what does this sound like to you?

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord LX-I 4spd Automatic.
    Hmmm, let me think....

Maybe your throttle cable? Check that first. Make sure its not stuck for wrapped around anything in the engine bay..
    "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    Please explain it a little better... how doesn the pedal feel when you press it... like what is the resistance.

Is the problem RPM dependent?
    Like it only happens at 2000 or 4000 RPM

You're carbed so along side your throttle cable you should check:
    Your booster venturies.
    You'll have to spend some time looking through this thread:
    https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=8972

- llia

DX User
    Vehicle
    the pedal feels fine. its just i have to pump it inbetween shifts if i let off the gas too much. i have to hold the gas down when i shift or i get no pedal response. it doesnt like to rev from a dead stop either.

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    you may want to check your carb. I may be dirty or some parts of it loose.
    Alex.

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 LXi sedan, 92 Legend LS sedan, 85 CRX HF (future project)
    Quote Originally Posted by alexkol
    the pedal feels fine. its just i have to pump it inbetween shifts if i let off the gas too much. i have to hold the gas down when i shift or i get no pedal response. it doesnt like to rev from a dead stop either.
    Almost sounds like the accelerator pump. when you give it gas does it stumble for a while and then finally get going good, or is it just weak all the time?

To check the accelerator pump, with the engine off, remove the air cleaner cover (or the whole air cleaner if you're by yourself) use your Bic lighter very close to the intake of the carb No! just kidding! use a flashlight!!! look into the carb while pumping the gas pedal, as the pedal is pushed, a small stram of gas should squirt into the carb. Try not to push the pedal more than twice as you will flood the engine if you pump it too much...

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    i'd vote for the accelerator pump too
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

Vehicle
    1987/honda accord lx
    try some carb cleaner, spray it in the carb and all around the throttle linkage and any moving parts outside the carb, if that dosnt help rebuild it, especially if its never been rebuilt and theres alot of miles it would be a good idea to rebuild, also check both fuel filters may be getting poor fuel flow good luck
    oh shhhii....dont tell anyone

SEi User
    Vehicle
    swifts/sprints boosted
    Try carb cleaner for sure. Can you get it (by holding the gas) to idle at 1500 steady? Does it misfire? I'm almost tempted to say check your vacuum lines...

DX User
    Vehicle
    carb cleaner sounds like a good idea. i already replaced all my faulty vac lines and im gonna check on the other suggestions you fellas had

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    There is a spring on the accelerator pump arm that gets weak... I replaced mine with a new stiffer one and it gave much quicker response.
    Also the diaphragm on the accel pump can leak.
    Also there is a little ball valve that may get clogged, the ball valve is supposed to let gas flow from the float bowl to the accel pump diaphragm but when the diaphragm is compressed the fuel flow closes the ball valve so that the fuel doesn't flow back into the float bowl, but goes to the carb barrel.

If the carb top hat gasket is leaking then it can also cause problems with fuel delivery.
    - llia