Vehicle
    '88 Accord LX-i
    Looks like a nice clean build, its nice to see a 2g getting a makeover
    '88 LX-i Coupe --- LS/Vtec
    '08 Accord EX-L 6-6 --- Daily Duty

Vehicle
    Accord 88 LXi Coupe

Talking A20 Rebuild Project Pics

Sorry to be a post whore...but I meant to make this post here and not in the Market. I updated my Cardomain page tonight so checkout. I have a new poll up too, be sure to vote. Please leave your comments and I will checkout your rides too. Let me know if you have any questions I still have a ways to go with the rebuild. This is gonna be a "resticifaction" car so any input you have is great. No time for Rice...only Rally

Oh yeah real quickie...is there anyway to determine where the engine block was cast? Are their Japanese and US made A20 blocks or did only the JDM's come from Japan? Do the serial #s hold the answer?

"The Future is Unwritten" -Strummer

"speed costs money, so gaffer tape and cable ties will suffice"-Peasant Tuning

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box
    the beginnings of a monster...

i would like to see that thing... hell, you're not far from me... maybe you tampa guys can set up a minimeet and we can check that beast out

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    So you bought one of the Dual A20A DCOE manifolds on Honda-Tech or made your own?
    - llia

Vehicle
    1989 LXI Coupe Kswap, 1989 LXI Bswap
    keep up the work, if you come accross any resources on how to rebuild some solex addhe carbs let me know
    Style Quality Uniqueness And Design
    S.Q.U.A.D. Engineering
    www.squadengineering.com

http://www.facebook.com/squadengineering

Vehicle
    Accord 88 LXi Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by h0ndavtec
    keep up the work, if you come accross any resources on how to rebuild some solex addhe carbs let me know
    I believe Mikuni/Solex's are simular to Webers in most operations, I'm concentrating on strictly DCOEs but if you have any particular Carb questions I might be able to help. Phydeux seems real knowledgable about Carbs too.

Awhile back when the hatchback was running under ES power I took it to the Honda Dealer for an oil change. I told the mechanic I was gonna do a Weber conversion, and he was all "No, no, no, use Mikunis". I hear that Mikunis are a bit more stable and reliable than Webers. Tuning performance carbs is something of a black art I suppose.

Vehicle
    ???
    you might as well cut the head down some. Its cheap, easy hp. Ive got mine shaved .05 but that is about the max you can go.
    I havent forgotten my roots

Vehicle
    1989 LXI Coupe Kswap, 1989 LXI Bswap
    i heard the solex are better for beginners. they are esier to turn. i had 3 so i took one apart and it seem simple but i still dont know anything about carbs so i still have to either ask questions or read up, the only problem is i have a hard time reading and understanding, i need things explained to me
    Style Quality Uniqueness And Design
    S.Q.U.A.D. Engineering
    www.squadengineering.com

http://www.facebook.com/squadengineering

Vehicle
    88 Accord
    Looks good!

What intake manifold are you going to be using? Aaron at weirRacing made one for my DCOE's. you can check it out here- http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1161419&page=1
    I believe he is selling them for $250 (awesome deal for the amount of labor involved in making one of these)
    Email him at [email protected] if you are interested. tell him that Patrick sent you.

Vehicle
    `89 Accord LXi
    good job! what intake manifold r u going to use??
    Be nice to your Honda. If you or anyone you know harms or hurts a honda dial 1-800-hondabuse.

Vehicle
    Accord 88 LXi Coupe

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 2old_honda
    Looks good!

What intake manifold are you going to be using? Aaron at weirRacing made one for my DCOE's. you can check it out here- http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1161419&page=1
    I believe he is selling them for $250 (awesome deal for the amount of labor involved in making one of these)
    Email him at [email protected] if you are interested. tell him that Patrick sent you.
    His manifold doesn't look half bad and $250 is about the price that ready-mades were going for dual DCOE Honda ES motor manifolds. The plan is designing one from scratch in the upcoming weeks. It will be a big moment for this build. My design engineer is attempting to design and fabricate it out of one piece billet-aluminum. My hope is to add nitrous ports for future upgrades. If all goes well I'll be a happy hondaboy and there wil be plenty of pics, I'm sure.

Vehicle
    Accord 88 LXi Coupe

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by 2old_honda
    Looks good!

How is your set up running? Hmmm, what vehicle are you running it in? Oh yeah I have more Weber questions too...40's or 45's and what are you tuning for torque or top end speed? If you have pics of your set up that would be cool too. Phydeux and rjudgey are the only other DCOEheads I've encounter on here. Glad to see more of us!!! Keep em' flowin'!!!

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    Quote Originally Posted by h0ndavtec
    i heard the solex are better for beginners. they are esier to turn. i had 3 so i took one apart and it seem simple but i still dont know anything about carbs so i still have to either ask questions or read up, the only problem is i have a hard time reading and understanding, i need things explained to me

I thought it was Mikuni's were easier then Webers... but there is nothing wrong with either of them.
    - llia

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i Sedan; 1998 BMW 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by hondamotorz
    looks good man hopefully i will get my motor rebuilt soon i already have 212,000 miles on it but its a honda it will last longer
    yes, i must say the same. i'm fast approaching 215k on my a20a3 and it's running well enough. could be better, but it works for now.

Vehicle
    Accord 88 LXi Coupe

Question A20A3 hybrid drive shaft swap

As most of you know I'm doing a DCOE x2 A20A3 swap into my 84 Hatchback. Perhaps you can help (Phydeaux if you're still about).This is an issue I wrestled with in the beginning and soon will be a problem that I have to deal with. I know its possible to rebuild 84-85 Accord shafts with G3 splines at the inboard end but does anyone know for sure if the 85 Se-i shafts have G2 outboard/G3 inboard splines. Is it a combo shaft or did the Se-i (ES3 powered) use a 3G type transmission/differential with G3 splines across the board and have 3G diameter hubs. I find it hard to believe that Honda would cast a special 85 Se-i knuckle/hub with larger bearings.

According to my 85 service manual the Se-i had larger inboard spring clips (splines too!) than the carbed ES2 but doesn't mention a size difference at the outboard side. The only 85 Se-i that I seen up close (they're so rare) was at the junkyard and I didn't examine the outboard spline diameter carefully cause we were concentrating on extracting the immaculate leather interior. When I came back the 3rd time to look at the Se-i drivetrain it was gone! I think someone realised what the car was and bought the whole car with the untouched engine!

Anyway if anyone knows for sure then I can buy the 85 Se-i shafts rebuilt from Advance for a good deal and I won't have to get messy with axle grease and new boots. Those Se-i shafts are different part numbers than both the 2 and 3 Gee standard and auto transmissions. The damn rebuild kit is almost as much as the whole reman. shaft minus the core charge. Thanks Geeez

SEi User

Driveshafts

If i remember correctly phydeux changed the diff from the 2G into the 3G box then he could use his shafts? Does that sound right? Thats pretty much how i understand from what he told me and also on the Hybrid Teg box info. Hope that helps?

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    Last edited by A20A1; 03-29-2005 at 12:52 PM.
    - llia

Vehicle
    Accord 88 LXi Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by A20A1
    Thanks that does help a bit but they really didn't discuss drive shafts in detail. I've PMed Andy (Phydeaux) before and got no response. I'll try to get ahold of him because he seems to be the 2g/3g hybrid expert. I haven't gotten to the drive shaft issue in my rebuild yet but the time will come soon and I'd like to have some tech support on hand.

If anyone is interested I'm going to convert 2G shock/spring assemblies to accomodate a more modern suspension setup with Koni adjustable hydrolic inserts and coilovers. I'll post pics after this weekend after I do the machine work on the 2G struts.

Vehicle
    85 accord (2x DCOE) 88 Nova (4AGZE + msII) 98 Jetta TDI
    I thought I responded to that pm. Oh well. I got around the problem originally by using an 85 prelude dx tranny. The 2g axles pop right into it. Then when I built the hybrid teg tranny I used the diff from the prelude since the teg diff was too big. I never bothered to hybrid the axles since I didn't have to. I've seen a couple 2g SE-is but I've never bothered to look close enough at them to see if they have bigger axles. I'm surprised that honda used a larger axles spline on the SE-i. The prelude motor was rated for about the same output as the SE-i and it kept with the smaller splines. It makes no sense to me why honda would have built new beefier parts for the SE-i. But what ever they have no reason to justify a decision they made 20 years ago to me. Anyway if the axles are indeed diferent and do fit in the a20 trans then what you should be able to do is swap the steering knuckles from a SE-i on. These are usually available as a whole reman part with new bearings.

I'd been pondering doing something with strut inserts for a while. I rember there being in an argument with jim about the existance of strut inserts and I decided to stop discussing it on the board since it was just fanning flames. That was a while ago and I was looking into doing koni inserts on my 2g. It never happend since I didn't and still don't have the skills or equipment to perpair the bodies for inserts. The idea has come up again for my nova project, the accord being religated to running pretty much in a strait line now I don't care much about the suspension. Recently I came across these http://www.advance-design.com/. They come in a bunch of different sizes, externally double adjustable, and you can do your own rebuilds and revalves, thats a bunch of plus's but they cost $400 a piece which will keep me a way for a while. Pictures would be useful to see what is involved. My fronts already use inserts so I would only have to the backs.

andy
    Last edited by PhydeauX; 03-30-2005 at 02:08 PM.

Vehicle
    Accord 88 LXi Coupe

Cool A20A Reuild + Swap , 2nd Gen Accord , Weber Carbed

Here are some pics of the A20...its far from done as you can see. But at least its progress. I'll put this stuff up with commentary later on Cardomain. I need to take more pics cause we actually dropped it in yesterday. The mounts all line up except a few issues with the lower tranny mount and we have to adapt the front beam to take the 3 Gee hydro mount. Oh yeah checkout the sweet homemade motor craddle my friend made with some scraps! Its a breeze to work on...just put it on the fork truck and raise it to work height.

Last edited by phrenology; 05-25-2005 at 07:28 AM.

Vehicle
    93 civic
    Looks good. I cant wait to meet you someday.

Vehicle
    89 honda accord LX
    wow that is clean.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Busted_Blue
    Looks good. I cant wait to meet you someday.
    werd
    3geez for life.

Vehicle
    Weber Powered 88 Accord LX
    cleanest a20 I have seen

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    Looks great except for the red timing belt cover.
    No projects. Life consumes my time and money.