Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A20A Reuild + Swap , 2nd Gen Accord , Weber Carbed

Vehicle
    Accord 88 LXi Coupe

2nd Gen A20 Swap Concerns

I've been having problems with my Power Steering system in my 84 Accord LX Hatchback. I discovered through posts on here and other experiences that if Honda PS fluid isn't used consistently that it will damage the rack and pinion seals. I removed the belt from the power steering pump completely because I think the pump has broken down and the rack and pinion is leaking fluid. It's hard to drive but not impossible. I eventually want to do a complete swap of an A20 carburated for my aging ES2. Should I wait to do all the PS replacement after I do the swap and use an A20 PS pump or should I worry about replacing the pump ASAP? The rack and pinion rebuild kit is about $80 and a rebuilt one is $125. I also have a wealth of parts from 2 1985 Accord LX sedans to draw from, but my friend just sold the rack from the one we pulled. In addition to the PS problems, my AC system doesn't work at all. The compressor is shot an has to be replaced, but again should I waste the money on one for my ES2 engine? If anyone has done an A20 swap for a carburated G2 Accord could you give me some tips as to what accessories I have to replace to make the swap? I already have all of the carburation parts for a dual Weber set up.

Vehicle
    Accord 88 LXi Coupe

Talking A20A Reuild + Swap , 2nd Gen Accord , Weber Carbed

Here's my A20A3 swap motor. Its been blue printed, new pistons, new rings, new wrist pins, new bearings, bored +.020, milled true, crank balanced, new freeze plugs, new oil pump, cleaned and tested. The head was done by my friend at Sidewinder Racing. He did a valve job, shaved it -.025, polished, lapped the valve seats, cleaned and polished the cam.

Last edited by phrenology; 01-10-2005 at 11:30 AM.

"The Future is Unwritten" -Strummer

"speed costs money, so gaffer tape and cable ties will suffice"-Peasant Tuning

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    What's done to it that cost so much?
    No projects. Life consumes my time and money.

Vehicle
    Accord 88 LXi Coupe
    Its been rebuilt top to bottom. It cost less than another A20A3 low mileage motor with shipping and core. That rusted piece of crap was it before the rebuild:[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by phrenology; 01-10-2005 at 11:35 AM.

Vehicle
    '01 BMW 740i,'87 Accord,'02 Accord EX-L,'76 Datsun 280Z,'05 Subaru Legacy GT*R.I.P.*
    was that it before? dirty ass lookin engine. you wouldnt happen to have any hp #'s on it now would you? so that is indeed going into the '84 accord? that should be pretty cool. i'm sure the 2nd gen accord is a bit lighter than the 3gee. that's going to be a nice swap there.
    Keep it HONDA. Or at least Asian.™
    *Weber 32/36*Pacesetter Header*2.25 in. Cat Back exhaust*SE-i rear disk brakes
    B18C swap ditched, A20 to be revived
    Looking for K20/trans for ultimate swap

Vehicle
    Stock 86 Accord LXi Hatch
    looks really good. hopefully i will get my motor rebuilt in the next year (im smoking bad on any cold start and under any accelleration )

LX User
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Prelude DX, 1989 Volvo 240DL wagon died. 1987 f150 4x4
    purdey
    -1986 Honda Prelude DX:
    pacesetter cat back w/Magnaflow muffler
    lightspeed header
    ngk iridium plugs
    Pacesetter short shifter
    94' integra coilovers
    k&n oil filter

Vehicle
    '87 Carbed Hatch(RIP), 88 FI sedan w/ power group, '73 Jag w/ 350lump
    That thing is nice!
    My head looked really nice (like yours) until I put it back on the old, dirty block. I'd love to get my bottom end as spiffed as yours is though.. guess it'll have to wait for now :damn!
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard;
    And the stupid people are breeding......

http://www.cardomain.com/id/bluebead

SEi User

new engine

nice one!
    If only they stayed that clean when they go back in!! Mind you at least his block is black and won't be able to see any oil leaks!! Did mine blue and looks well dirty after 30K!!

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 accord LXi 2dr 5 speed Monster, yes it's factory
    How much did it cost for thew rebuilding of the sexy engine?

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 accord LXi 2dr 5 speed Monster, yes it's factory
    do you happen to know how much it cost to rebuild that sexy engine?

Vehicle
    Accord 88 LXi Coupe

Talking

I didn't paint it, the engine lab did. I should have requested Chevy Orange or Ford Blue just to be sacreligious, Hah. Naw the motor hasn't gone in yet, I'm waiting for my shaved flywheel. They did a real nice job with it, I could eat off a block that clean, but then I'd get taco sauce in the cylinder.

Vehicle
    Accord 88 LXi Coupe
    I had the block work done here in Tampa at a professional rebuild shop. The cost came in a little under $1200 with parts, labor, and balancing. Not bad considering the longevity you can get out of a professionally rebuilt A20. I really didn't want to pay more than $800 but I think its gonna be worth it. It's been modified slightly but its going to be a street/daily driver setup. The headwork was done by my friend at a DSM mod shop called Sidewinder Racing. He did it at machining cost. With all of the DSM work he does he still loves Honda's bullet proof motor technology. I also got a new rebuilt and warrantied E2Q5 5 speed manual tranny to mate with it for under $500. The next big step is designing and machining the manifold. Check my cardomain page for updates on the rebuild.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box
    that's gonna be nice... by manifold, do you mean you're building your own intake manifold? that's cool... i've wanted to do that...

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Lx-i, 1975 Chevrolet Malibu Classic
    I looked up the price for a Jasper rebuilt motor and it is $2317! $1200 is a great deal since it is basically the same thing just not done by a national name. I think I am going to get mine rebuilt once it starts to eat up oil but that should be a while since right now it burns almost none at all and it's at about 180Kmi. I just hope this used tranny works out for me, I won't know until tomorrow afternoon when I get to pay the $250 and take it for a spin. That is quite a nice looking engine.
    75 Malibu for sale, fully restored, $5,500 obo
    https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=43055
    Currently driving a 95 LS soon to be turbo integra.

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    thats a nice looking motor you have there.
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

Vehicle
    Accord 88 LXi Coupe

Unhappy

Yeah, the manifold is gonna one piece of billet aluminum milled out and port matched with 4 independent runners for the DCOEs. I'm probably gonna have Nitrous ports added for future a upgrade. I wanted to ram tune it but space is limited to extend it in the Accord bay. What I don't like about the A20 heads is the resticted oval intake port compared with the perfect circle ports of the E series heads.

Vehicle
    Accord 88 LXi Coupe
    I hope the rebuild gets finished, I've been attacking the body on my hatchback while I wait for the rest of the engine parts. Has anybody been able to get either head studs or flywheel bolts from ARP? I've asked around and most people's response is "your application is outdated" but I'm thinking there are parts out there you just need to give them dimensions and not engine or car info.

Vehicle
    1989 honda accord lxi
    looks good man hopefully i will get my motor rebuilt soon i already have 212,000 miles on it but its a honda it will last longer

Vehicle
    Accord 88 LXi Coupe

Talking A20 Rebuild Project New Pics

Hey geez checkout the build progress. With alot of computer hassle I finally updated my cardomain site tonight with new pics of the flywheel/tranny and I have a new poll up, so be sure to vote. If anyone has any questions relating to my rebuild than ask away.

Vehicle
    thats awesome man...

im interested in the internals that you used?

did you get aftermarket valves, reuse stock ones, or get new stock ones?

how much did you bore the motor out ? (im planning on .020)

do you have any performance parts in there like better bearings or oil pump?

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    Bucket
    facking sweet bro, wat kinda mounts are you using?
    3geez for life.

Vehicle
    Accord 88 LXi Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by bobafett
    thats awesome man...

im interested in the internals that you used?

did you get aftermarket valves, reuse stock ones, or get new stock ones?

how much did you bore the motor out ? (im planning on .020)

do you have any performance parts in there like better bearings or oil pump?
    I had the motor rebuilt to a OEM specs but they did over bore 0.20 and put new pistons/rings/pins/bearings in. I had the crank balanced too. They put a new oil pump in and its getting all brand new accessory pumps. My friend did all the head work. He did a 3 angle grind on the seats, and rebuilt the valve train. I had the head shaved down -0.25. I'm still contemplating going with the copper head gasket. I know I won't have the CR that warrants a copper one but I like the safety and reuse benefits if its installed correctly.

This car is gonna be a daily driver for now, so I didn't want to go crazy with performance internals. When I get out west I'm gonna look for a shop to do more serious work at. I'm probably gonna pick up a spare head and do some major work to it in the future. I can find A20As and heads real easy out there.
    Eventually when I can afford another car I want to make this one into an amateur rally car. I really don't have a lot of interest on building a drift, drag or show car.

Vehicle
    Accord 88 LXi Coupe

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by 88accordhb
    facking sweet bro, wat kinda mounts are you using?
    I'm going with brand new A20 mounts in the rear. I have to swap out the left mount bracket on the block from the A20 to the ES so it will sit right. The front mount is my only concern, I want to use the hydro mount from the 88' but I have to modify the cross member with mounting studs or a threaded steel plate. F*cking Honda pisses me off sometimes...I know they never engineered the cars for this swap but the friggin' bolt holes for the front cross member are like 1/16" off from the 88' to the 84' They even kept the damn widths the same despite the 3' overall width increase between G2s-G3s. I guess when you're swapping nothing is easy.

Vehicle
    thanks for the reply