Thread: clutch cable, where does it go in/out from?

SEi User
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord POS tranny

clutch cable, where does it go in/out from?

im having trouble putting in the clutch cable in my car, the hole in the firewall thats plugged up is too small to fit the clutch cable through, and whats weird is, its on the right side while the clutch is actually on the left. is there a plugged up hole that i dont know about?

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    You must be looking in the wrong place. The clutch cable goes straight from the pedal right out the firewall. Doesn't bend anywhere. It should go through right under the windshield wiper motor.
    No projects. Life consumes my time and money.

Vehicle
    87 Honda Accord DX
    it's a thin cable inside of a larger sleeve, in case you were just looking for the cable.

look at your transmission, where the cable connects to that bar on it. follow that back around to the firewall, and viola.
    www.stein-photo.com
    born to XLR8

SEi User
    Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by racerx
    it's a thin cable inside of a larger sleeve, in case you were just looking for the cable.

look at your transmission, where the cable connects to that bar on it. follow that back around to the firewall, and viola.

im doing a swap right now, so its out with the auto and in with the manual. there are 3 plugs on the firewall. one is for the throttle cable, the other is for cruise control. the one thats plugged up im assuming is for the clutch. it seems weird that the plugged up hole is not lined up with the clutch though...

SEi User
    Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveDX89
    You must be looking in the wrong place. The clutch cable goes straight from the pedal right out the firewall. Doesn't bend anywhere. It should go through right under the windshield wiper motor.

can you get me a picture of that hole? im really sure im using the right hole. looking directly at the firewall, the hole thats plugged up(and im assuming its for the clutch cable) is too small to fit through the hole

Vehicle
    87 Honda Accord DX
    https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?...ngine+bay+pics

look at the cable that is crossing over the valve cover. it comes from the firewall on the driver's side, and goes down to the tranny. that's your clutch cable.
    www.stein-photo.com
    born to XLR8

SEi User
    Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by racerx
    https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?...ngine+bay+pics

look at the cable that is crossing over the valve cover. it comes from the firewall on the driver's side, and goes down to the tranny. that's your clutch cable.

i know what it is, i wanna know where it goes through the firewall, i see one hole, but that one isnt it apparently

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    Unfortunately I think this is the best pic I have. Hopefully it helps you out.

No projects. Life consumes my time and money.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 LXI Honda Accord
    that would be the cord.
    Advice.
    I have installed this 2 times now... As I installed it crooked the first time... and it snapped 3 weeks later.
    If you cant get it over the top of the clutch pedal in under 3 minutes (assuming your hands arent causing you time issues :p) you may have it mis-angled.
    It took me 35 minutes the first time... because I was over the vacuum hoses that I was supposed to be under... and that put strain right at the firewall point of the line... and it broke.
    I went UNDER and into the hole... and bam. 11 minutes and I had the old one out... new one in... and already adjusted and driving my wonderful toy

now if I can get 3rd gear sync to be nice

Vehicle
    87 Honda Accord DX
    there's some good advice. always best to get it from the guy who's done it before and knows the problems.
    www.stein-photo.com
    born to XLR8

SEi User
    Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveDX89
    Unfortunately I think this is the best pic I have. Hopefully it helps you out.

thanks i tried to get it through the wrong hole before...

Vehicle
    87 Honda Accord DX
    yeah, i've "accidentally" got.... nvm... i'll just keep my thoughts to myself on that one... lol
    www.stein-photo.com
    born to XLR8

SEi User
    Vehicle
    on my car there is that little bracket there that is near the throttle cable and such and i think it holds a vacuum line. im wondering if that little slot on the side of it is where the clutch cable would sit near as it seems like its too coicidential for it not to go there, ill try and upload a picture of what im talkiing about later when i figure out how do

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 LXI Honda Accord
    if your talking about a clip sorta thingy... about 12 inches away from the fire wall also cliping vacuum hoses... yes the clutch cable goes under this and hangs in the clip. under the vacuum hoses here.
    it then strings around the front of the block... clips into the clip mount on top the block... front passenger side (generic locations these are i say... GENERIC!) and down and onto the clutch lever itself.
    MAKE SURE you put the cable spaced correctly between each section of the lever. you will have a VERY HARD TIME adjusting the clutch if its off by one slot... Im at work now... but it has to do with the metal piece at the bottom. this looks like it could go either way. I put thism ABOVE the bottom of the lever.
    I never got a for sure to know if this went ABOVE or BELOW the actual lever itself.
    BUT. It adjusts with ease... So I figured I did it right.
    just lift on the cable and spin the plastic screw (thingy >.<. Sue me im not a car person till just recently) and test the clutch every time you change it. Rinse and repeat till its adjusted and catches where you want it to catch.

Its how i did it...

Dirty cheap method? Probably. :p