Thread: No voltage to fuel pump

DX User

No voltage to fuel pump

This is my first post, although I've been registered for a while. I've never really had anything to post because I've never had any problems out of my 87 DX until now. I usually just like to read and learn. Anyway, my car ran for like 3 seconds the other day and died like I turned the key. Then nothing. I said to hell with it and took the wifes van. The next day I cranked it over and pumped the hell out of it and it fired up. I drove it for a good while and it did fine. Later that afternoon I went to take off and it did it again. Ran for about 2-3 secs, then just died. Now it does nothing.It doesn't seem to be getting any gas. I took the cover off the fuel pump under the carpet and tested with a low voltage test light and got nothing. Could this be a relay, fuse or what? Any opinions or advise? Thanks.

when you put the key in the II position (On,before you start it) does the battery light turn on or only the oil light?
    If only the oil light turns on the fuse under the dash labled Fuel Pump/Alternator is blown. If they both light up its probably the fuel pump relay or a broken wire
    Eric
    3geez member since October 12, 2000
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau

when you put the key in the II position (On,before you start it) does the battery light turn on or only the oil light?
    If only the oil light turns on the fuse under the dash labled Fuel Pump/Alternator is blown. If they both light up its probably the fuel pump relay or a broken wire
    Eric
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau

DX User

Re: No voltage to fuel pump

Thanks for the help. Fixed my car. It was the fuel pump. I found everything I needed to know about troubleshooting with the search engine. I got an aftermarket pump that required some modification. I didn't realize that the electrical terminals could be unsealed in the fuel tank. The original seamed to be sealed up. I did almost screw up once. I snapped one of the terminals off while tightening, and I could visualize dollar bills swirling down the john. But then I thought of my old buddy Robin about one block away, "HIgh Point Electric". He's a starter and alternator man, but he's got one hell of a soldering gun! Oh, and is it just me, or does everyone that puts a fuel pump in a 3G get that much tar on them? YUK!

Re: No voltage to fuel pump

congrats. Yea that tar is annoying, if it gets on your seats forget about ever seeing them clean again!
    Eric