Thread: need help with some info!

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LXi

Question need help with some info!

i picked up a 1988 honda accord Fi 2 door LX-i 5-speed today.

the guy thought that the engine was blown i put a battery in it and checked the oil "level was a hair low" and tryed to start it!

it runs but its missing bad! could it have jumped timing? and there is nothing wrong with it?

and what engine is in this car?

its got 175,000 miles on the tranny and engine, i'm going to use the tranny on my accord and swap out the ball joints and d-cap. other than that i'm thinking of selling the rest.
    89 Honda Accord LXi 4-door A/T--->M/T
    94 Honda Accord EX 2-door M/T

Ok maybe i can't spell! But i still need my "?" answered!

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Re: need help with some info!

Quote Originally Posted by NastyNate
    i picked up a 1988 honda accord Fi 2 door LX-i 5-speed today.

the guy thought that the engine was blown i put a battery in it and checked the oil "level was a hair low" and tryed to start it!

it runs but its missing bad! could it have jumped timing? and there is nothing wrong with it?

and what engine is in this car?

its got 175,000 miles on the tranny and engine, i'm going to use the tranny on my accord and swap out the ball joints and d-cap. other than that i'm thinking of selling the rest.
    well try a compression test to see if the motors tight.

might be as simple as a bad plug wire.

wp

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX

1. do the test compression. this will tell you if you have blown head gasket or not.
    2. check the timing belt and make sure it is OK. plus make sure your distributor set at OEM mark.
    3. do simple tune up. spark plug wires, spark plugs, distributor rotor and cap. this should fix the miss.
    4. if you still have the miss. you may want to get new distributor. usually bearings go out in distributor.
    Alex.

yea if you don't have a compression tester unplug one spark plug at a time, the plug that makes the LEAST difference (i.e. the idle behavior doen't change)when removed is usually the one at fault, take out that plug and sitck your thumb over the hole and have someone crank the motor over for you while you do this, there should be more than enough pressure available to blow past your finger no matter how hard you press. If there is low/no pressure the valves could be stuck open or the piston has a hole or the connecting rod is broken (you'll usually hear a lot of nosie if it's broken)
    Eric
    3geez member since October 12, 2000
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau