Thread: Need Answers

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 accord lx

Exclamation Need Answers

Sup all i have a slight problem my 1987 accord lx is acting up.
    When i first turn it on with a cold engine it will run with the idle high i am used to this due to it being a honda carb however once the engine warms up the engine dies however if i turn it on and hold the gas it wont shut off till i let the gas go. I would say that one in 25 tries it will work right i just need to know if it could possibly be a fuel pump goin out or what i just know i need my car cuz i have to get back and forth to work and i cant do that on hopes and dreams any help would be nice thanks.

Vehicle
    72 145s my dad has the million k 87 lx

Re: Need Answers

replace the ignition switch thats part of your problem there

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 accord lx

Even though my car turns on and stays on even though i hold down the gas?????

Vehicle
    72 145s my dad has the million k 87 lx

odd

you just need to raise the idle speed to compensate, the fast idle basically holds the "pedal" down for you until it warms up.
    you should, however, look into vacuum leaks in the engine bay, this will cause your idle speed to drop and raising it will only compensate for it without fixing the underlying problem
    there's a dashpot on the passenger side of the carb (where the throttle connects) and it has a phillips head screw inside a little spring right under it (at the throttle bracket), turn it clockwise to raise idle speed.
    Eric
    3geez member since October 12, 2000
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau

another problem that occurs once in a while, there is an electrical connection to the back of the carb, it connects to a brass cylindrical device, if this wire isn't connected or getting 12V at idle, the car will run perfectly but will not idle, it'll act like you turned off the key.
    Eric
    3geez member since October 12, 2000
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau