Thread: tire Q? for Jim

Vehicle
    1991 Supra Turbo W/ 12k Miles

tire Q? for Jim

Hey Jim Im switching from the heavy 17" rims that I have (205/40) and Im going with the 16" Enkei CDR9's from discounttiredirect with their yokohama racing tires (205/40)... I was just wondering what you thought of that tire size setup (definite sprint 2.25in drop in the near future) I also wanted to know your opinion on the CDR9's I can't find out how much they weigh either.... Thanks....
    ~Nathan~

"There's always something waiting at the end of the road. If you are not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place."
    ~StOcK PiCs~

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord LXI HB 5-sp

Re: tire Q? for Jim

Originally posted by 87AccordsterLx
    Hey Jim Im switching from the heavy 17" rims that I have (205/40) and Im going with the 16" Enkei CDR9's from discounttiredirect with their yokohama racing tires (205/40)... I was just wondering what you thought of that tire size setup (definite sprint 2.25in drop in the near future) I also wanted to know your opinion on the CDR9's I can't find out how much they weigh either.... Thanks....
    Hmmm, they weigh 18.9LBS, about average for 16's. The stock rims weighed 16-18LBS. I'd consider 16LBS as a goal for lighter rims, but they are hard to find and they are expensive. Go here for a list of wheel weights. http://www.wheelweights.net Unfortunately their are quite a few rims that aren't on that list. BTW, Konig's web site has the weight for each wheel on it.

Are you sure you wanna go with 205/40 and not the more correct 205/45 size? Are are you after a certain model of tire that isn't made in the 45 series? I'd go with the 45's over the 40's.
    H&R springs revalved Bilstein front struts, koni struts in the rear 195/55-15 Dunlop W-10's Dc Sports header custom cat-back with Dynomax super turbo w/3" Brembo slotted & dimpled rotor's EBC pads
    Well, that's what I used to have, wrecked, 7/3/02.

Now I d

Vehicle
    cool thanks... no it's just that when I put the 205/40-17's on it raised my car a little and messed my syncros a little too... so I figured 45's with 16's would do the same..... am I off on this one?? I wouldnt mind putting 45's on at all....
    ~Nathan~

"There's always something waiting at the end of the road. If you are not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place."
    ~StOcK PiCs~

Vehicle
    I found the Yokohama A520 TL 205/45-16 at discounttiredirect for $88.... what do you think??? IM just not crazy about the treadwear rating... 180... its pretty bad... the Nitto NT450 are V speed rated with a 300 treadwear for $86... do you think I should go performance or treadwear... or do you have any other tire sugestions???
    Last edited by 87AccordsterLx; 08-15-2002 at 11:01 PM.
    ~Nathan~

~StOcK PiCs~

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    I found the Yokohama A520 TL 205/45-16 at discounttiredirect for $88.... what do you think??? IM just not crazy about the treadwear rating... 180... its pretty bad... the Nitto NT450 are V speed rated with a 300 treadwear for $86... do you think I should go performance or treadwear... or do you have any other tire sugestions???
    The 205/45-16 is spot on with matching the overall height of the stock rim/tire combo. The A520 is a really good tire, but as you noticed it's tread wear isn't high and people whine about it being loud. The Kumbo 712 is just as good and has a higher tread wear rating and should be priced the same if not cheaper. The other tires I like are way more expensive so stick with the 712's

I like: Fulda azenzas sport, brigestone RE730 & S-003 pole position, BgGoodrich KDW Comp T/A, Toyo T1-S, Kumho 712
    H&R springs revalved Bilstein front struts, koni struts in the rear 195/55-15 Dunlop W-10's Dc Sports header custom cat-back with Dynomax super turbo w/3" Brembo slotted & dimpled rotor's EBC pads

Now I d

Vehicle
    awesome.... thanks Jim.... I think I'll go with the 712's they seem like the perfect median.... I'll let you know what i think when they come in....
    ~Nathan~

~StOcK PiCs~

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    awesome.... thanks Jim.... I think I'll go with the 712's they seem like the perfect median.... I'll let you know what i think when they come in....
    No problem, but you HAVE to post pics when you get them on.

Now I d

Vehicle
    I have my camera ready.... it's a deal !!!!!
    ~Nathan~

~StOcK PiCs~