Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: has anyone swapped in a b series without using the place racing mount kit?

SEi User
    Vehicle
    87 hatch, stock sleeve b series gsr clone..

has anyone swapped in a b series without using the place racing mount kit?

It seems to be rather difficult to source a set of these, so I was wondering if anyone has used a different method of doing this. Possibly using mounts intended for another car like the crx, or just stock integra mounts with custom brackets..

Specifically, what I want to know is will the driver's side mount from the b series position the engine correctly in the 3g bay? If that mount is right, I can easily fabricate everything else to accomodate integra style mounts. I remember seeing pics of one partially completed setup, but I don't know if it actually turned out legit or what.

Also, does anyone happen to know what the difference is between the 90-91 and 92-93 integra mounts? How about if the side and back mounts are the same between the 92-93 and 94+ integra? I asked this on H-T and those guys didn't have shit to say.

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Prelude...

Re: has anyone swapped in a b series without using the place racing mount kit?

well look for the thread that says B series mounts or something of the like...I have pics in there with a B18A1 in my 2nd gen prelude which is very close to ur accord and I did not use the place racing mounts...

Vehicle
    1989 honda accord Lx ( cheeseburger mobile) 1989 honda accord Lx-i ole blue

u would have to get something custom

here is a 3g with a H22 in it
    https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=42713

SEi User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by masterkillalw
    I have pics in there with a B18A1 in my 2nd gen prelude which is very close to ur accord and I did not use the place racing mounts...
    So you're the guy I was thinking of with the pics..Well, doesn't exactly answer any of my questions..I mean, I know it can be done, I just want to know most specifically about that driver side mount in the 3g chassis, and what the differences are between the various integra mounts..

by the way, I've read every thread here on b series swaps, and asked on on honda-tech, to no avail. Those guys on honda-tech frown on anything different..

Right now my # 1 question is will a stock type (non motor swap) integra driver's side mount position that side of the engine correctly with respect to front/ back and right/left. I'm not a rookie, I can easily fab up the other brackets and whatever I need, for those of you that remember, I built my Entire old turbosystem myself, and I'm considerably better at welding/fabrication now. I'm just trying to figure out as much as I can before I start dropping money on shit that I don't necessarily need. I was strongly considering buying project lxi's PR mounts, he was supposed to email me pics, but he hasn't responded to several pm's and I want to get this shit going!

SEi User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeseburger
    u would have to get something custom
    Thanks, cheeseburger. Very helpful..

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Prelude...

well If u look at one of the pics it shows that I cut the stock mounting piece to allow for me to move the STOCK Integra mount where it needs to be...next step is gonna be making something to go around the mouint on the sides to slide the bolt in...I will see what I can come up with...

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Prelude...

here is a picture. Not very good but its a 3 min job...

SEi User
    Vehicle

that's funny shit, you beat me to posting that pic by like 1 minute!..Anyway, your prelude has different mounts than the 3g.. The front and back mounts are obviously different, I don't know about that driver's side one. Shit, your whole bay is different. The distance from that bracket to the axle centerline is probably different too. I haven't even tried to fit the teg mount into my driver's side bracket yet, I don't have any of those mounts lying around. One of my friends probably does though.

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Prelude...

yea my lude isn't as wide or something like that...but for the front tranny mount I used the front crossmember of the Integra...made it fit like cake in a fat kids mouth...the rear mount sits right on my rear crossmember...drill holes through that and throw some bolts in that and its all good...only other thing is the tranny mount on the far psg side...I am gonna put it on and then make the bracket for that...

SEi User
    Vehicle

What's your technique for making sure the mounts all have the right amount of weight on them, an that the engine sits perfectly level at the same time?

the way I understand it, the 2 side mounts are supposed to hold the weight, and the front and back are mostly to handle the torque from turning the driveaxles..? So it seems like you would have to take the weight off the front and back mounts before you put the side one on, I guess..

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord Lx-i Sedan (long term project)

I've already done a big writeup on this topic in a previous thread:
    https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=38571&page=6

Hope that helps. Trust me, the H22 is takes as much work to put in than a B series if you are gonna go custom anyways. So why not try a better engine?

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by ICEMAN707
    Hope that helps. Trust me, the H22 is takes as much work to put in than a B series if you are gonna go custom anyways. So why not try a better engine?
    More powerful in stock form - yes
    Better? - debatable

No projects. Life consumes my time and money.

Vehicle

Well, true. The Acura TSX K24 block mated to an Acura RSX Type S K20A head would be a better engine if one could manage getting that in a 3gee.

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5

Well, true. The Acura TSX K24 block mated to an Acura RSX Type S K20A head would be a better engine if one could manage getting that in a 3gee.
    TSX head = RSX Type-S head

Vehicle
    1989 honda accord lx ,2006 accord se 2.4l i-vtec 166 hp 5spd

just need lots o gas and plenty of steel

torch solves all o and a sawsall dont hurt either!

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Prelude...

Quote Originally Posted by Accordtheory
    What's your technique for making sure the mounts all have the right amount of weight on them, an that the engine sits perfectly level at the same time?
    the way I understand it, the 2 side mounts are supposed to hold the weight, and the front and back are mostly to handle the torque from turning the driveaxles..? So it seems like you would have to take the weight off the front and back mounts before you put the side one on, I guess..

well the engine is supposed to sit back just a lil bit...keeping the engine level is no big deal either...I just eye-balled it...no big deal...

SEi User
    Vehicle

As I stated in my first post, I've already read every thread about the b series swap, and nowhere in any of those threads is the specific info I'm looking for. No offense, I know you didn't write the whole thing, but that big multiple page, multiple contributing writeup is almost worthless. It has hardly any real info, mostly it is just people saying they want the pri mounts to use them or to be able to coply them, which I highly doubt anyone will ever do.

It doesn't answer my question about the driver's side mount, which integra mounts to use, etc, etc..shit, it doesn't even answer my current question, how the hell is the PRI back mount set up?

p.s. Yeah, sure, I would rather have an h22, but my decision has already been made, I already have the too much b series shit.

Vehicle

well pretty much my writeup tells you what you need to know. you can use stock b-series mounts if you can modify the frame and front and rear crossmembers with new weld-in brackets to fit them. OR you can keep the frame stock but you have to design new mounts to fit the b-series to the frame. simple as that. after that all you have to worry about is wiring and axles....wiring being the hardest part.

SEi User
    Vehicle

The post does Not tell me all I need to know. I need to know about the driver's side mount. Check out the pic with the yellow place racing mounts. Now look at the driver's side mount, and see how it is Below the level of the bracket connecting from the engine. I have never seen an integra mount that is like that, I've only seen them Above the level of that bracket. Look at the other pic, which is a stock integra mount, or check out this site http://www.innovativemounts.com/products.htm and look at all the b series driver side mounts. In other words, with a stock style integra mount, it seems like the engine would sit lower. I don't know if this is good or bad, or what. What I would really like to see, but won't, is a Legit b series transplant completed using factory integra mounts. By the way, the innovativemount site also claims to have a kit for a crx that will fit a vtec b18/b20 without hitting the hood..my friend's crx used factory mounts and he did have to trim his hood. Maybe lowering the engine a little from where the PRI kit is wouldn't be too bad.
    Last edited by Accordtheory; 11-09-2005 at 03:14 PM.

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5

The rear uses the 90-93 teg tranny bracket. There is a mount that bolts in the stock location and lines up with the tranny bracket. Put the bolt through and tighten the nut. Nothing complicated.

SEi User
    Vehicle

I guess you replied before I edited my post..weird..your reply didn't show up immediately after I edited it, but yeah, I figured that out after I saw a pic of the 90-93 stock rear mount.

what do you think about the engine height issue?

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5

Well, with the PRI kit, the B16 clears the hood no problem. When you start getting into B18's and B20's, it becomes a problem since the block is 7 mm taller. I believe some guys had to bang on the hood supports with a mallet to clear it.

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Prelude...

ok and with the stock Integra mount on the drivers side, I am gonna have to LIFT it up some and thats why there is the new brackets getting welded in...thats why I said they were getting weld in right there...I also said that I was gonna have to level the engine with this mount as well..

SEi User
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord POS tranny

im just a little curious steve, did you swap in your b16 with custom mounts?

Vehicle
    1989 honda accord lx ,2006 accord se 2.4l i-vtec 166 hp 5spd

shot my mouth off and erased it.
    Last edited by Cant Stop; 11-09-2005 at 07:42 PM.