Thread: anyone made their own OBD0->OBD1 harness before?

SEi User
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord POS tranny

anyone made their own OBD0->OBD1 harness before?

like the topic states, im just trying to find out the level of ease to make your own harness, im considering converting to OBD1 soon

EDIT: i should also take the time to ask, do i need to have the second O2 sensor like the 88-89 accords have?
    Last edited by newaccorddriver; 11-08-2005 at 10:42 PM.

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5

Re: anyone made their own OBD0->OBD1 harness before?

No, you will have to buy a 4-wire O2 sensor like an OBD 1 car has. They're usually about $100. Converting to OBD 1 shouldn't be too difficult if you have the conversion harness. If you make your own, which seems like you want to do, that will be difficult.
    No projects. Life consumes my time and money.

SEi User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDX89
    No, you will have to buy a 4-wire O2 sensor like an OBD 1 car has. They're usually about $100. Converting to OBD 1 shouldn't be too difficult if you have the conversion harness. If you make your own, which seems like you want to do, that will be difficult.

im not too sure about how to hook up the 4wire O2 sensor, but it just seems like hooking 1 wire to the ECU, 1 to a ground, 1 to another ground, and 1 to the coil or something. ive read it somewhere on hondatech i think...

as for the conversion harness, if i have both the OBD0 and OBD1 wire readouts(or whatever thats called), couldnt i construct my own harness or does it not work that way? im trying to make my own to save some money, my last resort would be to go out and buy one...

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by newaccorddriver
    as for the conversion harness, if i have both the OBD0 and OBD1 wire readouts(or whatever thats called), couldnt i construct my own harness or does it not work that way? im trying to make my own to save some money, my last resort would be to go out and buy one...
    Yes, it works that way but you have to add a bunch of stuff as a subharness and it's not as simple as you think since they have different names for the wires. It's not like it's impossible to do but if you're a newb to this kind of stuff, it will get difficult. I think I'm gonna try making my own but I'm only about 30-40 percent confident I can do it.

SEi User
    Vehicle

Yes, it works that way but you have to add a bunch of stuff as a subharness and it's not as simple as you think since they have different names for the wires. It's not like it's impossible to do but if you're a newb to this kind of stuff, it will get difficult. I think I'm gonna try making my own but I'm only about 30-40 percent confident I can do it.

i think im gonna try making my own first and then probably go out and buy one... just curious, is the 4G accord ECU any good when i convert? ive read the OBD1 thread and it recommends the P75, but i think those are hard to come by(in canada atleast...)

EDIT: isnt the jkobd harness just 1 piece or do they include a sub harness
    Last edited by newaccorddriver; 11-09-2005 at 07:48 PM.

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5

The subharness is probably already connected to the ECU plugs. The other ends of those wires need wired up manually. They are the additional wires for the O2 sensor, etc.

SEi User
    Vehicle

They are the additional wires for the O2 sensor, etc.
    so ill have to run 2 O2 sensors then? the 4wire O2 sensors just for heating it up quickly.

Accord of the Year - 2006

soldering all the conections and getting the plugs is a pain in the ass. better off buying a harness and changing it according to what ecu setup you have.

You dont sound to familiar with this type of project and it is fairly involved. not to mention finding shielded wire can be a pain.

Im still trying to figure out what to do about the vss signal to the ecu which is still throwing the vss code. im researching it right now and hopefully it will be an easy fix. The accord speed sensor isnt like the crx one posted in the link in the obd1 thread. our gauge cluster has a sort of amp that completely sends the wrong type of signal to the ecu.(voltage and pulse wise)

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5

so ill have to run 2 O2 sensors then? the 4wire O2 sensors just for heating it up quickly.
    Read my post again. Not only did I say you need 1 4-wire 02 sensor earlier in the thread. The second time I used the word sensor, not sensors. Sensor is singular meaning 1.

Accord of the Year - 2007

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord, CRV B20 swap.

i think im gonna try making my own first and then probably go out and buy one... just curious, is the 4G accord ECU any good when i convert? ive read the OBD1 thread and it recommends the P75, but i think those are hard to come by(in canada atleast...)

Jkob makes only sub-harnesses and Rywire makes engine harnesses
    Complete repair manual <---- (click here)

Vehicle
    88 LXi

like the topic states, im just trying to find out the level of ease to make your own harness, im considering converting to OBD1 soon

EDIT: i should also take the time to ask, do i need to have the second O2 sensor like the 88-89 accords have?

http://www.locashracing.com/store/

have you tried this guy hes been around since honda-hybrid.com days.

wp

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX

You don't need to have a 4 wire O2 sensor if you disable the O2 heater in the ECU Rom.

The purpose of converting to OBD-1 is to have a tunable ECU that will run a custom program.

However, if you use a Stock OBD-1 ECU, wou will need the 4 wire O2. There is no point to convert to OBD-1 if you use a stock ECU tough.

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

SEi User
    Vehicle

Read my post again. Not only did I say you need 1 4-wire 02 sensor earlier in the thread. The second time I used the word sensor, not sensors. Sensor is singular meaning 1.

what i meant was, the 88/89 accords use 2 O2 sensors, and from what i know, some cars use 2 of them, i was just wondering if i had to run 2 of them to make my car OBD1

SEi User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by carotman
    You don't need to have a 4 wire O2 sensor if you disable the O2 heater in the ECU Rom.

The purpose of converting to OBD-1 is to have a tunable ECU that will run a custom program.

However, if you use a Stock OBD-1 ECU, wou will need the 4 wire O2. There is no point to convert to OBD-1 if you use a stock ECU tough.

im converting trying to convert my car to OBD1 in preparation for turbocharging it

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation

you could run a 1 wire o2 sensor with a p05 ecu... or just disable it in the rom
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*