Thread: 1987 Accord LXi 3d-hatch (sell it or fix it?)

DX User

1987 Accord LXi 3d-hatch (sell it or fix it?)

I don't know what to do with this car. It's not registered yet because I couldn't get it to pass at the TEST ONLY Center. I found the history of it and it showed it failed 3 times prior. I guess that was the reason for the the guy who sold it. But it's a pain to park out in the street because it keeps collecting parking tickets since it's not a registered car to park out there.

The PGM-Fi light comes on after the car is warmed up and stays on until the next time the car is turned on. I checked the ECU and the light blinks 12 times telling me that there is something wrong with this EGR valve/system.

I've been going through this Troubleshooting Flow Chart -- EGR System process and I've come to a part where I'm stuck because I can't find no damn lower EGR control solenoid valve hose.

Also, I accidentally broke some piece inside that black emissions box thing that the hoses from the EGR solenoid area run from. I was trying to pull hoses off and blowing through them to see if any of them were clogged.

If there are any guys well-knowledged in this area, please, I beg your help. I'm totally lost. You'll have to explain in lamen's terms as well.

TIA,
    -taF
    Last edited by tallazzFilipino; 11-10-2005 at 07:28 PM.

DX User

Re: 1987 Accord LXi 3d-hatch (sell it or fix it?)

BUMP

-taF

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX

well, since you broke a piece from black box, the only way out is to get another black box from junk yard, and while you are there, pick up extra EGR valve, may be 2 just in case one doesn't work.

your best bet is to replace EGR valve (in the first picture) and replace black box all at ones to fix your problems.
    Alex.

DX User

things are looking good as i'm heading on tha right track. says tha guy at tha TEST ONLY Center.
    tha first time i brought tha car to tha TEST ONLY Center, tha guy did a dry run (i didn't have to pay). tha car failed at both 15mph and 25mph and tha PGM-Fi light was on. he checked tha o2 sensor and said it was good. he and tha guy at tha Mazda shop next door, didn't know what to tell me.

anyway, coming on here and finding out tha ECU code givin' me a problem with tha EGR system, i was told to first check tha PCV piping and tha vacuum chamber. tha vacuum chamber ended up bein' quite clogged and so i ordered another one. after replacing tha vacuum chamber, tha car smogged up pretty bad, but eventually went away. i poored in some of that fuel injection cleaner stuff into tha gas tank and filled it up. i drove around so tha treatment would cycle through and so my cat' would heat up. i then took it to tha TEST ONLY Center and had tha car tested again (which i had to pay for this time). also, tha PGM-Fi light doesn't come on anymore, so i'm glad about that.

surprisingly, tha car passed at 25mph but failed at 15mph. he told me it was runnin' rich and that i may have to check my grounding system, wires to tha map sensor, etc. i asked if tha cat' could have been a factor as well and he told me no, because tha cat' would not have let me pass at 25mph and fail at 15mph.

my question is to any of you experienced technicians or experienced individuals (non-tech') what you suggest i do from here accordin' to my results.

These are tha ASM Emission Test Results @ 15mph

RPM: 1778
    %CO2: 12.2
    %O2: 0.0

HC (PPM) Gross Polluter Limits: 301
    HC (PPM) i measured at: 100

CO (%) Gross Polluter Limits: 2.29
    CO (%) i measured at: 4.34

NO (PPM) Gross Polluter Limits: 2039
    NO (PPM) i measured at: 183

Result: Gross Polluter

These are tha ASM Emission Test Results @ 25mph

RPM: 1907
    %CO2: 14.4
    %O2: 0.2

HC (PPM) Gross Polluter Limits: 251
    HC (PPM) i measured at: 57

CO (%) Gross Polluter Limites: 2.18
    CO (%) i measured at: 0.66

NO (PPM) Gross Polluter Limits: 1839
    NO (PPM) i measured at: 238

Result: Pass

somebody mentioned that i should retard the timing. will that help in reducing my carbon monoxide levels @ 15mph?

i greatly appreciate any feedback and help towards solving this issue,
    -taF

DX User

BUMP

-taF